Icons and tasbar now missing in action......

I'm running XP Home on an HP laptop, which has worked beautifully for over
two years, and suddenly when I rebooted after uninstalling a couple of
programs (the right way), there is nothing. I can get into Safe Mode, but am
unable to restore (have gone back a month with no help) or restore to last
good configuration. My laptop did not come with a recovery disc for Windows.
HP wanted $300 and for me to send it to them so they could fix it. Help! I
work from home as a part time job and really need my laptop back......any
helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. I am posting this from work, but
can check from my husband's desktop computer for reponses. Thank you!

One of Kelly's tweaks might do the trick - instructions at the top of page.

Line 117 – Restore Taskbar and Start Menu

or Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

Christine wrote:
> I'm running XP Home on an HP laptop, which has worked beautifully for
> over two years, and suddenly when I rebooted after uninstalling a
> couple of programs (the right way), there is nothing. I can get into
> Safe Mode, but am unable to restore (have gone back a month with no
> help) or restore to last good configuration. My laptop did not come
> with a recovery disc for Windows. HP wanted $300 and for me to send
> it to them so they could fix it. Help! I work from home as a part
> time job and really need my laptop back......any helpful hints would
> be greatly appreciated. I am posting this from work, but can check
> from my husband's desktop computer for reponses. Thank you!

Actually, I discovered the problem last night in reading some of the other
posts to this site. I had StopZilla installed, and in their last update,
they had blacklisted explorer.exe. All I had to do was stop the stopzilla
processes from running, and run explorer.exe, and my problem resolved. I
have since uninstalled Stopzilla and called them to discontinue their
service! What a pain in the neck.

I had tried Kelly's fixes, but since Stopzilla was still running, it didn't
work, Stopzilla immediately removed explorer.exe again. I just wish HP had
known about this......

"TaurArian [MVP]" wrote:

> One of Kelly's tweaks might do the trick - instructions at the top of page.

> Line 117 – Restore Taskbar and Start Menu
>
> or Line #195 "Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar"
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>

> Christine wrote:
> > I'm running XP Home on an HP laptop, which has worked beautifully for
> > over two years, and suddenly when I rebooted after uninstalling a
> > couple of programs (the right way), there is nothing. I can get into
> > Safe Mode, but am unable to restore (have gone back a month with no
> > help) or restore to last good configuration. My laptop did not come
> > with a recovery disc for Windows. HP wanted $300 and for me to send
> > it to them so they could fix it. Help! I work from home as a part
> > time job and really need my laptop back......any helpful hints would
> > be greatly appreciated. I am posting this from work, but can check
> > from my husband's desktop computer for reponses. Thank you!

Thank you for the feed back, it may assist someone else.
Kaylene