Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II Chipset

chluu

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2001
Hello,

I would like to replace my aging Diamond Viper II card with something a bit more up to date with current drivers. I was considering an ATI Radeon 64 DDR or a Hercules Prophet 4500 (Kyro II Chipset). I'm leaning towards the Prophet due to the price. I did notice that the Hercules Prophet 4500 does not perform Transform & Lighting. Is this of any significance? I only play games occasionally, those I do enjoy require a decent 3D card. Do you guys think the Prophet 4500 is a good card or should I go with the Radeon or an Nvidia based card?

Thanks,

Claude Luu
claude_luu@hotmail.com

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Radeon DDR will give you better performance, but if I was buying a card I would go with the Gainward Geforce2 Pro that's clocked outrageously high.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I had a bad experiance with the Kryo II, I am still in Pentium 3 land on a 440 BX board. There seemed to be a fundamental incompatibiloty between them. Basicly what happened is when I plugged the card into the AGP slot and applied power, I would get a BIOS error signaling that the card was not properly plugged in. I later found that the board was zapping the cards (2 replacements later). Has any one else found this problem?

Democracy Bernad, it must be stopped!