False Anti-Virus warning since latest update installed

August 16, 2005 6:58:31 PM

My machine has suddenly started giving me an error on start-up. The little
red shield appears in the system tray and a warning saying that my Norton
Anti-virus software is not working and I am not protected. However after a
short while this disappears.

I think it has something to do with the order the initial TSRs etc. are
loaded during the boot-up process, as once the Norton icon appears in the
system tray the red shield disappears. I wondered if there is any way I can
change the order

It is more annoying than a problem but if anyone knows how to stop it I'd be
grateful.

Noel
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:04:32 PM

I should have added that it has only happened since I my autoupdate, updated
my Windows XP a few days ago.

Sorry,

Noel
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:04:33 PM

Noel,
This happens by design. I run Nod32 which updates it's virus sigs.
almost on a daily basis. SP2 is quick to jump on the fact that my
pattern files aren't updated if I haven't used the computer for awhile.
The only recourse is to wait for the pattern files to update, then SP2
quits complaining.
You can turn off the alerts altogether.
'How to Disable Security Center Alerts' (http://tinyurl.com/3q9tr)
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

August 17, 2005 1:30:47 PM

Noel S Pamfree wrote:

> My machine has suddenly started giving me an error on
> start-up. The little red shield appears in the system
> tray and a warning saying that my Norton Anti-virus
> software is not working and I am not protected. However
> after a short while this disappears.

Write down the exact error message and visit the Microsoft
(http://www.microsoft.com) and Symantec
(http://www.symantec.com) sites.

This is a known problem. As to why it has just surfaced, I
don't know.

Cheers,

Cliff