pat

Expert

Take a look at this window: http://home.comcast.net/~luigiman89/merge.jpg

Should file names in the merge registry entries dialog box look like this?
The real path to this file is C:\Other Files\Registry Backups\. I've been
using the Command Prompt (cmd.exe) recently; could that have anything to do
with this? I just can't remember if file names always looked like that.

pat

Expert

Why does the Registry Editor Merge Dialog box use that format, and why
doesn't that format appear everywhere else?

Also, I added a Command Prompt option to folder context menus using these
registry entries:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\OpenNew]
@="Command Prompt"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\OpenNew\Command]
@="cmd.exe /k cd %1"

When I clicked that option, the command prompt displayed file names using
8.3 format, while when I go to Start>Run>cmd, they use normal names. Is this
normal?

Set it to:

cmd.exe /k "cd %L"

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why does the Registry Editor Merge Dialog box use that format, and why
> doesn't that format appear everywhere else?
>
> Also, I added a Command Prompt option to folder context menus using these
> registry entries:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\OpenNew]
> @="Command Prompt"
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\OpenNew\Command]
> @="cmd.exe /k cd %1"
>
> When I clicked that option, the command prompt displayed file names using
> 8.3 format, while when I go to Start>Run>cmd, they use normal names. Is
> this
> normal?

As Ramesh posted, %1 passes short names and %l or %L passes long file names.

Command prompt here with long filename (WXP-Pro)
http://www.winguides.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=brdNewTweaks&Number=106618&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&part

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes