Unzipping files

When I download a zipped file, I tell it to extract all, and to put it on my
desktop. It says that it needs to know what program to use to open it. I
said 'Notepad', and it ended up a bunch of gibberish. I said 'Paint', and it
said that Paint could not open it. I used to have WinZip, but I never
learned much about it, either. Can anyone help?............... I have XP,
AMD 64.
--
Jack
2 answers Last reply

    Either get winzip or winrar again. Right Click on the zip/rar file and
    select extract file(s) and then on the popup, browse to the folder where you
    want the extraction to go. I recommend a folder because in many cases,there
    will be more than one file from the extraction and this keeps everything
    together.
    Good Luck
    "EverJack" <EJ@chats.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I download a zipped file, I tell it to extract all, and to put it on
    > my
    > desktop. It says that it needs to know what program to use to open it. I
    > said 'Notepad', and it ended up a bunch of gibberish. I said 'Paint', and
    > it
    > said that Paint could not open it. I used to have WinZip, but I never
    > learned much about it, either. Can anyone help?............... I have
    > XP,
    > AMD 64.
    > --
    > Jack

    Windows® XP File Association Fixes
    Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox

    The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
    file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk
    and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be
    viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings for
    the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG
    file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!

    ZIP Folder Association Fix (Restores default associations for ZIP Folders -
    REG File)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3741B116-16AB-4F25-9799-59ABD602127D@microsoft.com,
    EverJack <EJ@chats.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > When I download a zipped file, I tell it to extract all, and to put it on
    > my desktop. It says that it needs to know what program to use to open
    > it. I said 'Notepad', and it ended up a bunch of gibberish. I said
    > 'Paint', and it said that Paint could not open it. I used to have
    > WinZip, but I never learned much about it, either. Can anyone
    > help?............... I have XP, AMD 64.
    > --
    > Jack

Windows XP