Registry Fix

It appears that my registry is messed up and I am unable to install a network
device. How do I fix this problem?
Thanks for your help.
29 answers Last reply
More about registry

    If the registry is messed up,follow the guidlines as stated in article #307545
    from kb at microsoft.com Even though the outline states "Prevents XP from
    Starting" it'll still repair as in youre case...

    "Ty" wrote:

    > It appears that my registry is messed up and I am unable to install a network
    > device. How do I fix this problem?
    > Thanks for your help.

    huh?

    > Are you and pcbutts1 brothers?

    LOL

    --
    William

    Ty wrote:
    > It appears that my registry is messed up and I am unable to install a
    > network device. How do I fix this problem?
    > Thanks for your help.

    Are you getting some type of error message?

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    This is the sequence of events:
    Found new hardware
    Cannot install this hardware. There is a problem installing this hardware.
    An error occurred during the installation of the device.

    I just uninstalled SP2 in an effort to fix this problem. I also get this
    error now
    Spooler Subsystem App encountered a problem and needed to close.

    "MAP" wrote:

    > Ty wrote:
    > > It appears that my registry is messed up and I am unable to install a
    > > network device. How do I fix this problem?
    > > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Are you getting some type of error message?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Pawlak

    Ty, download this free registry editor. Use it to search for the adapter
    and delete what it finds. Be specific when you
    search so that it finds only that adapter and verify each key before you
    delete anything. Anything with " ENUM" in the name you should be able to
    safely delete. Start with that. Reboot when you are done and it will be
    redetected, see if it will install. Before you start back up your registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 as this program does not make
    automatic back ups. http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/reglite.exe .Search
    for the name that shows up in the device manager for the adapter.

    "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It appears that my registry is messed up and I am unable to install a
    > network
    > device. How do I fix this problem?
    > Thanks for your help.

    I get access denied when i try to delete the adapter

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Ty, download this free registry editor. Use it to search for the adapter
    > and delete what it finds. Be specific when you
    > search so that it finds only that adapter and verify each key before you
    > delete anything. Anything with " ENUM" in the name you should be able to
    > safely delete. Start with that. Reboot when you are done and it will be
    > redetected, see if it will install. Before you start back up your registry
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 as this program does not make
    > automatic back ups. http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/reglite.exe .Search
    > for the name that shows up in the device manager for the adapter.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It appears that my registry is messed up and I am unable to install a
    > > network
    > > device. How do I fix this problem?
    > > Thanks for your help.

    Ignore him Ty he is trying to confuse you.

    > huh?
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Are you and pcbutts1 brothers?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:F9A2457D-A6E9-4C3B-82D5-0BCB5D4CE1EF@microsoft.com,
    >> Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> > If the registry is messed up,follow the guidlines as stated in article
    >> > #307545 from kb at microsoft.com Even though the outline states

    If you need step by step in using that program just let me know and I will
    type it up for you.

    "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It appears that my registry is messed up and I am unable to install a
    > network
    > device. How do I fix this problem?
    > Thanks for your help.

    I installed it and found the name but got "access denied" when I tried to
    delete. I am logged in as administrator.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > If you need step by step in using that program just let me know and I will
    > type it up for you.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It appears that my registry is messed up and I am unable to install a
    > > network
    > > device. How do I fix this problem?
    > > Thanks for your help.

    On the left hand side of the window select the first Hkey folder.Then on the
    registar lite menu at the top click on security>change permission> add your
    login username to the list there by clicking on add. Do the same for the
    rest of the Hkey folders on the left. Once done reboot then try to delete
    again. Make sure the card is disabled or uninstalled before you begin.

    >I installed it and found the name but got "access denied" when I tried to
    > delete. I am logged in as administrator.
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> If you need step by step in using that program just let me know and I
    >> will
    >> type it up for you.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > It appears that my registry is messed up and I am unable to install a
    >> > network
    >> > device. How do I fix this problem?
    >> > Thanks for your help.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks PC.
    Should it come down to it, is there a way to uninstall XP and reinstall it
    without losing my data? Better yet, can I just reinstall XP or do I have to
    clean out the hard drive and start over in order to get the network card to
    be configured?
    It's getting close to 2 weeks that I've been working on this, and I'm still
    sane. lol

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > On the left hand side of the window select the first Hkey folder.Then on the
    > registar lite menu at the top click on security>change permission> add your
    > login username to the list there by clicking on add. Do the same for the
    > rest of the Hkey folders on the left. Once done reboot then try to delete
    > again. Make sure the card is disabled or uninstalled before you begin.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I installed it and found the name but got "access denied" when I tried to
    > > delete. I am logged in as administrator.
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> If you need step by step in using that program just let me know and I
    > >> will
    > >> type it up for you.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    If you do a repair install of XP you will not lose your data. Instructions
    here http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm But that really
    depends on your system. You need a Windows XP cd a manufactures restore cd
    will not work unless they can tell you how to do it.

    > Thanks PC.
    > Should it come down to it, is there a way to uninstall XP and reinstall it
    > without losing my data? Better yet, can I just reinstall XP or do I have
    > clean out the hard drive and start over in order to get the network card
    > be configured?
    > It's getting close to 2 weeks that I've been working on this, and I'm
    > still
    > sane. lol
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> On the left hand side of the window select the first Hkey folder.Then on
    >> the
    >> registar lite menu at the top click on security>change permission> add
    >> your
    >> login username to the list there by clicking on add. Do the same for the
    >> rest of the Hkey folders on the left. Once done reboot then try to delete
    >> again. Make sure the card is disabled or uninstalled before you begin.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I installed it and found the name but got "access denied" when I tried
    >> > delete. I am logged in as administrator.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Am I deleting anything with the aapter name in it or just the enum entries?

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > If you do a repair install of XP you will not lose your data. Instructions
    > here http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm But that really
    > depends on your system. You need a Windows XP cd a manufactures restore cd
    > will not work unless they can tell you how to do it.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks PC.
    > > Should it come down to it, is there a way to uninstall XP and reinstall it
    > > without losing my data? Better yet, can I just reinstall XP or do I have
    > > clean out the hard drive and start over in order to get the network card
    > > be configured?
    > > It's getting close to 2 weeks that I've been working on this, and I'm
    > > still
    > > sane. lol
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> On the left hand side of the window select the first Hkey folder.Then on
    > >> the
    > >> registar lite menu at the top click on security>change permission> add
    > >> your
    > >> login username to the list there by clicking on add. Do the same for the
    > >> rest of the Hkey folders on the left. Once done reboot then try to delete
    > >> again. Make sure the card is disabled or uninstalled before you begin.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I deleted all found entries, rebooted, re-enablrd the network card. The
    system detected the device but had the same problem installing. I'm just
    going to go ahead and do the re-installaltion of XP.
    Thanks again.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > If you do a repair install of XP you will not lose your data. Instructions
    > here http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm But that really
    > depends on your system. You need a Windows XP cd a manufactures restore cd
    > will not work unless they can tell you how to do it.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks PC.
    > > Should it come down to it, is there a way to uninstall XP and reinstall it
    > > without losing my data? Better yet, can I just reinstall XP or do I have
    > > clean out the hard drive and start over in order to get the network card
    > > be configured?
    > > It's getting close to 2 weeks that I've been working on this, and I'm
    > > still
    > > sane. lol
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> On the left hand side of the window select the first Hkey folder.Then on
    > >> the
    > >> registar lite menu at the top click on security>change permission> add
    > >> your
    > >> login username to the list there by clicking on add. Do the same for the
    > >> rest of the Hkey folders on the left. Once done reboot then try to delete
    > >> again. Make sure the card is disabled or uninstalled before you begin.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Do just the ones with enum in the name first. If that does not work then we
    will do the others.

    > Am I deleting anything with the aapter name in it or just the enum
    > entries?
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> If you do a repair install of XP you will not lose your data.
    >> Instructions
    >> here http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm But that
    >> really
    >> depends on your system. You need a Windows XP cd a manufactures restore
    >> cd
    >> will not work unless they can tell you how to do it.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks PC.
    >> > Should it come down to it, is there a way to uninstall XP and reinstall
    >> > it
    >> > without losing my data? Better yet, can I just reinstall XP or do I
    >> > have
    >> > clean out the hard drive and start over in order to get the network
    >> > card
    >> > be configured?
    >> > It's getting close to 2 weeks that I've been working on this, and I'm
    >> > still
    >> > sane. lol

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    PC, what is mdmxsdk ? This item is under Non-lug and play drivers with a
    yellow ! next to its name. When I look at its properties it says "unknown"
    for manufacturer and location.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Do just the ones with enum in the name first. If that does not work then we
    > will do the others.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Am I deleting anything with the aapter name in it or just the enum
    > > entries?
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> If you do a repair install of XP you will not lose your data.
    > >> Instructions
    > >> here http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm But that
    > >> really
    > >> depends on your system. You need a Windows XP cd a manufactures restore
    > >> cd
    > >> will not work unless they can tell you how to do it.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Could be your modem. I think you should back up your files and do a clean
    install.

    > PC, what is mdmxsdk ? This item is under Non-lug and play drivers with a
    > yellow ! next to its name. When I look at its properties it says "unknown"
    > for manufacturer and location.
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> Do just the ones with enum in the name first. If that does not work then
    >> we
    >> will do the others.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Am I deleting anything with the aapter name in it or just the enum
    >> > entries?

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Here's an update.
    I stripped off XP and I'm back to Win98. The network card installed, and
    services, clients and protocols all installed and are running. So at least
    we know it's not the hardware. Does this mean that I had a software
    installation problem or that my hardware is not compatible with XP? I will
    install XP again and see what goes. Any suggestions?

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Could be your modem. I think you should back up your files and do a clean
    > install.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > PC, what is mdmxsdk ? This item is under Non-lug and play drivers with a
    > > yellow ! next to its name. When I look at its properties it says "unknown"
    > > for manufacturer and location.
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Do just the ones with enum in the name first. If that does not work then
    > >> we
    > >> will do the others.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ty wrote:
    > Here's an update.
    > I stripped off XP and I'm back to Win98. The network card installed, and
    > services, clients and protocols all installed and are running. So at least
    > we know it's not the hardware.

    Not necessarily. A computer component's working with Win9x/Me is
    absolutely _no_ indication that it will work with WinXP. Computer
    components designed for use with Win9x/Me very often fail to meet
    WinXP's much more stringent hardware quality requirements.

    > Does this mean that I had a software
    > installation problem ......

    Possibly.

    > or that my hardware is not compatible with XP?

    Very possible, particularly if the computer was originally designed for
    Win98.

    > I will
    > install XP again and see what goes. Any suggestions?

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks, i wil proceed as advised.

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Ty wrote:
    > > Here's an update.
    > > I stripped off XP and I'm back to Win98. The network card installed, and
    > > services, clients and protocols all installed and are running. So at least
    > > we know it's not the hardware.
    >

    > Not necessarily. A computer component's working with Win9x/Me is
    > absolutely _no_ indication that it will work with WinXP. Computer
    > components designed for use with Win9x/Me very often fail to meet
    > WinXP's much more stringent hardware quality requirements.
    >

    > > Does this mean that I had a software
    > > installation problem ......
    >

    > Possibly.
    >

    > > or that my hardware is not compatible with XP?
    >

    > Very possible, particularly if the computer was originally designed for
    > Win98.
    >

    > > I will
    > > install XP again and see what goes. Any suggestions?
    > >

    > Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    > of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    > manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    > (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    > Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    > hardware components or applications.
    >
    > You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    > there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    > components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    > Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    > with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    > hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    > models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    > consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    > before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    > hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    > still support Win9x.
    >
    > HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639
    >
    > Upgrading to Windows XP
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    >
    > HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    > Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Also do a complete and thorough virus scan with updated definition files.

    > Thanks, i wil proceed as advised.
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
    >
    >> Ty wrote:
    >> > Here's an update.
    >> > I stripped off XP and I'm back to Win98. The network card installed,
    >> > and
    >> > services, clients and protocols all installed and are running. So at
    >> > least
    >> > we know it's not the hardware.
    >>

    >> Not necessarily. A computer component's working with Win9x/Me is
    >> absolutely _no_ indication that it will work with WinXP. Computer
    >> components designed for use with Win9x/Me very often fail to meet
    >> WinXP's much more stringent hardware quality requirements.
    >>

    >> > Does this mean that I had a software
    >> > installation problem ......
    >>

    >> Possibly.
    >>

    >> > or that my hardware is not compatible with XP?
    >>

    >> Very possible, particularly if the computer was originally designed for
    >> Win98.
    >>

    >> > I will
    >> > install XP again and see what goes. Any suggestions?
    >> >

    >> Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    >> of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    >> manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    >> (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    >> Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    >> hardware components or applications.
    >>
    >> You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    >> there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    >> components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    >> Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    >> with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    >> hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    >> models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    >> consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    >> before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    >> hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    >> still support Win9x.
    >>
    >> HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639
    >>
    >> Upgrading to Windows XP
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    >>
    >> HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    >> Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    >> both at once. - RAH

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    i followed the instructions but setup cannot copy any files. what's wrong?

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Also do a complete and thorough virus scan with updated definition files.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, i wil proceed as advised.

    > >> Not necessarily. A computer component's working with Win9x/Me is
    > >> absolutely _no_ indication that it will work with WinXP. Computer
    > >> components designed for use with Win9x/Me very often fail to meet
    > >> WinXP's much more stringent hardware quality requirements.

    > >> Possibly.

    > >> Very possible, particularly if the computer was originally designed for
    > >> Win98.

    > >> Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    > >> of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    > >> manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    > >> (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    > >> Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    > >> hardware components or applications.
    > >>
    > >> You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    > >> there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    > >> components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    > >> Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    > >> with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    > >> hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    > >> models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    > >> consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    > >> before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    > >> hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    > >> still support Win9x.
    > >>
    > >> HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639
    > >>
    > >> Upgrading to Windows XP
    > >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    > >>
    > >> HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    > >> Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Bruce Chambers
    > >>
    > >> Help us help you:
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > >>
    > >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    > >> both at once. - RAH

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    ok, it's going now. sorry

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Also do a complete and thorough virus scan with updated definition files.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, i wil proceed as advised.

    > >> Not necessarily. A computer component's working with Win9x/Me is
    > >> absolutely _no_ indication that it will work with WinXP. Computer
    > >> components designed for use with Win9x/Me very often fail to meet
    > >> WinXP's much more stringent hardware quality requirements.

    > >> Possibly.

    > >> Very possible, particularly if the computer was originally designed for
    > >> Win98.

    > >> Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    > >> of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    > >> manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    > >> (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    > >> Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    > >> hardware components or applications.
    > >>
    > >> You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    > >> there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    > >> components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    > >> Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    > >> with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    > >> hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    > >> models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    > >> consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    > >> before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    > >> hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    > >> still support Win9x.
    > >>
    > >> HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639
    > >>
    > >> Upgrading to Windows XP
    > >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    > >>
    > >> HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    > >> Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Bruce Chambers
    > >>
    > >> Help us help you:
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > >>
    > >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    > >> both at once. - RAH

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Just wanted to let you know that I now have the system up and working with
    installed services, client, protocol. Thank you very much for the help
    you've provided throughout this long process. All that's left now is
    printing from the laptop to the printer connected to the desktop, but I will
    work that out.

    btw, what happens if I don't register XP with Microsoft?

    Peace

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Also do a complete and thorough virus scan with updated definition files.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, i wil proceed as advised.

    > >> Not necessarily. A computer component's working with Win9x/Me is
    > >> absolutely _no_ indication that it will work with WinXP. Computer
    > >> components designed for use with Win9x/Me very often fail to meet
    > >> WinXP's much more stringent hardware quality requirements.

    > >> Possibly.

    > >> Very possible, particularly if the computer was originally designed for
    > >> Win98.

    > >> Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    > >> of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    > >> manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    > >> (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    > >> Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    > >> hardware components or applications.
    > >>
    > >> You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    > >> there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    > >> components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    > >> Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    > >> with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    > >> hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    > >> models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    > >> consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    > >> before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    > >> hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    > >> still support Win9x.
    > >>
    > >> HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639
    > >>
    > >> Upgrading to Windows XP
    > >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    > >>
    > >> HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    > >> Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Bruce Chambers
    > >>
    > >> Help us help you:
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > >>
    > >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    > >> both at once. - RAH

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Register or Activate? If you don't register nothing will happen. If you
    don't activate windows it will disable itself until you do.

    > Just wanted to let you know that I now have the system up and working with
    > installed services, client, protocol. Thank you very much for the help
    > you've provided throughout this long process. All that's left now is
    > printing from the laptop to the printer connected to the desktop, but I
    > will
    > work that out.
    >
    > btw, what happens if I don't register XP with Microsoft?
    >
    > Peace
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> Also do a complete and thorough virus scan with updated definition files.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks, i wil proceed as advised.

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks. It keeps telling me that I have 30 days to do something. I'll
    activate it, just concerned about giving MS too much information.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Register or Activate? If you don't register nothing will happen. If you
    > don't activate windows it will disable itself until you do.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Just wanted to let you know that I now have the system up and working with
    > > installed services, client, protocol. Thank you very much for the help
    > > you've provided throughout this long process. All that's left now is
    > > printing from the laptop to the printer connected to the desktop, but I
    > > will
    > > work that out.
    > >
    > > btw, what happens if I don't register XP with Microsoft?
    > >
    > > Peace
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Also do a complete and thorough virus scan with updated definition files.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    If I used the wrong CD to do the XP installation, is there a way to change
    the product key so that MS gets the correct product ID when I activate? e.g.
    If I used the OEM CD that came with the laptop to install XP on the desktop,
    rather than the retail CD.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Register or Activate? If you don't register nothing will happen. If you
    > don't activate windows it will disable itself until you do.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Just wanted to let you know that I now have the system up and working with
    > > installed services, client, protocol. Thank you very much for the help
    > > you've provided throughout this long process. All that's left now is
    > > printing from the laptop to the printer connected to the desktop, but I
    > > will
    > > work that out.
    > >
    > > btw, what happens if I don't register XP with Microsoft?
    > >
    > > Peace
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Also do a complete and thorough virus scan with updated definition files.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You have to do a repair install using the correct cd

    or this one with screen shots
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/

    > If I used the wrong CD to do the XP installation, is there a way to change
    > the product key so that MS gets the correct product ID when I activate?
    > e.g.
    > If I used the OEM CD that came with the laptop to install XP on the
    > desktop,
    > rather than the retail CD.
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> Register or Activate? If you don't register nothing will happen. If you
    >> don't activate windows it will disable itself until you do.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Just wanted to let you know that I now have the system up and working
    >> > with
    >> > installed services, client, protocol. Thank you very much for the help
    >> > you've provided throughout this long process. All that's left now is
    >> > printing from the laptop to the printer connected to the desktop, but I
    >> > will
    >> > work that out.
    >> >
    >> > btw, what happens if I don't register XP with Microsoft?
    >> >
    >> > Peace

Support Registry Microsoft Windows XP