Help! No monitor Signal with Geforce 2 MX

G

Hi guys,

I just assembled a new system, p4-1.5ghz, KOB 850 FSX m/b (mercury) , 256 rdram, geforce 2 mx. The problem is, when i plugged in my geforce 2 on the mainboard, the fan spun for a while, but there wasn't any signal on my monitor. so i powered the system down, and turned it on again. To my horror, the GPU fan isn't spinning anymore! and still there wasn't any signal. I tried the card on my old system, at first it didn't work, but after several tries it works. Any idea why this happens..? seems to work at random...

BTW, I've an old Graphic Blaster (AGP) card which i previously tried on the new P4 board. The connector pins are the other way round ( see below )

====== ====
--- ------

'=' denotes AGP port
'-' denotes card connector pin

So i inverted the card and pluged it the OTHER way round , get what i mean? and i plugged the monitor cable in, which went into the casing .. I know that's silly.. but just a try. I wonder if I burnt the AGP port by doing that.. which causes my new Geforce 2 not to work.

Thanks a million, will appreciate if some advice is given.

Cheers,
Damian

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOu plugged a PCI card into an AGP slot?
The AGP power pins are all one the video connector end of the slot. Plugging in ANY card backwards is a sure way to make it fail. What's worse is that if it's an AGP PRO slot you can plug into the high power connectors. Pay no attention to the groves in the card, just line the rear of the slot (toward the front of the board) up when installing it, as an AGP PRO has extra power pins on the front of the slot (back of the board). You have just enough knowlege of this hardware to cause severe damage to any parts, hire a tech.

Back to you Tom...