File and Settings Transfer (Unable to complete)

I installed a fresh copy of XP Prof on my computer. Before I did this, I did
the Files and Settings Wizard, got the old data on two .DAT files IMG00001
and IMG00002, one is over 2GB and the other is about 1.7 GB.

When I tried to retrieve the files on my new installation, I get the message
" The location that you specified does not contain stored information.
Please type a valid folder path into the edit box...... If you entered a
path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must be in the drive.

I have XP Prof with SP2.

I had the files on a USB harddrive formatted to FAT 32, I tried copying the
files onto the computer hard disks, that did not help.

Please HELP I have a lot of valuable data and I need to retrieve them.

Thanks you
2 answers Last reply
More about file settings transfer unable complete

    Dunno if this will help, but it's worth a shot!
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm

    "Daniel Lee" wrote:

    > I installed a fresh copy of XP Prof on my computer. Before I did this, I did
    > the Files and Settings Wizard, got the old data on two .DAT files IMG00001
    > and IMG00002, one is over 2GB and the other is about 1.7 GB.
    >
    > When I tried to retrieve the files on my new installation, I get the message
    > " The location that you specified does not contain stored information.
    > Please type a valid folder path into the edit box...... If you entered a
    > path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must be in the drive.
    >
    > I have XP Prof with SP2.
    >
    > I had the files on a USB harddrive formatted to FAT 32, I tried copying the
    > files onto the computer hard disks, that did not help.
    >
    > Please HELP I have a lot of valuable data and I need to retrieve them.
    >
    > Thanks you

    Hi usasma,

    Thanks for the info. I tried it out but it did not work. The fastconv
    still did not recognize the file. I also tried the decompressing part, the
    fastconv seemed to work with the decompressed file but then it stopped and I
    go an error message "error 13".

    Hope someone else can give me more help.

    Thanks again

    "usasma" wrote:

    > Dunno if this will help, but it's worth a shot!
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm
    >
    > "Daniel Lee" wrote:
    >
    > > I installed a fresh copy of XP Prof on my computer. Before I did this, I did
    > > the Files and Settings Wizard, got the old data on two .DAT files IMG00001
    > > and IMG00002, one is over 2GB and the other is about 1.7 GB.
    > >
    > > When I tried to retrieve the files on my new installation, I get the message
    > > " The location that you specified does not contain stored information.
    > > Please type a valid folder path into the edit box...... If you entered a
    > > path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must be in the drive.
    > >
    > > I have XP Prof with SP2.
    > >
    > > I had the files on a USB harddrive formatted to FAT 32, I tried copying the
    > > files onto the computer hard disks, that did not help.
    > >
    > > Please HELP I have a lot of valuable data and I need to retrieve them.
    > >
    > > Thanks you

Windows XP