I have just encountered a problem that is affecting two Windows XP machines.
I am guessing it is a new virus of some kind, but appearently none of the
virus scanning companies has found it yet.

On both machines Windows no longer boots. It starts, displays the logo, and
freezes on a black screen. If started in safe mode, it freezes right after
starting the AGP440 driver. Both computers have service pack 2 on them.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any help given would be appreciated.

Hi,

I have the same problem, and I must say that is rather interesting
theory. What version of Windows XP are you using, home/professional?

Greg

XP Home

"gsienkiewicz" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the same problem, and I must say that is rather interesting
> theory. What version of Windows XP are you using, home/professional?
>
> Greg

The main reason I think it is a virus is that I was given a computer with
this problem to work on. I first looked at it yesterday and scanned that
machines hard drive, using my work machine's virus scanner. Now my work
machine is showing the same symptoms. I initially thought it was just a
corrupted windows install on the other machine since nothing turned up. I
guess it could also be a problematic windows update.

"gsienkiewicz" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the same problem, and I must say that is rather interesting
> theory. What version of Windows XP are you using, home/professional?
>
> Greg

Personally I don't think that the problem is actually a virus. The
common link between your computers and mine is that the systems had the
updates done to them. That would be a very interesting conandrum for
Microsoft if the updates they are providing are corrupt.

The interesting part is that I can boot the box in "Safe Mode with no
Networking". I will try to remove all the drivers for networking see
how it goes.

Greg

Hmmmm... Now I am pretty sure it is some kind of boot sector virus. I just
re-installed Windows XP on a second hard drive of the same computer and the
second install is having the same problem right from the start.