Which is better?

So a deal popped up on newegg and i was wondering which Laptop is better. The laptop will be used for mostly school/youtube stuff. But I also want to play minecraft on it. Before you say anything I already have a gaming macine to play my other games. I just want this if I want to play MC on the couch at night.

Acer Aspire V3 571G-6479 - $750
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215683CVF

Acer Aspire Ethos AS5951G-9816 - $850 (on sale)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215299


If there is a better laptop around $750 on newegg.ca tell me. Thanks for the help in advance.
15 answers Last reply
More about which better
  1. I'd get the V3 571 and save the $100.

    You shouldn't notice the difference between an i7 and an i5 for gameing use... unless you are crunching serious numbers.

    TheV3 has better graphics and more memory.
  2. I like the 1st choice; more ram and basically other specs are the same.
  3. Thanks for the quick reply's. I guess I'm sticking with the V3.
  4. groundrat said:
    I'd get the V3 571 and save the $100.

    You shouldn't notice the difference between an i7 and an i5 for gameing use... unless you are crunching serious numbers.

    TheV3 has better graphics and more memory.


    ... wrong. Those are MOBILE chips - the i5 is a dual core w/o hyperthreading, and the i7 is a quad core w/o hyperthreading.

    That'll make a fairly big difference for minecraft, which isn't anywhere close to graphically intensive... but does count as "crunching serious numbers."
  5. +1 to DarkSable. This isn't a desktop comparison and because of that, you have to look at the core counts. All mobile i5s and some mobile i7s are dual-core CPUs and some mobile i7s are quad-core CPUs (models with the QM suffix in their model number are the quad core models). Mobile i5s are just mobile i3s with more cache and Turbo and a few other extra features.
  6. blazorthon said:
    +1 to DarkSable. This isn't a desktop comparison and because of that, you have to look at the core counts. All mobile i5s and some mobile i7s are dual-core CPUs and some mobile i7s are quad-core CPUs (models with the QM suffix in their model number are the quad core models). Mobile i5s are just mobile i3s with more cache and Turbo and a few other extra features.

    But would the performance be enough to justify the extra $100
  7. mrcanadianaviator said:
    But would the performance be enough to justify the extra $100


    I would argue so - the mobile i5s are a very bad pick, as they're really just i3s with a slightly higher core clock and a significantly higher price. When it comes to productivity and speed, one really wants a quad core for a laptop, as the mobile chips aren't nearly as fast as a desktop processor. (Meaning they make up for it with more cores.)
  8. The Acer Aspire V3-571G-6479 is lighter, has a much better GPU and better battery life. The i5 is a dual core but IS quad threaded. It's Ivy Bridge and turbos to 3.1GHz. I would go with the V3.
  9. nvalhalla said:
    The Acer Aspire V3-571G-6479 is lighter, has a much better GPU and better battery life. The i5 is a dual core but IS quad threaded. It's Ivy Bridge and turbos to 3.1GHz. I would go with the V3.

    No, The Ethos has a 7 hour battery life and the V3 has a 4.5 hour battery life.
  10. Because I cant get the money from my parents the Ethos is out and the Samsung soldout. So now i'm down to the CX 61 and the v3. They are very similar but the MSi one has a better GPU. I am not sure how reliable and trustworthy MSi laptops are. Whichever one is more reliable I will get because I don't want it to break after 2-3 years.
  11. the ethos is over 7 lbs, i'd advise against that. take a look at sony, asus, samsung, or lenovo those are reliable brands, hp may be a good choice too. the acer is quite good, but i'm sure lenovo has something better for a little more, or about the same price.
  12. I was looking at the Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 Laptop - 59360242 or the IdeaPad Y500 Laptop - 59360241 but am still unsure. Heard they are having some issues with the touchpad but can be fixed under warranty and sometimes have issues with wif connectivity. I'm still looking around but not sure how much longer this one will be at this price. http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=457&Code=59360242&category_id=5B0116E237099FA0FCA012D9B20ED2FB
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=457&Code=59360241&category_id=5B0116E237099FA0FCA012D9B20ED2FB
  13. Those laptops look real nice but they are on the American store. On the canadian store the one similar spec'd one with 1080p monitor (which is the most appeling thing about that laptop.) is too much. How do you feel about the MSi CX61 and how reliable MSi laptops are.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152377
  14. attk mast3r said:
    the ethos is over 7 lbs, i'd advise against that. take a look at sony, asus, samsung, or lenovo those are reliable brands, hp may be a good choice too. the acer is quite good, but i'm sure lenovo has something better for a little more, or about the same price.

    I've read lots of bad things about HP and Dell laptops.
Ask a new question

Read More

Acer Laptops Aspire