How to check FPS in Quake 3?

G

I just installed my Geforce3 Ti200 and I'd like to check the fps in quake 3, but I have no idea what the command is. I am also having problems with the nvidia refresh rate fix since I installed the new card. My monitor is capable of 100, but is going back to 60 when I start a game. The fix install said it didn't recognize my hardware. I never had this problem with my gf2 mx400. Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post :)

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
The quick method is to type "/cg_drawfps 1" at the console. This will give you a continuous fps display. I think this is the best way to check your fps in quake as it allows you to see the "low spots" in your fps when things get busy.

To run a traditional benchmark do these commands
/timedemo 1
/demo <demoname here>

after the demo is run by the second command, bring down the console to see the results of the run. Keep in mind there are about a bajillion versions of quake 3 out there (1.17, 1.29, 1.30 etc) and many demos are incompatible with some versions. Just something to keep in mind if you get errors running a demo.

as far as your display refresh...my memory is a bit faded on this one, but when quake starts up it will kick your monitor to 60hz by default. The command for changing this is *I believe*

/displayrefresh X

It might be something like /r_displayrefresh or something. try typing

/r_

at the console and then hitting tab to "fill in" the rest of the command.

Quake does NOT do any kind of sanity check so be careful not to set your refresh past the capabilities of your monitor.

If you have any more questions on this topic, I would post them on the tech support forums at www.quake3world.com You'll probably get a really good answer within an hour.