Need Help re-installing Windows XP Pro

It seems I need to re-install XP Pro. The number pad on the keyboard stopped
working and while troubleshooting with a Dell tech last night he determined
that my operating system is corupt. He said that I need to reinstall windows.
I'm not happy about this. :-(
I've already backed up my data. Now I need to make sure I know what I'm
doing before I begin. Does anyone have a how-to to help me through this? What
about the device drivers? How do I reinstall them?
I would appriciate any help anyone can give me!

Roadrunner

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004

Hi .. If you have a windows xp disc ? What you need to do is enter your bios
screen and make sure you can boot off your CD Rom drive , Meaning your boot
order must be set up to boot off the CD Rom first , Afterward once that is
done just save that setting ..... At that point just do the following

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart your
computer.
2. At the Windows XP Setup menu, press Enter to continue setup.
3. Press F8 to agree the License Agreement. Then press Esc to continue a
fresh copy without repairing.
4. Press D to delete the selected partition, then press Enter.
5. Press L to confirm. After you delete the partition, press Enter to
install Windows XP. You can use the UP and DOWN arrows keys to select and
format the partition as NTFS or FAT32. Press Enter again to format the
partiton.
6. Remove any floppies or CD-ROM before your computer restarts. Then follow
the setup instructions to finish the installation process.

Also you might want to check out these websites in how its done as well

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcas...xp_sg_clean.asp

http://michaelstevenstech.com/

"SandBerns" <SandBerns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It seems I need to re-install XP Pro. The number pad on the keyboard
> stopped
> working and while troubleshooting with a Dell tech last night he
> determined
> that my operating system is corupt. He said that I need to reinstall
> windows.
> I'm not happy about this. :-(
> I've already backed up my data. Now I need to make sure I know what I'm
> doing before I begin. Does anyone have a how-to to help me through this?
> What
> about the device drivers? How do I reinstall them?
> I would appriciate any help anyone can give me!

Roadrunner

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004

Sorry for the first link , it seem its no longer available but , try this
link instead

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

"RoadRunner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi .. If you have a windows xp disc ? What you need to do is enter your
> bios
> screen and make sure you can boot off your CD Rom drive , Meaning your
> boot
> order must be set up to boot off the CD Rom first , Afterward once that is
> done just save that setting ..... At that point just do the following
>
> 1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart your
> computer.
> 2. At the Windows XP Setup menu, press Enter to continue setup.
> 3. Press F8 to agree the License Agreement. Then press Esc to continue a
> fresh copy without repairing.
> 4. Press D to delete the selected partition, then press Enter.
> 5. Press L to confirm. After you delete the partition, press Enter to
> install Windows XP. You can use the UP and DOWN arrows keys to select and
> format the partition as NTFS or FAT32. Press Enter again to format the
> partiton.
> 6. Remove any floppies or CD-ROM before your computer restarts. Then
> follow
> the setup instructions to finish the installation process.
>
> Also you might want to check out these websites in how its done as well
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcas...xp_sg_clean.asp
>
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/

> "SandBerns" <SandBerns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> It seems I need to re-install XP Pro. The number pad on the keyboard
>> stopped
>> working and while troubleshooting with a Dell tech last night he
>> determined
>> that my operating system is corupt. He said that I need to reinstall
>> windows.
>> I'm not happy about this. :-(
>> I've already backed up my data. Now I need to make sure I know what I'm
>> doing before I begin. Does anyone have a how-to to help me through this?
>> What
>> about the device drivers? How do I reinstall them?
>> I would appriciate any help anyone can give me!

Thanks for the help! Per the instructions on the link you provided, I would
like to create a Slipstreamed XP CT with XPSP2. I'm a bit baffled on this
one. My computer already has SP2 installed, but I can't seem to find the
executable file on my computer. I tried going to Microsoft to download it
again so that I can copy onto the Slipstreamed CD, but the only option is to
go through Microsoft Update which doesn't give me the option of downloading
it since my computer already has it. AAHH!

Any suggestions? Do you know where I might find the copy of SP2 that I
already downloaded and installed oh so long ago?

Thanks again for your help.

"RoadRunner" wrote:

> Sorry for the first link , it seem its no longer available but , try this
> link instead
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

> "RoadRunner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi .. If you have a windows xp disc ? What you need to do is enter your
> > bios
> > screen and make sure you can boot off your CD Rom drive , Meaning your
> > boot
> > order must be set up to boot off the CD Rom first , Afterward once that is
> > done just save that setting ..... At that point just do the following
> >
> > 1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart your
> > computer.
> > 2. At the Windows XP Setup menu, press Enter to continue setup.
> > 3. Press F8 to agree the License Agreement. Then press Esc to continue a
> > fresh copy without repairing.
> > 4. Press D to delete the selected partition, then press Enter.
> > 5. Press L to confirm. After you delete the partition, press Enter to
> > install Windows XP. You can use the UP and DOWN arrows keys to select and
> > format the partition as NTFS or FAT32. Press Enter again to format the
> > partiton.
> > 6. Remove any floppies or CD-ROM before your computer restarts. Then
> > follow
> > the setup instructions to finish the installation process.
> >
> > Also you might want to check out these websites in how its done as well
> >
> > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcas...xp_sg_clean.asp
> >
> > http://michaelstevenstech.com/

> > "SandBerns" <SandBerns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> It seems I need to re-install XP Pro. The number pad on the keyboard
> >> stopped
> >> working and while troubleshooting with a Dell tech last night he
> >> determined
> >> that my operating system is corupt. He said that I need to reinstall
> >> windows.
> >> I'm not happy about this. :-(
> >> I've already backed up my data. Now I need to make sure I know what I'm
> >> doing before I begin. Does anyone have a how-to to help me through this?
> >> What
> >> about the device drivers? How do I reinstall them?
> >> I would appriciate any help anyone can give me!

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You can download sp2 file here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

That same technical person at Dell that helped to analyze your problem
should have also been able to help with the install of XP. The issue I have
found with Dell PCs is having to install the drivers after XP has been
installed. This is usually a different disk than the XP install disk.

An easy way to slipstream XP is to use a free program called Nlite. Here I
normally have Nlite integrate sp2 and create an iso file on the HD for
burning the slipstream disk.

Good luck