"The line is busy" error message.

August 16, 2005 6:24:41 PM

Suddenly this morning when trying to use my dial up connection to the
internet I received the above error message.
1. I've unplugged the phone connection and plugged it into my laptop and
logged on fine, so the phone lines are OK.
2. Also created a new connection to a different ISP account and that didn't
work either so pretty sure its not the dial up connection settings.
3. When connecting the modem it makes all the correct sounds and checking in
'Device Manager' the message says the modem is working correctly.
4. Ran the 'modem diagnostics' and that indicated the modem was OK.

Anyone have any further suggestions! Do you think its likely to be a broken
modem? Although it seems to dial OK to me

Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:24:42 PM

The message "the line is busy" usually indicates that the phone number you
dialed was/is busy. Two things to check:

1) With a standard phone, dial the same ISP phone number that you use in the
dial-up connection. Be careful, because when the call completes, the ISP's
modem will be sending the connection "noise" over the line. If this works,
then the phone number was bisy before. If it does not work, then you may
hear a recorded message stating the number is incorrect, not in service, or
changed.

2) The phone wire between the phone jack and modem is:
a) Connected to the wrong modem jack. Needs to be "Line", "Telco" or
wall jack picture.
b) Broken wire. Replace it.

"Geoff" <meaningless34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Suddenly this morning when trying to use my dial up connection to the
> internet I received the above error message.
> 1. I've unplugged the phone connection and plugged it into my laptop and
> logged on fine, so the phone lines are OK.
> 2. Also created a new connection to a different ISP account and that
> didn't work either so pretty sure its not the dial up connection settings.
> 3. When connecting the modem it makes all the correct sounds and checking
> in 'Device Manager' the message says the modem is working correctly.
> 4. Ran the 'modem diagnostics' and that indicated the modem was OK.
>
> Anyone have any further suggestions! Do you think its likely to be a
> broken modem? Although it seems to dial OK to me
>
> Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:26:32 PM

If your modem is trying to dial out then the chance is that the problem is
with your telco. You could phone and tell them but then unless you've got
another line your pretty well stuffed. It could be that they're just having
a bad IT day with the electronics deciding not to play today. If the
problem persists for more than 24 hours you'll have good grounds to
complain.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Geoff" <meaningless34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Suddenly this morning when trying to use my dial up connection to the
> internet I received the above error message.
> 1. I've unplugged the phone connection and plugged it into my laptop and
> logged on fine, so the phone lines are OK.
> 2. Also created a new connection to a different ISP account and that
> didn't work either so pretty sure its not the dial up connection settings.
> 3. When connecting the modem it makes all the correct sounds and checking
> in 'Device Manager' the message says the modem is working correctly.
> 4. Ran the 'modem diagnostics' and that indicated the modem was OK.
>
> Anyone have any further suggestions! Do you think its likely to be a
> broken modem? Although it seems to dial OK to me
>
> Thanks for your help.

August 17, 2005 3:25:19 AM

Thanks for the help. It turns out the ISP changed their telephone number
without notifying the customers! So simply correcting the tele no. cured the
problem. Sorry for the bother.

!