Logon welcome screen problem

August 16, 2005 12:29:08 AM

Hello,

I've just loaded XP Professional and I'm having a problem with the logon
welcome screen. When I turn on the computer it automatically logs onto the
administrator without asking for a password, instead of the welcome screen
coming up and allowing me to pick a different user.

How do I stop it from going right into the administrator and instead popping
up the welcome logon screen?

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : logon screen problem

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:39:32 AM

"Sunddundee" <Sunddundee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've just loaded XP Professional and I'm having a problem with the logon
> welcome screen. When I turn on the computer it automatically logs onto
> the
> administrator without asking for a password, instead of the welcome screen
> coming up and allowing me to pick a different user.
>
> How do I stop it from going right into the administrator and instead
> popping
> up the welcome logon screen?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Have you created an user account for yourself?

If so, type "control passwords2" in the run dialog box and check "Users must
enter a user name and password to use this computer". This should give you
the welcome screen.

If you have not created an user account then create a new user and your
welcome screen should appear. To create an user account, go to the Control
Panel and select User Accounts.

--
William
Anonymous

Yes, I have created 3 users and another admin. So I have 2 admin's when I
only want 1, and the pc automatically logs into the main Admin that I don't
want. If I choose logoff then the welcome screen with my users and second
admin shows up but only then?????????

Sunddundee

"WTC" wrote:

> "Sunddundee" <Sunddundee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just loaded XP Professional and I'm having a problem with the logon
> > welcome screen. When I turn on the computer it automatically logs onto
> > the
> > administrator without asking for a password, instead of the welcome screen
> > coming up and allowing me to pick a different user.
> >
> > How do I stop it from going right into the administrator and instead
> > popping
> > up the welcome logon screen?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Have you created an user account for yourself?
>
> If so, type "control passwords2" in the run dialog box and check "Users must
> enter a user name and password to use this computer". This should give you
> the welcome screen.
>
> If you have not created an user account then create a new user and your
> welcome screen should appear. To create an user account, go to the Control
> Panel and select User Accounts.
>
> --
> William

August 16, 2005 1:42:46 PM

> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "Sunddundee" <Sunddundee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I've just loaded XP Professional and I'm having a problem with the
>> > logon
>> > welcome screen. When I turn on the computer it automatically logs onto
>> > the
>> > administrator without asking for a password, instead of the welcome
>> > screen
>> > coming up and allowing me to pick a different user.
>> >
>> > How do I stop it from going right into the administrator and instead
>> > popping
>> > up the welcome logon screen?
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated.
>>

>> Have you created an user account for yourself?
>>
>> If so, type "control passwords2" in the run dialog box and check "Users
>> must
>> enter a user name and password to use this computer". This should give
>> you
>> the welcome screen.
>>
>> If you have not created an user account then create a new user and your
>> welcome screen should appear. To create an user account, go to the
>> Control
>> Panel and select User Accounts.
>>
> Yes, I have created 3 users and another admin. So I have 2 admin's when
> only want 1, and the pc automatically logs into the main Admin that I
> don't
> want. If I choose logoff then the welcome screen with my users and second
> admin shows up but only then?????????

Try this,

Type "control passwords2" (without the quotes) in the run dialog box and
*check* "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer".
This should give you the welcome screen.

--
William
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:10:42 PM

Did you use Autologon in TweakUI? If so use TweakUI to reverse it.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User