How to have Folders view be default view in Windows Explorer

August 15, 2005 1:46:04 PM

Hello,

I've got XP Pro SP2. When I click on the Windows Explorer icon, it opens up
with the left side being the blue bar with File and Folder Tasks, Other
Places and Details showing. I have to manually click on the Folders button
at the top to get the view I want. Is there a way to make this Folders view
be the default view when I open Windows Explorer? Thanks.

Mark

More about : folders view default view windows explorer

August 15, 2005 1:46:05 PM

/Mark Christensen/ said:

> I've got XP Pro SP2. When I click on the Windows Explorer icon, it opens up
> with the left side being the blue bar with File and Folder Tasks, Other
> Places and Details showing. I have to manually click on the Folders button
> at the top to get the view I want. Is there a way to make this Folders view
> be the default view when I open Windows Explorer? Thanks.

On the menu bar, try TOOLS|FOLDER OPTIONS|VIEWS and click the APPLY TO ALL
FOLDERS button.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

That did not work.

"dev" <dev@null.invalid> wrote in message
> /Mark Christensen/ said:
>
>> I've got XP Pro SP2. When I click on the Windows Explorer icon, it opens
>> up
>> with the left side being the blue bar with File and Folder Tasks, Other
>> Places and Details showing. I have to manually click on the Folders
>> button
>> at the top to get the view I want. Is there a way to make this Folders
>> view
>> be the default view when I open Windows Explorer? Thanks.
>
> On the menu bar, try TOOLS|FOLDER OPTIONS|VIEWS and click the APPLY TO ALL
> FOLDERS button.
>
> --
> For most XP answers and tweaks...
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
> http://support.microsoft.com
August 15, 2005 3:02:50 PM

That is called the Common Tasks pane. You want the Folders pane showing.

This will create a shortcut to C: with the Folders Pane showing.
Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
Type or copy and paste this in the box:

%windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:

Next | Finish

Or change the Target of your existing shortcut to
%windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
-----

Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314853

HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856

HOW TO: Have Windows Explorer Default to the %SystemRoot% Drive When Started

HOW TO: Change Windows Explorer Default View to My Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221878

-----

You can also assign a shortcut key to that shortcut.

Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
[[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start
with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the
key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot
use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.

Note
Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you will
not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]

I use Ctrl + Alt + E.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eqdVaqaoFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Mark Christensen <markc@ssbrakes.com> hunted and pecked:
> That did not work.
>

> "dev" <dev@null.invalid> wrote in message
>> /Mark Christensen/ said:
>>
>>> I've got XP Pro SP2. When I click on the Windows Explorer icon, it
>>> opens up
>>> with the left side being the blue bar with File and Folder Tasks, Other
>>> Places and Details showing. I have to manually click on the Folders
>>> button
>>> at the top to get the view I want. Is there a way to make this Folders
>>> view
>>> be the default view when I open Windows Explorer? Thanks.
>>
>> On the menu bar, try TOOLS|FOLDER OPTIONS|VIEWS and click the APPLY TO
>> ALL FOLDERS button.
>>
>> --
>> For most XP answers and tweaks...
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
>> http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
>> http://support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:09:44 PM

That worked great! Thanks.

> That is called the Common Tasks pane. You want the Folders pane showing.
>
> This will create a shortcut to C: with the Folders Pane showing.
> Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
> Type or copy and paste this in the box:
>
> %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
>
> Next | Finish
>
> Or change the Target of your existing shortcut to
> %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE /e,c:
> -----
>
> Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314853
>
> HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856
>
> HOW TO: Have Windows Explorer Default to the %SystemRoot% Drive When
> Started
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=257518
>
> HOW TO: Change Windows Explorer Default View to My Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221878
>
> -----
>
> You can also assign a shortcut key to that shortcut.
>
> Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
> [[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
> want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically
> start
> with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select
> the
> key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You
> cannot
> use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.
>
> Note
> Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
> will
> not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]
>
> I use Ctrl + Alt + E.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:eqdVaqaoFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Mark Christensen <markc@ssbrakes.com> hunted and pecked:
>> That did not work.
>>

>> "dev" <dev@null.invalid> wrote in message

>>> On the menu bar, try TOOLS|FOLDER OPTIONS|VIEWS and click the APPLY TO
>>> ALL FOLDERS button.
>>>
>>> --
>>> For most XP answers and tweaks...
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm