mpeg thumbnails not showing anymore

My mpegs no longer display thumbnails not play in Media player.
However DO play using InterVideo's winDVD player (but still no
thumbnails).

I'm stunned how common this problem is when searching Google groups,
yet none of the suggestions seem to work.

I'm in the same boat. I THINK it has something to do with Uleads Movie
Factory installation but not sure.

Any help is appreciated.
15 answers Last reply
More about mpeg thumbnails showing anymore

    Thumbnail image not generated for Video files in Windows XP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/videothumb.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1124183464.233766.44360@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    fornewsgroups@shaw.ca <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > My mpegs no longer display thumbnails not play in Media player.
    > However DO play using InterVideo's winDVD player (but still no
    > thumbnails).
    >
    > I'm stunned how common this problem is when searching Google groups,
    > yet none of the suggestions seem to work.
    >
    > I'm in the same boat. I THINK it has something to do with Uleads Movie
    > Factory installation but not sure.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    Hi,
    Thank you. Some of the mpeg thumbnails now appear however the files
    still will not player in media player (but will in InterVideo's winDVD
    player).

    What gives? Very frustrating and annoying.

    >> will not player in media player

    What's the error message?

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Thank you. Some of the mpeg thumbnails now appear however the files
    > still will not player in media player (but will in InterVideo's winDVD
    > player).
    >
    > What gives? Very frustrating and annoying.

    InterVideo's winDVD player has probably stolen the file association(s).

    Open Windows Media Player | Tools | Options |
    File Types tab | * Make sure that Movie file (mpeg) is selected |
    Apply | OK

    * Or Click the Select All button

    [[If you install other multimedia playback programs on your computer, they
    may interfere with your Player file types settings. For more information
    about setting file type ownership in other multimedia playback programs, see
    the documentation that came with those programs. ]]

    [[If you want to make another player the default player for a specific file
    type, clear the check box for it in the File types list. ]]

    [[If a selected check box is dimmed, Windows Media Player has only partial
    ownership of the file type. Multiple file extensions are assigned to the
    file type, but the Player only plays some of those extensions by default. To
    give the Player full ownership of a file type, double-click the dimmed check
    box. ]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1124249244.905999.96950@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,

    Wesley Vogel wrote:
    > InterVideo's winDVD player has probably stolen the file association(s).

    Thanks but I purposely see if it can be played using InterVideo's
    winDVD player, which it does just fine. However in Windwos Media
    Player it just opens up, states "connecting" , "playing" (but doesn't
    actually play anything) then stops. Then a pop up dialogue error box
    appears stating "Windows media player has encountered a problem and
    need to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" with an offer to
    send an error report. When I click to see the contents of the error
    report a the "error signature" states:
    AppName wmplayer.exe
    AppVer: 10.0.0.3802
    ModName ivivideao.ax
    ModVer 4.0.11.288 Offset: 0004ace0

    Hi Ramesh,
    I stated an error report below. IS that helpful?
    Thanks,

    IVIVIDEO.AX seems to be a Codec added by WinDVD. I believe disabling the
    Codec, or uninstalling WinDVD will help resolve the problem. To disable
    Codecs individually, the best utility is Nirsofer's MMCompView
    (www.nirsoft.net)

    --

    > Hi Ramesh,
    > I stated an error report below. IS that helpful?
    > Thanks,

    Hi Ramesh,
    Thank you. But WinDVD came with my computer (as did media player) and
    both use to work just fine with mpeg's. Strange.
    Having said that I will try your suggestion and let you know how it
    goes.
    Thanks again,

    Another question: Could this be a ActiveX Filter issue? I notice
    Ulead has lots of them installed (thanks to your MMCompView suggestion).

    OK Ramesh,
    Good suggestion as MANY of the files now have thumbnails and play in
    Media player. But some still do not.
    For example I have .wmv files that opens (takes a while) says it's
    playing but does not play (sometning similar stil happens with some
    mpegs). No error messages.

    Further suggestions welcome and apprecaited

    I'm sorry Ramesh but I'm not sure what you mean? There are many codecs
    listed when I use that program you suggested.
    If you're speaking of error messages, none mention codec's.

    Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Are there any other Codecs added along with WinDVD causing the problem?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > OK Ramesh,
    > > Good suggestion as MANY of the files now have thumbnails and play in
    > > Media player. But some still do not.
    > > For example I have .wmv files that opens (takes a while) says it's
    > > playing but does not play (sometning similar stil happens with some
    > > mpegs). No error messages.
    > >
    > > Further suggestions welcome and apprecaited

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi,

    Are there any other Codecs added along with WinDVD causing the problem?

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > OK Ramesh,
    > Good suggestion as MANY of the files now have thumbnails and play in
    > Media player. But some still do not.
    > For example I have .wmv files that opens (takes a while) says it's
    > playing but does not play (sometning similar stil happens with some
    > mpegs). No error messages.
    >
    > Further suggestions welcome and apprecaited

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    >> There are many codecs listed when I use that program you suggested.

    Try disabling the other additional Codecs (3rd party ones) to isolate the
    problem. If no luck (with playing WMA / MPEG files in WMP), you may try this
    in WMP groups for more exposure.

    --

    > I'm sorry Ramesh but I'm not sure what you mean? There are many codecs
    > listed when I use that program you suggested.
    > If you're speaking of error messages, none mention codec's.
    >

    > Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Are there any other Codecs added along with WinDVD causing the problem?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> > OK Ramesh,
    >> > Good suggestion as MANY of the files now have thumbnails and play in
    >> > Media player. But some still do not.
    >> > For example I have .wmv files that opens (takes a while) says it's
    >> > playing but does not play (sometning similar stil happens with some
    >> > mpegs). No error messages.
    >> >
    >> > Further suggestions welcome and apprecaited

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Do you mean, disable each one, one by one? There are quite a few but I
    guess I could try this over time.
    Thanks very much for your help.

    Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    > >> There are many codecs listed when I use that program you suggested.
    >
    > Try disabling the other additional Codecs (3rd party ones) to isolate the
    > problem. If no luck (with playing WMA / MPEG files in WMP), you may try this
    > in WMP groups for more exposure.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > I'm sorry Ramesh but I'm not sure what you mean? There are many codecs
    > > listed when I use that program you suggested.
    > > If you're speaking of error messages, none mention codec's.
    > >

    > > Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Are there any other Codecs added along with WinDVD causing the problem?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Yes, you can re-enable them later if you need.

    --

    > Do you mean, disable each one, one by one? There are quite a few but I
    > guess I could try this over time.
    > Thanks very much for your help.

    >> Try disabling the other additional Codecs (3rd party ones) to isolate the
    >> problem. If no luck (with playing WMA / MPEG files in WMP), you may try
    >> this
    >> in WMP groups for more exposure.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP