Bad Image Error

Received the following error while trying to clean up my daughter computer

dinst.exe Bad Image
c:\windows\dsr.dll is not a valid image. Please check initial configuration

Computer will run in safe mode but not in normal mde as any screen movement
created the error then windows reloads.

I tried system restore but there were no restore dates available

I was trying to get rid of aurora which is one popup after another.

ANy help would be appreciated

Glenn
3 answers Last reply
More about image error

    dinst.exe is GrandStreet parasite variant - detected by Kaspersky antivirus
    as Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Intexp.d
    http://castlecops.com/s10722-dinst_exe.html

    Manual removal instructions here...
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/GrandStreet.html

    dsr.dll is Adware.DrSearch
    http://castlecops.com/tk2119-Band_Class.html

    Update antivirus software and do a complete system scan.

    Update antispyware software and run them also.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DDCF606B-E94D-4B88-AD96-3C11A76541CB@microsoft.com,
    ggebber <ggebber@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Received the following error while trying to clean up my daughter computer
    >
    > dinst.exe Bad Image
    > c:\windows\dsr.dll is not a valid image. Please check initial
    > configuration
    >
    > Computer will run in safe mode but not in normal mde as any screen
    > movement created the error then windows reloads.
    >
    > I tried system restore but there were no restore dates available
    >
    > I was trying to get rid of aurora which is one popup after another.
    >
    > ANy help would be appreciated
    >
    > Glenn

    Wes
    The manual instructions did not work or I am not getting to the proper
    directory while in Safe Mode
    Thanks

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > dinst.exe is GrandStreet parasite variant - detected by Kaspersky antivirus
    > as Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Intexp.d
    > http://castlecops.com/s10722-dinst_exe.html
    >
    > Manual removal instructions here...
    > http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/GrandStreet.html
    >
    > dsr.dll is Adware.DrSearch
    > http://castlecops.com/tk2119-Band_Class.html
    >
    > Update antivirus software and do a complete system scan.
    >
    > Update antispyware software and run them also.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:DDCF606B-E94D-4B88-AD96-3C11A76541CB@microsoft.com,
    > ggebber <ggebber@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Received the following error while trying to clean up my daughter computer
    > >
    > > dinst.exe Bad Image
    > > c:\windows\dsr.dll is not a valid image. Please check initial
    > > configuration
    > >
    > > Computer will run in safe mode but not in normal mde as any screen
    > > movement created the error then windows reloads.
    > >
    > > I tried system restore but there were no restore dates available
    > >
    > > I was trying to get rid of aurora which is one popup after another.
    > >
    > > ANy help would be appreciated
    > >
    > > Glenn

    Do you have any of the following?

    Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
    good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
    just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
    you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
    anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

    1a) CWShredder ver. 2.13 direct download:
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

    2) SpywareBlaster
    Does not remove anything, only helps prevent scumwre being installed.
    [[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
    ever being installed.
    The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
    SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

    3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

    4) HijackThis (More for the advanced user)

    4a) HijackThis (direct download)
    http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

    5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    6) ToolbarCop
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    7) Ad-aware SE Personal

    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3A837208-C069-47B3-8B3B-A0269959DA7B@microsoft.com,
    ggebber <ggebber@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes
    > The manual instructions did not work or I am not getting to the proper
    > directory while in Safe Mode
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> dinst.exe is GrandStreet parasite variant - detected by Kaspersky
    >> antivirus as Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Intexp.d
    >> http://castlecops.com/s10722-dinst_exe.html
    >>
    >> Manual removal instructions here...
    >> http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/GrandStreet.html
    >>
    >> dsr.dll is Adware.DrSearch
    >> http://castlecops.com/tk2119-Band_Class.html
    >>
    >> Update antivirus software and do a complete system scan.
    >>
    >> Update antispyware software and run them also.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:DDCF606B-E94D-4B88-AD96-3C11A76541CB@microsoft.com,
    >> ggebber <ggebber@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Received the following error while trying to clean up my daughter
    >>> computer
    >>>
    >>> dinst.exe Bad Image
    >>> c:\windows\dsr.dll is not a valid image. Please check initial
    >>> configuration
    >>>
    >>> Computer will run in safe mode but not in normal mde as any screen
    >>> movement created the error then windows reloads.
    >>>
    >>> I tried system restore but there were no restore dates available
    >>>
    >>> I was trying to get rid of aurora which is one popup after another.
    >>>
    >>> ANy help would be appreciated
    >>>
    >>> Glenn

Windows XP