Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

mpeg thumbnails not showing anymore

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:11:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

My mpegs no longer display thumbnails not play in Media player.
However DO play using InterVideo's winDVD player (but still no
thumbnails).

I'm stunned how common this problem is when searching Google groups,
yet none of the suggestions seem to work.

I'm in the same boat. I THINK it has something to do with Uleads Movie
Factory installation but not sure.

Any help is appreciated.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:00:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thumbnail image not generated for Video files in Windows XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/videothumb.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1124183464.233766.44360@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
fornewsgroups@shaw.ca <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> hunted and pecked:
> My mpegs no longer display thumbnails not play in Media player.
> However DO play using InterVideo's winDVD player (but still no
> thumbnails).
>
> I'm stunned how common this problem is when searching Google groups,
> yet none of the suggestions seem to work.
>
> I'm in the same boat. I THINK it has something to do with Uleads Movie
> Factory installation but not sure.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:27:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,
Thank you. Some of the mpeg thumbnails now appear however the files
still will not player in media player (but will in InterVideo's winDVD
player).

What gives? Very frustrating and annoying.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 2:02:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

>> will not player in media player

What's the error message?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


<fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:1124249244.905999.96950@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
> Thank you. Some of the mpeg thumbnails now appear however the files
> still will not player in media player (but will in InterVideo's winDVD
> player).
>
> What gives? Very frustrating and annoying.
>
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 2:10:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

InterVideo's winDVD player has probably stolen the file association(s).

Open Windows Media Player | Tools | Options |
File Types tab | * Make sure that Movie file (mpeg) is selected |
Apply | OK

* Or Click the Select All button

[[If you install other multimedia playback programs on your computer, they
may interfere with your Player file types settings. For more information
about setting file type ownership in other multimedia playback programs, see
the documentation that came with those programs. ]]

[[If you want to make another player the default player for a specific file
type, clear the check box for it in the File types list. ]]

[[If a selected check box is dimmed, Windows Media Player has only partial
ownership of the file type. Multiple file extensions are assigned to the
file type, but the Player only plays some of those extensions by default. To
give the Player full ownership of a file type, double-click the dimmed check
box. ]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1124249244.905999.96950@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
fornewsgroups@shaw.ca <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
> Thank you. Some of the mpeg thumbnails now appear however the files
> still will not player in media player (but will in InterVideo's winDVD
> player).
>
> What gives? Very frustrating and annoying.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:19:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> InterVideo's winDVD player has probably stolen the file association(s).

Thanks but I purposely see if it can be played using InterVideo's
winDVD player, which it does just fine. However in Windwos Media
Player it just opens up, states "connecting" , "playing" (but doesn't
actually play anything) then stops. Then a pop up dialogue error box
appears stating "Windows media player has encountered a problem and
need to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" with an offer to
send an error report. When I click to see the contents of the error
report a the "error signature" states:
AppName wmplayer.exe
AppVer: 10.0.0.3802
ModName ivivideao.ax
ModVer 4.0.11.288 Offset: 0004ace0
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:23:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Ramesh,
I stated an error report below. IS that helpful?
Thanks,
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 4:32:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

IVIVIDEO.AX seems to be a Codec added by WinDVD. I believe disabling the
Codec, or uninstalling WinDVD will help resolve the problem. To disable
Codecs individually, the best utility is Nirsofer's MMCompView
(www.nirsoft.net)

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


<fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:1124342621.396849.77880@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Ramesh,
> I stated an error report below. IS that helpful?
> Thanks,
>
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:15:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Ramesh,
Thank you. But WinDVD came with my computer (as did media player) and
both use to work just fine with mpeg's. Strange.
Having said that I will try your suggestion and let you know how it
goes.
Thanks again,
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:29:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Another question: Could this be a ActiveX Filter issue? I notice
Ulead has lots of them installed (thanks to your MMCompView suggestion).
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 9:17:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

OK Ramesh,
Good suggestion as MANY of the files now have thumbnails and play in
Media player. But some still do not.
For example I have .wmv files that opens (takes a while) says it's
playing but does not play (sometning similar stil happens with some
mpegs). No error messages.

Further suggestions welcome and apprecaited
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:04:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm sorry Ramesh but I'm not sure what you mean? There are many codecs
listed when I use that program you suggested.
If you're speaking of error messages, none mention codec's.


Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any other Codecs added along with WinDVD causing the problem?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
>
> <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:1124410661.380042.305450@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > OK Ramesh,
> > Good suggestion as MANY of the files now have thumbnails and play in
> > Media player. But some still do not.
> > For example I have .wmv files that opens (takes a while) says it's
> > playing but does not play (sometning similar stil happens with some
> > mpegs). No error messages.
> >
> > Further suggestions welcome and apprecaited
> >
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:52:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

Are there any other Codecs added along with WinDVD causing the problem?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


<fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:1124410661.380042.305450@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> OK Ramesh,
> Good suggestion as MANY of the files now have thumbnails and play in
> Media player. But some still do not.
> For example I have .wmv files that opens (takes a while) says it's
> playing but does not play (sometning similar stil happens with some
> mpegs). No error messages.
>
> Further suggestions welcome and apprecaited
>
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 7:36:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

>> There are many codecs listed when I use that program you suggested.

Try disabling the other additional Codecs (3rd party ones) to isolate the
problem. If no luck (with playing WMA / MPEG files in WMP), you may try this
in WMP groups for more exposure.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


<fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:1124442242.174891.235520@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> I'm sorry Ramesh but I'm not sure what you mean? There are many codecs
> listed when I use that program you suggested.
> If you're speaking of error messages, none mention codec's.
>
>
> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are there any other Codecs added along with WinDVD causing the problem?
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>>
>> <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> news:1124410661.380042.305450@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> > OK Ramesh,
>> > Good suggestion as MANY of the files now have thumbnails and play in
>> > Media player. But some still do not.
>> > For example I have .wmv files that opens (takes a while) says it's
>> > playing but does not play (sometning similar stil happens with some
>> > mpegs). No error messages.
>> >
>> > Further suggestions welcome and apprecaited
>> >
>
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:35:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Do you mean, disable each one, one by one? There are quite a few but I
guess I could try this over time.
Thanks very much for your help.


Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> >> There are many codecs listed when I use that program you suggested.
>
> Try disabling the other additional Codecs (3rd party ones) to isolate the
> problem. If no luck (with playing WMA / MPEG files in WMP), you may try this
> in WMP groups for more exposure.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
>
> <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:1124442242.174891.235520@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > I'm sorry Ramesh but I'm not sure what you mean? There are many codecs
> > listed when I use that program you suggested.
> > If you're speaking of error messages, none mention codec's.
> >
> >
> > Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Are there any other Codecs added along with WinDVD causing the problem?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>
> >>
> >> <fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> >> news:1124410661.380042.305450@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> >> > OK Ramesh,
> >> > Good suggestion as MANY of the files now have thumbnails and play in
> >> > Media player. But some still do not.
> >> > For example I have .wmv files that opens (takes a while) says it's
> >> > playing but does not play (sometning similar stil happens with some
> >> > mpegs). No error messages.
> >> >
> >> > Further suggestions welcome and apprecaited
> >> >
> >
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:18:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Yes, you can re-enable them later if you need.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


<fornewsgroups@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:1124580948.668662.32170@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Do you mean, disable each one, one by one? There are quite a few but I
> guess I could try this over time.
> Thanks very much for your help.
>
>
> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> >> There are many codecs listed when I use that program you suggested.
>>
>> Try disabling the other additional Codecs (3rd party ones) to isolate the
>> problem. If no luck (with playing WMA / MPEG files in WMP), you may try
>> this
>> in WMP groups for more exposure.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>>
>> >
>
!