My computer wont start, maybe processor...

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I recently just built a computer with AMD 64 3200. My computer was on for
about a day and i left it on over night with a couple programs running and
also downloading some stuff. Then when i wake up its off. when i try to turn
it back on it doesnt start at all. No Lights, fans , noises , nothing
started. the only thing that i saw working was the ethernet plug was lit up
but thats it. Im wondering if its the power supply, mother board, or
processor which i think it is. also is there a way to check if the processor
is burnt out. thank you all help is apreciated.

> I recently just built a computer with AMD 64 3200. My computer was on for
> about a day and i left it on over night with a couple programs running and
> also downloading some stuff. Then when i wake up its off. when i try to
> turn
> it back on it doesnt start at all. No Lights, fans , noises , nothing
> started. the only thing that i saw working was the ethernet plug was lit
> up
> but thats it. Im wondering if its the power supply, mother board, or
> processor which i think it is. also is there a way to check if the
> processor
> is burnt out. thank you all help is apreciated.

Try another known good processor. From what you have described the most
likely culprit is the power supply. Why do you think it is the CPU?

Kerry

> I recently just built a computer with AMD 64 3200. My computer was on for
> about a day and i left it on over night with a couple programs running and
> also downloading some stuff. Then when i wake up its off. when i try to
> turn
> it back on it doesnt start at all. No Lights, fans , noises , nothing
> started. the only thing that i saw working was the ethernet plug was lit
> up
> but thats it. Im wondering if its the power supply, mother board, or
> processor which i think it is. also is there a way to check if the
> processor
> is burnt out. thank you all help is apreciated.

Sounds like the power supply. The processor would not prevent fans from
running. The start switch does go throught the motherboard so that's number
2 on the list. Many times the power supply fan itself stops which causes
the power supply to fry. You don't have your computer pushed up against a
wall do you?