Help choosing between Y580 and Sager 6350

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubuchnik

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hi,

So I'm an engineering student and sometimes like to play games. My budget is around $1300.

An i7 with a 660m would be something I'd like (maybe even a 650m?). I hear the CUDA cores will come in handy for CFD applications so a decent graphic card seems like a good option. I don't mind equivalent Radeons.

Screen wise I'd really like a 1080p full HD screen, 14-15 inch.

My main issue is weight. I don't want something that weighs more than 6lbs and need atleast 3.5-4 hours of battery life while word editing cause I will be carrying it around. Obviously I'll plug it in while gaming/number crunching.

So after days of searching I decided upon the Y580 and ordered it from Lenovo. Two weeks later they just randomly cancelled my order cause a part wasn't in stock and now they want me to pay extra $200 to get the same model but with a larger SSD. I'm done with that.

I see I can buy the y580 from amazon, but the customer service has left a bad taste in my mouth and I don't know if the Y580 is that good that I should buy it. I have heard that there are issues with cooling and the laptop under clocking itself.

I had a look at the Sager NP6350 and it's great. While the 9150 is amazing it's going to be too heavy. Since you guys know it all and probably know about the build qualities and deals, what would you guys suggest?

Any better laptops out there?

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
The main problem with the SLI 650m y500 is the fact that optimus is not enabled and you will not get more than 4 hours casual use out of it. Dual 650m perform about as well as a gtx 670mx, approching 657mx when SLI scales very well.

I have the y580 and I think its a pretty good computer. I have not had any problems with downclocks on the cpu/gpu. Generally after a couple hours of gaming (crysis) the cpu maxes at about 78-80 degress and the gpu at 75 (I do overclock the thing from 950 mhz to 1085 mhz and havn't had any problems). Battery is pretty good, can get about 4 hours light internet out of it or about 6-7 hours solid note taking (no speakers or wifi). The main problem with the y580 is that the hdd can get hot (about 50 degrees). However compared to my old dell laptop which ran at 95-100 degrees on the cpu and never had problems temperatures on the 580 are reasonable.

A review on the sli y500

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y500-Notebook.87585.0.html

Status
Not open for further replies.