GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I just bought a KVM swith (JustCom) for 2 XP machines, and it worked
for a bout 10 seconds )as both machines were booting) then one of the
PCs "found new hardware" and "installed" it, and it stopped working.
There is a key combination to make it toggle, and it simply doesn't
work. It could be the fault of the switch I'm sure, but then I would
think they would blame it on windows.
I noticed in the Device Manager that it says Com1, Com2 and the VGA
adaptor have problems, basically there are no drivers installed. I
tried to reinstall, update, roll back, install from the Windows CD,
tried a windows update, and it says there are no drivers available to
install or reinstall. I tried several System Restores and it always
says it couldn't do the restore (no reason given).
Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is maybe trying to
Uninstall the hardware, or maybe reinstall windows (always fun, but I
don't want that much fun so I think I'll look for another solution if
possible.)
Any ideas?

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
>I just bought a KVM swith (JustCom) for 2 XP machines, and it worked
> for a bout 10 seconds )as both machines were booting) then one of the
> PCs "found new hardware" and "installed" it, and it stopped working.
> There is a key combination to make it toggle, and it simply doesn't
> work. It could be the fault of the switch I'm sure, but then I would
> think they would blame it on windows.
> I noticed in the Device Manager that it says Com1, Com2 and the VGA
> adaptor have problems, basically there are no drivers installed. I
> tried to reinstall, update, roll back, install from the Windows CD,
> tried a windows update, and it says there are no drivers available to
> install or reinstall. I tried several System Restores and it always
> says it couldn't do the restore (no reason given).
> Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is maybe trying to
> Uninstall the hardware, or maybe reinstall windows (always fun, but I
> don't want that much fun so I think I'll look for another solution if
> possible.)
> Any ideas?

Sounds to me like a duff device. Do you have any other machines that you
could test it with? - just to confirm that it really is duff. Then take it
back and get it replaced.

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I'm finding now that I can get it to work on 2 different PCs, but all
are bascially the same versions of Windows XP, there shouldn't be any
real difference. So what about this particular PC could be making it
not work?

> I'm finding now that I can get it to work on 2 different PCs, but all
> are bascially the same versions of Windows XP, there shouldn't be any
> real difference. So what about this particular PC could be making it
> not work?

I've no idea. If it works with two pcs then that tends to imply that the KVM
switch is okay. I think some switches are fussy about when you try to switch
them - trying to switch when a pc is powering up causes them problems, but
I'm clutching at straws.

Brian.

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

I use a Belkin KVM switch, and at times it will not switch. I have to power
down both computers, unplug the switch from both, the plug it back into
one,(making sure the led on top of the thing comes on), turn that computer
off, then plug it into the other one, make sure the light came on for *that*
one, then turn it on, then turn the first one back on. If that doesn't
work, start over and do it in a different order, but I can always get it
back to switching...:)

--

Cheers,
Tinkerer

"Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> wrote in message
<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> I'm finding now that I can get it to work on 2 different PCs, but all
> are bascially the same versions of Windows XP, there shouldn't be any
> real difference. So what about this particular PC could be making it
> not work?

I've no idea. If it works with two pcs then that tends to imply that the KVM
switch is okay. I think some switches are fussy about when you try to switch
them - trying to switch when a pc is powering up causes them problems, but
I'm clutching at straws.

Brian.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

If this is an electronic switch, they don't like motherboards that are USB
capable because of the wiring differences. The Belkin I had was a push
button type and did not seem to care, but my new one I had to dump my
Microsoft Natural keyboard and get another one that was not USB capable.

Clark

"Tinkerer" <me@myhouse.com> wrote in message
>I use a Belkin KVM switch, and at times it will not switch. I have to
>power
> down both computers, unplug the switch from both, the plug it back into
> one,(making sure the led on top of the thing comes on), turn that computer
> off, then plug it into the other one, make sure the light came on for
> *that*
> one, then turn it on, then turn the first one back on. If that doesn't
> work, start over and do it in a different order, but I can always get it
> back to switching...:)
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
> Tinkerer
>

> "Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> wrote in message
> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
>> I'm finding now that I can get it to work on 2 different PCs, but all
>> are bascially the same versions of Windows XP, there shouldn't be any
>> real difference. So what about this particular PC could be making it
>> not work?
>
> I've no idea. If it works with two pcs then that tends to imply that the
> KVM
> switch is okay. I think some switches are fussy about when you try to
> switch
> them - trying to switch when a pc is powering up causes them problems, but
> I'm clutching at straws.
>
> Brian.

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Well I ditched the JustCom KVM and purhcased a cheaper no one, and it
works great.
Lesson learned: some KVMs do use the OS, which is a bad thing.

> Well I ditched the JustCom KVM and purhcased a cheaper no one, and it
> works great.
> Lesson learned: some KVMs do use the OS, which is a bad thing.

Glad you now have a working one. Like Tinkerer, I've had good experiences
with Belkin. Which KVM switch did you go for in the end and did you manage
to get your money back on it?

Brian.

--
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I went with a simple one from TrendNet, from buy.com. I didn't get all
my money back, PC Club charged me a re-stocking fee, and it was the
only brand they carried so I didn't want to just exchange it. The
Trendnet one has a physical button, as well as a hot key combo, and
it's fast, and one PC could be turned off and it still works fine. :)