Locks up /w AGP Texture Accel enabled

Uranium

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
I can only play (anything opengl/d3d) and not lock under theses conditions

AGP Texture Acceleration is not enabled & have det 11.01 loaded(excellent fps if was enabled)

I don't have the drivers from the ppl who made my card loaded (good fps while the drivers were loaded-till lock) - I use 11.01 to take my fps down enough to not luck up

both the det 12.40 & 12.60 lock me up if agp texture accele is enabled or not

I was able to take hardware acceleration down 1 notch and allow me to play a little longer but that was it. (this was with 12.60 loaded & agp accell off)

specs: P3-667@700 (dosen't really make much diff, but locks if oc'd or not)

Kingson 256M PC133@140

Aural vortex sound card

Leadtek GeForce 2 Pro 32M

Tekram P6Pro A+ (Via Apollo Pro 133 chipset)

2X AGP mode :(

I'm thinking it could be a problem with hardware acceleration on my mobo, the board is pretty old

thx 4 any help

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Are you running the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers and latest BIOS version for your motherboard?

If you are running Windows 9X/ME make sure your video card isn't sharing an IRQ with anything except PCI steering.

I seem to recall a problem (not sure what the issue is) between Aureal Vortex sound cards and Via chipsets. There was a driver update. I'll try to find a link. In the meantime you might want to remove the sound card just determine if it resolves your video problem. If it does the next thing to try is to re-install the sound card in different PCI slots. Via has a strange way of handling PCI and some cards work better in a different slot. Usually, the problem is one of sharing IRQs but even if IRQ sharing does not seem to be a problem some cards work better, especially sound cards and NICs, in one slot rather than another.

<b>Update:</b> Here is the Vortex link.

<A HREF="http://www.vortexofsound.com/drivers/drivers.htm" target="_new">http://www.vortexofsound.com/drivers/drivers.htm</A>

If you read the FAQ's you will see that the latest driver updates supposedly fix game crashing problems which were caused by DirectSound issues.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 10/13/01 11:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Uranium

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
yes I have the latest 4-in 1 drivers for my my mobo loaded. I don't think my geforce is shaing any other irq's then steering. I'll take my sound card totally out & see what happens

Uranium

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
ok. it is the card. I disabled it out & 3dmark ran beautifully (5000+). Then I enabled it & it locked in the exact place it did b4. I'll try the drivers & see if it works. Thx!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If it turns out to be an unresolvable problem I hear the Philips Acoustic Edge is a good sound card and works well with Via chipsets. The card has a baby brother, the Rythmic Edge, about $25 streetprice. (I'd avoid the Seismic Edge).

Also heard good things about the Hercules Game Theater (or something like that) and I have always liked Turtle Beach cards. I think the Santa Cruz is the budget-minded card today.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

Uranium

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
yeah, it is unresovable. 3dmark 2000 worked great with the new drivers. But Tribes2 Locked & Red Faction locked (although it took more time then b4). I disabled the card & rf worked fine, as did T2 (cept for locking one time, but I'm not suprised with the new T2 patch). I went 2 Frys and saw a good Creative Sound blaster Live 5.1 (not platnum) for $69. That good Enough?

The main reason I got the sound card I got was cause of the 2 watt audio output I have directly to these other stereo(from an actual stereo) speakers. & the audio out to this 3-piece speaker system /w subwoofer, the speakers on the 2W out proviode much of the voice range & the other 3 are good for the music range. But oh well, no good if it locks up neways. If buying a new card dosent' work I'll just get a new motherboard. Unfortuinetly I saw Zero P3 mobo's at frys :(