GeForce 256 garbled display

G

In need of big time help!

Am running Win98SE on a Dell PIII 800, 256 SDRAM with a 32MB GeForce 256. Each time I boot up the machine the display is totally garbled and hence the machine is unusable. I have tried setting the accelaration performance tab in display properties to none and this gets me a readable desktop but the icons still don't display correctly. Have downloaded latest Detonator References drivers but no change. Dell have replaced both the motherboard and card several times but this does not help. The machine has worked properly in the past and nothing changed config wise prior to the error starting.

I think it maybe a problem with the AGP management somewhere, but am somewhat in the dark.

Help!

warbelsnap

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
Dont feel alone, Im having the same type trouble with this new GF 200/MX. Barely readable after boot up. If I get any answers on my problem Ill pass them on to you. Good luck.

Give me back my old 8 meg Diamond Viper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warb-the-Snapped

G

Its good to know I'm not alone! I think the problem maybe to do with heat. The card is in a tower case and so the chip and fan face downwards.. can't believe this is a very good arrangement. Also, the network card had been placed in an adjacent slot. With the network card moved the computer became usuable for about 5 - 10minutes until the problem quickly and progressively came back. DOH!

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
that is weird, like any problam try tacaling it with version uncompetabilities, update every thing, bios mini-port driver, another OS, dif card(just for the test) and so on, if you say they replaced the mobo and the card and it still didnt help it might be just that.

one last thing came to mind id the screen, see if you can find drvivers for it or install it as a "Plug and play monitor".

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>