Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

User profiles at logon

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
July 19, 2010 1:06:34 PM

Hi,

im looking for a definitive explanation as to whole Users / Admin and the login screen all interact.

Lets start the story. I installed windows 7 32 ultimate on my netbook, set myself up as 'User 1'. Somebody was able to break into my laptop by 'activating' the inbuilt admin account, with default password....and got some of my data.

The annoy thing was 'Admin' then appeared at the login screen along with 'User 1'. The only way I could get rid of it was 'control userpasswords2' and remove the 'Admin' account. there was not optino to disable it so i had to remove it. Problem fixed but

> Is there still an underlying admin account that could be reactivated
> Is 'User 1' now the only user on the machine
> How would I control what accounts appear at logon without physically removing an account

Seen some command line something along the lines off admin:active=yes, what does this do? I tried it and it still appeared at logon until i removed as detailed above

Just trying to educate myself here! dummies guide appreciated

Thanks

More about : user profiles logon

a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 2:26:40 PM

lmartinefc said:
Hi,

im looking for a definitive explanation as to whole Users / Admin and the login screen all interact.

Lets start the story. I installed windows 7 32 ultimate on my netbook, set myself up as 'User 1'. Somebody was able to break into my laptop by 'activating' the inbuilt admin account, with default password....and got some of my data.

The annoy thing was 'Admin' then appeared at the login screen along with 'User 1'. The only way I could get rid of it was 'control userpasswords2' and remove the 'Admin' account. there was not optino to disable it so i had to remove it. Problem fixed but

> Is there still an underlying admin account that could be reactivated
> Is 'User 1' now the only user on the machine
> How would I control what accounts appear at logon without physically removing an account

Seen some command line something along the lines off admin:active=yes, what does this do? I tried it and it still appeared at logon until i removed as detailed above

Just trying to educate myself here! dummies guide appreciated

Thanks





Disable the Administrator account. Hit the Windows key and R together and type cmd into the open box. At the Command Prompt, type net user administrator active:no then hit Enter. Restart the machine and you shouldn't see the Administrator account on the welcome screen. If you need Admin prvileges at any time, right click the relevant executable file and go to Run As Administrator.
July 19, 2010 2:49:55 PM

So...by deleting the admin account in "control userpasswords2" i have completely removed the default admin account. Leaving the only account as 'User 1' (which is setup as an admin account)

How did the guy manage to activate the admin account without knowing my login?

Surely I would have to be logged in to activate any 'active:no' accounts?

He deleted my office installation and some properietary software
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 4:23:28 PM

lmartinefc said:
So...by deleting the admin account in "control userpasswords2" i have completely removed the default admin account. Leaving the only account as 'User 1' (which is setup as an admin account)

How did the guy manage to activate the admin account without knowing my login?




You've got it right up there - "the" Administrator account as opposed to "an" admininsatrive account - one with more privileges than a Limited account but not as much as the System Administrator account. I read your post as to wishing to remove that one from the welcome screen - was I wrong?

You cannot delete that account - Windows needs it too much. He probably got in by using Safe Mode.


July 19, 2010 4:36:42 PM

Hmmm...when I ran "control userpasswords32" i was presented with Administrator and User1. I clicked 'remove' and it said account would never be available again. I did that. Now I only get 'user1' (which is an admin account) as login so all good. But have i completely deleted "THE" administrator account? When I setup an admin account, will it have same rights as overall administrator account.

Also, how would I disable an account if I had, say, 'User1' and 'User2' but only wanted to see 'User1'

Sorry if it sounds vague, just trying to learn about the admin accounts etc...
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 6:21:54 PM

lmartinefc said:
Hmmm...when I ran "control userpasswords32" i was presented with Administrator and User1. I clicked 'remove' and it said account would never be available again. I did that. Now I only get 'user1' (which is an admin account) as login so all good. But have i completely deleted "THE" administrator account? When I setup an admin account, will it have same rights as overall administrator account.

Also, how would I disable an account if I had, say, 'User1' and 'User2' but only wanted to see 'User1'

Sorry if it sounds vague, just trying to learn about the admin accounts etc...


I repeat - you cannot delete the Administrator account but if you wanted to delete an account, you'd have to do so in Control Panel>User Accounts. Control userpasswords 2 only gives you a more advanced set of options than the Control panel variety but all you're doing is removing the account from appearing on the screen.


July 19, 2010 6:30:06 PM

Hmmm...all the examples I saw said to disable it. But I only had an option to remove it, and warned it would never be avail again. Maybe the installer called the account admin? The person I got the machine off

I'll try and load done screenshots
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 7:45:01 PM

lmartinefc said:
Hmmm...all the examples I saw said to disable it. But I only had an option to remove it, and warned it would never be avail again. Maybe the installer called the account admin? The person I got the machine off

I'll try and load done screenshots


That's a possibility. To find out, go to the Command Prompt but type net user administrator active:yes then restart - if it turns up on the Welcome Screen, it would explain a thing or two.
!