New Booting Problem

I have just encountered a problem that is affecting two Windows XP machines.
I am guessing it is a new virus of some kind, but appearently none of the
virus scanning companies has found it yet.

On both machines Windows no longer boots. It starts, displays the logo, and
freezes on a black screen. If started in safe mode, it freezes right after
starting the AGP440 driver. Both computers have service pack 2 on them.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any help given would be appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about booting problem

    Hi,

    I have the same problem, and I must say that is rather interesting
    theory. What version of Windows XP are you using, home/professional?

    Greg

    XP Home

    "gsienkiewicz" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the same problem, and I must say that is rather interesting
    > theory. What version of Windows XP are you using, home/professional?
    >
    > Greg

    The main reason I think it is a virus is that I was given a computer with
    this problem to work on. I first looked at it yesterday and scanned that
    machines hard drive, using my work machine's virus scanner. Now my work
    machine is showing the same symptoms. I initially thought it was just a
    corrupted windows install on the other machine since nothing turned up. I
    guess it could also be a problematic windows update.

    "gsienkiewicz" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the same problem, and I must say that is rather interesting
    > theory. What version of Windows XP are you using, home/professional?
    >
    > Greg

    Personally I don't think that the problem is actually a virus. The
    common link between your computers and mine is that the systems had the
    updates done to them. That would be a very interesting conandrum for
    Microsoft if the updates they are providing are corrupt.

    The interesting part is that I can boot the box in "Safe Mode with no
    Networking". I will try to remove all the drivers for networking see
    how it goes.

    Greg

    Hmmmm... Now I am pretty sure it is some kind of boot sector virus. I just
    re-installed Windows XP on a second hard drive of the same computer and the
    second install is having the same problem right from the start.

    "gsienkiewicz" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the same problem, and I must say that is rather interesting
    > theory. What version of Windows XP are you using, home/professional?
    >
    > Greg

Windows XP