Apparently, something malicious attacked my pc and disabled ALL services.
Microsoft assisted me with re-starting some of these so that I was able to
get back on line, print, and use Help & Support, but many are still disabled.
Does anyone publish a list of recommended default services that should be
enabled/started?

This is a single home computer running XP SR2. I am a power Office user and
utilize my pc as my sound system. I do lots of web research.

get you headed in right direction
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sys_srv_default_settings.mspx