Gaming laptop is worth more than a desktop pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvinzd

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I think gaming laptop right now is really worthed to buy than a desktop pc. I knew this a pretty strong statement,but in my country i calculate the component Setup that will produce a certain performance the chassis and the mouse & keyboard and monitor speaker everything,OS,PSU! And i found some gaming laptop with that certain performance and it's the same price! Even lower,with all the thing bundled into 1 thing and you don't need to running around the shop to found every component right, i mean you got a very reliable warranty(laptop with certain brand example:msi),and the most important thing portable!.maybe some of you won't agree,maybe because"laptop screen is small"or"it' performance miles away than a desktop" or still it's pretty weighty".but if you really like that "big screen" why don't you just buy an 17.3 inch or 18.4 inch laptop or just plug it your 40" tv?.(notice that i knew that there is difference performance in the same type of component example:gtx 660m is different than gtx 660 desktop,but it will match gtx 560 or a gtx 650 ti,maybe just a little bit different speed(that miles ahead statement is just too much underestimate laptop,which i was too but this year is real different,with the nvidia 700m and amd 8000m series will be available),i mean who cares about that very little bit difference,with a gtx 660m you can play bf3 full hd ultra setting 30fps+(maybe just some setting lowered by just 1 level,no one will ever notice in the real gaming session).with gtx 660m(already a kepler model which is nice :)) you can get a laptop with just weight 2.4 kg,that's much better than your pc tower 6kg-8kg(that's really not practical ,even if you manage somehow to bring it around,you still have to bring the speaker,monitor,mouse keyboard, that's just impossible),ooo,about battery life(still a downside,(just 2 hours hard gaming, 4 is top and you can just plug in the ac adapter but some of you will say"ooo,then we got a moving deaktop gaming!",as i mention earlier,laptop much practical than a desktop pc to get the maximum use ,some of you will find this subjective and some of you will find this a fact and.some of you will find this is ****. But i still in hold my opinion hard.remember you always can consider laptop that more poweful than gtx 660m .in store right now there are much choice of powerful gaming laptop.
People are just too biased to believe something radical even it's right.

mattd3219

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
I agree with most of what you are saying. Keep in mind, for some of us it's not just about components. I game on a desktop because I travel a lot.

I have my desktop, a notebook, and a tablet. Depending on how light I want to travel, dictates what I take with me.

I also am a fan of Desktops because the average user can swap components. Just my thoughts!

arvinzd

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Thanks for that,barebone msi laptop link.i just realize msi have barebone laptop.
Ya,i agree about the desktop is much more easily swappable component than a laptop buy.(it reminds me my sad experience with the desktop pc) on 2009 i've an entry desktop setup(still core 2 duo ,and ddr2 ram.250 gb hdd an nvidia gt 9800.)in range 1 year i still can upgrade component easily.but when i want to upgrade on 2011 i was in shock that, the mobo i used is not compatible anymore with any components in store! They told me i have to change almost everything in my pc setup,then it cost pretty much.and i's just never been the same.and i think is much better to periodically i "refresh" component every 3 years.then i think again it's a better option to buy laptop every 3 years.

my 2 cents, the only reason to buy a laptop is the need for portability. other than that, im in for a desktop hands down.

running around the shop? maybe it's just me, but running around and actually building it is half the fun.

a few things i like about desktop, first, you pick your parts. sure it takes some know-how, but selecting based on performance, price, looks, etc, is fun for me. Loads of cases to choose from, different fans, cooling configuration. Case modification.
also, this one, a big advantage for me and a big disadvantage of a laptop. UPGRADES. Let's see here, a desktop and a laptop, both 2 years old. A desktop, you can upgrade practically any part. To a laptop, what, ram and hdd? sure sometimes other parts can be replaced but that is rare. And when you decided to buy a new one, for a laptop you replace practically everything, even the freakin monitor.
for a desktop, you keep the case if you want to, the keyboard/mouse, psu, gpu, etc.

if you have thermal issues, you can fix it. for a laptop, you can only do so much. and yes i like 24/27 inch monitors.

sorry for the long post, just my 2 cents, to each his own.

arvinzd

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Yeah,that's one of my concern too about changing the key board ,mouse,even monitor.but you know i'm kinda a techy guy so i would really be have no problem with changing the " other thing" beside core component,because who knows 3 years later maybe a monitor with a very decent quality(not a tn,and "real led"ips,or even.120hz (3d monitor become standard),because now is just not happening .and you know there are some brands that is a desktop killer ,which allow it's user to upgrade gpu,cpu,thermal paste,even the monitor.)and
The msi G series now features gaming killer lan modem.with a price lower than the desktop version

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I see where your coming from. I can't fully disagree or agree with it as what you are saying can be right in some situations and true if you do things a certain way.

For me I prefer desktops due to being able to build it from the ground up and choose my parts. Have it setup with vastly superior cooling, and overclock it well beyond what you can do with a laptop due to this. Not to mention you have access to far more powerful components if you so choose.

And than you can easily do a quick "refresh" on components every few years. I personally plan to delay it till the parts are useless for me anymore and just use the case, optical drives, HD's, and anything else I can salvage. And keep the monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. So I only have to replace the main components, which to me makes the 2nd time around when you do the upgrades vastly cheaper.

Though if you prefer to not overclock, and always buy everything new (keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc) when you upgrade the tower I can see how just buying the laptop be a good option. Especially if you don't build the desktop towers by yourself your more limited on good components and I can see a laptop and desktop equaling about the same price and performance when everything is factored into together when I stop to think about it. And add in the fact that it is mobile, I can see where your views come from quite easily.

Will I ever go the gaming laptop route again, no probably not I had too many bad experiences with it. I think I stick to my cheap lightweight laptops like my chromebook and my power hungry overclocked tower desktops to game and get real work done. It just works for me.

Just keep in mind that any laptop that compares to any desktop component wise, the desktop will stomp it in the mud performance wise. As an example, a mobile i7 and 680m will get beat down by a desktop i7 and discrete 680.

ram1009

Distinguished

I'm sorry to tell you that you have a lot to learn. The cure for wanting a laptop is owning a laptop. Good luck.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

^this.

For a laptop to be on par with a desktop build your going to spend about twice as much. A i7 mobile proc, or 680m (mobile version) is a lot different then your 3770k or discrete 680.

It's a good theory and as technology advances I think they'll get there. But they aren't on par yet. Not even close really.

You mentioned the 700m coming out but it will just be a rebadge of the same old 600m series and the same goes for AMD this year too. The GTX 675M or 680M could be decent for a gaming laptop specially if you play at 1600x900 resolution. I suspect in 2014-2015 your argument will be more valid but today laptops just don't have enough GPU to satisfy most gamers.

Something that has been going on lately is SFF gaming PC's. For those who don't value portability as much to buy a laptop but don't want a large PC.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd
http://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadbolt.asp?id=734513&price=%24999

helz IT

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I made the mistake of buying a gaming laptop about 7 years ago. I paid $1,500 for a machine that ran games worse than a desktop I could have built for $1,000, it weighed twice as much as a normal laptop (not even counting its gigantic power adapter), it had worse battery life, and it ran hotter.

I learned my lesson. For almost the same amount of money you can build a decent gaming desktop and get a laptop for work, and they'll both be superior for their particular functions.

arvinzd

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Not really,i don't thing that is the "cure" maybe tell me another "cure" to buy a laptop,maybe i miss something.i'll retell you that i was a desktop buider,user,fanboy,of course i have to learn more,everyone does!.

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

Exactly. Power laptops only advantage to a Power desktop is portability. End of story.

arvinzd

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

7 years ago?Even at 2011-2012 i still hate notebooks i wouldn't consider to myself to buy a laptop 2 years ago.but now laptops are much more stronger,faster,lighter,quality.that's.why now i consider to buu a gaming laptop that below that $1500 price tag.i'm only consider to buy a gaming laptop that below $1100

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
gtx 660m is different than gtx 660 desktop,but it will match gtx 560 or a gtx 650 ti,maybe just a little bit different speed

Feel free to check out the Graphics card hierarchy which also has guesstimates of some mobile chipsets.

The 660M is in the same slot as the Discrete: 8800 Ultra, 9800 GTX, 9800 GTX+, GTS 250, GTS 450.

The GTX560 and 650Ti are 3 tiers higher up, which represents a notable difference.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Just FYI OP, a 660m is slower than a 650 desktop chip (same chip just at 950 with boost opposed to 1058mhz).

But because a laptop includes all parts (os, keyboard, screen, speakers) a cheap laptop <$600 often has better functionality (or very similar) than a cheap desktop assuming you are starting with nothing.

arvinzd

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

That's kinda the thing that i talking about. Cheap desktop is bad in my experience

well, if it is cheap, laptop or desktop, you really should not expect much from it.

while it is true that in 3 years time you will probably replace even your monitor, the thing is, you can get better performance by buying selected parts without replacing your case, monitor, etc. unlike a laptop that you basically replace everything.

and yes, mobile gpu/cpu's are slower due to thermal issues. imagine that heat source (gpu) with a gigantic cooler, try cramping that same heat source and cramp it into a laptop body. so they have to tone things down to compensate, otherwise it might melt :)

zvmanning

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Meh it's all about preference. Laptops have the same power as desktops, and have the opportunity to be just as cool as a desktop without having any stupid water cooling added onto it. MAX settings to me, is not worth it anymore sitting in my room locked down because my gaming rig is 50lbs of ridiculous. I would much rather carry a 10lb gaming laptop that can run the same for about the same price even. To match desktops completely one must obviously spend 2000 + on a laptop. 7months later im sick of my 7970 build and want a laptop replacement. Being comfortable while gaming is what i want. I can't sit down and focus on games anymore i need to move around and be comfortable playing anywhere besides my room.

All preference related. I think laptops are better. I used to be that guy who thought oh yeah 100fps is so awesome, when really 50 - 60 is all you need and a lot of laptops can do that at a price lower than building a desktop. Powerful cool laptop > Desktop any day for me.

Also no choice is a good choice, graphics cards are expensive as balls, they only get more expensive the better they get. 500$ every 3 years, not too bad but then other parts start to die and things collapse. Same thing with laptops, it all has to do with luck

Do what you want, be tied down with a desktop if you don't like moving much, or get a laptop! <3

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
It's down to preference but a gaming laptop is harder to troubleshoot. Unless you are good in building laptops, then I don't see how you can upgrade your laptop in a couple years down the road. Whereas a desktop, you can upgrade it later on easier than laptops.

Same power as desktops? Not even close. Not even on their best day. If that were even remotely true, why would there be high end cooling products? Or even graphics cards? When just a simple slot fan would suffice? Or a dumbed down mobile GPU? Well it doesnt really, ask anyone who actually has a gaming laptop how difficult they are to keep cool. Mobile solutions will never be as powerful as a desktop, when dollar for dollar comparisons are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.