Inspiron 1100 : Keyboard shot or hotkeys?

Hello all,

I've got an Inspiron 1100 (WinXP Home) here that has allegedly had 'some
chocolate milk' spilled on the keyboard in the not so distant past (I'd
guess few to several weeks).

Sure enough, pressing the "L" key (at desktop)causes the system to log off
to the WinXP user login splash. The letter "C" makes the current window
inactive. There are also other similar quirks I won't get into. (Including
what appears the occasional 'pause' key activation during the Dell Splash,
as pressing the spacebar or 'enter' causes the system to load BIOS and boot
w/o any more problems.)

1) Any chance I'm missing some enabled hotkey functions, or...

2) Is there any way to effectively remove (I can handle that) and clean the
keyboard w/o replacement?

3) System is out of warranty and appears to function normally with a
standard USB keyboard plugged in - no weirdness.\

4) I plan to call spare parts and check on the price for a replacement (and
I'll have a look at online sources as well.)

Thanks for any info.or ideas....feel free to shout it out.

Stew

BigJim

my advice is to replace the keyboard.
If your going to try to clean it remove it from the laptop.
You can get directions to do this from dell's web site.
To possibly clean it use a good tuner cleaner or electronic clean your local
Radio Shack should have it.
Here's a link for a keyboard....29.00 dollars us
http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=29

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> my advice is to replace the keyboard.
> If your going to try to clean it remove it from the laptop.
> You can get directions to do this from dell's web site.
> To possibly clean it use a good tuner cleaner or electronic clean your
> local Radio Shack should have it.
> Here's a link for a keyboard....29.00 dollars us
> http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=29

Thanks, Jim. Whatever I do (or did) to clean it, I was obviously planning
to remove the kb.

Dell spare parts price is $24.99 new or $14.99 refurb, + item cost, shipping
and tax.....

It's been two months since the "chocolate milk" debacle, and according to
the owner, the machine did have multiple keys that caused it to log out
unexpectedly, but now it's just one or two.

Hmm. Any other votes for an electronics cleaner?

Stew