Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 7 the Latest POS from Microsoft!

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
July 19, 2010 5:29:51 PM

So I buy and install windows 7 ultimate retail and ever since I've had one problem after another for seemingly no reason!

Point: Windows 7 installed, started and shut down fine for a couple of days then for no reason it just doesn't want to start up or shut down?

Fix that and the next day it says that my video drivers need updating, even though I have the latest drivers for my system. I even removed and reinstalled my video drivers to see if there was a problem and windows 7 still thinks I have the incorrect drivers, WTF?

Then:

I run a backup fine and the next time I want to run the backup it says that it's configured incorrectly, I check the configuration and it's fine, so I redo the HDD (I have F: and G: on the same HDD) to give G: a lot more room to store backups and I still get the same error even though it has almost 400GB room to stor the backup.

Today I go to start the system again and once again it won't start, it just sits there at the windows screen and I have to reboot, again. Run startup repair, again, this time it works and starts up but I had to startup from a previous restore point.

SO, WTF is wrong with Windows 7? I read all over the place that people keep getting the same kinds of problems that I do for no known reason??? Guess I should have skipped this OS to and just stayed with XP Pro SP3. Some day I'll learn!

Any advice on how to get this thing to stop giving me startup and/or shut down problems? What about getting rid of the video driver version error? What a PIA this has turned in to :( .
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 6:12:36 PM

Quote:
Windows 7 the Latest POS from Microsoft!


I installed Windows 7 64 BETA the day it came out on an AMD 64 4000 socket 939 and ran it until it expired more than a year later without a single problem. Not one. I have Windows 7 64 installed on five computers currently. My entire family uses Windows 7 64. Maintaing the five machines has been troublefree. I've never had the OS say anything close to 'my video drivers need updating'. There are many on this forum who have a similar experience with Windows 7.

EDIT for Writer's embellishment.
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 7:33:58 PM

I don't anticipate any trouble with Windows 7. The majority of the problems reported on Tom's are overwhelmingly end user incompotency related. I would say in the area of 99.5%.
m
2
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 7:41:06 PM

badge said:
I don't anticipate any trouble with Windows 7. The majority of the problems reported on Tom's are overwhelmingly end user incompotency related. I would say in the area of 99.5%.

Come on badge! Don't you recognize a bit of trolling flamebait when you see it?

Please do not feed the Trolls.
m
1
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 8:41:57 PM

Windows 7 is the best o/s m$ have released since Win2K.

Stable, quick and things just seem to work.
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 9:04:40 PM

It is nice, isn't it. 2K was definitely my previous favourite Windows.
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 9:09:39 PM

I've had no problems with win 7 (owned for about 6 months). I've only had one software incompatibility so far, and i just used xp mode.
m
-1
l
July 19, 2010 9:11:57 PM

Quote:
Your time has not yet come my friend. Just take a gander around the forum and enlighten me about how "trouble free" it is. lol


No worries, when the crap hit's the fan he will be the one screaming the loudest about how bad win 7 is, rofl. It's people like him who give humans a bad name!
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 9:15:42 PM



Here's what you do. Unplug all the wires from the back of your Windows 7 machine. Open the window and chuck it out in the yard beause you sure don't how to use it.
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 9:19:02 PM

alazeer said:
No worries, when the crap hit's the fan he will be the one screaming the loudest about how bad win 7 is, rofl. It's people like him who give humans a bad name!

I don't know if I should condemn you for your stupidity or marvel at your ability to form words.
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 9:22:26 PM

I've had my share. Sound,USB,USB3,Raid0,Sleep,no faster, no easier, How did that line in the south park movie go?
m
1
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 9:25:59 PM

mhelm1 said:
I've had my share. Sound,USB,USB3,Raid0,Sleep,no faster, no easier, How did that line in the south park movie go?


I would recommend alazeer as a source to solviing all your problems, but his Windows 7 is busted up out on his front lawn.
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 9:27:05 PM

Look at it this way. A couple of people here paid good bucks for an OS that they describe as a POS, despite having had almost a year's worth of betas and RCs to play with and find out if it worked for them. Others of us paid good bucks (or in my case good pounds) for an excellent OS having tried the betas and RCs and found that it worked just fine for us.

So ask yourself - who's the bright one and who's not the sharpest knife in the draw?
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 9:28:38 PM

Quote:
Your time has not yet come my friend. Just take a gander around the forum and enlighten me about how "trouble free" it is. lol



That's a pretty asinine viewpoint when one can simply look into the Vista (thousands of posts) and XP (many thousands of posts) forums and use the threads there as "evidence" the older OSs are even worse. This line of "reasoning" is no better than the many trolls we've had here claiming Vista is a dog and 'refuting' people defending that OS with ...yah - you don't have a problem... yet..." Certainly, Zip, you've been involved with dealing with those trolls. Saddening to think you'd turn around and do the same over here.

After all, I could use the same anecdotal evidence to conclude that the 3 installs I have running flawlessly at home means that individuals who do have problems must be stupid and don't know what they're doing. But such approaches are confrontational and generally unhelpful to anyone, except to perhaps serve as fodder for internet flame wars. ;) 

Now - What's I've seen so far in this thread are alleged symptoms and accusations the thing doesn't work. But little attempt at providing useful information we might use to troubleshoot. For example, it might be useful to know if the OP's mobo has an integrated GPU on it, and is he also running a standalone card? 'Cos if he's updating the drivers for the standalone card, that doesn't help the integrated, does it? Has he installed the proper motherboard drivers? Has he attempted basic troubleshooting, such as disconnecting all but the necessary devices in order to see of there's a conflict?
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 9:41:08 PM

Quote:
For example, it might be useful to know if the OP's mobo has an integrated GPU on it, and is he also running a standalone card? 'Cos if he's updating the drivers for the standalone card, that doesn't help the integrated, does it? Has he installed the proper motherboard drivers? Has he attempted basic troubleshooting, such as disconnecting all but the necessary devices in order to see of there's a conflict?


Considering the OP's skill level, performing any of the aforementioned is considered a computer-related inadequacy area.
m
1
l
July 19, 2010 9:58:33 PM

badge said:
Quote:
For example, it might be useful to know if the OP's mobo has an integrated GPU on it, and is he also running a standalone card? 'Cos if he's updating the drivers for the standalone card, that doesn't help the integrated, does it? Has he installed the proper motherboard drivers? Has he attempted basic troubleshooting, such as disconnecting all but the necessary devices in order to see of there's a conflict?


Considering the OP's skill level, performing any of the aforementioned is considered a computer-related inadequacy area.



Then again you also think you can judge how adept someone is by the color of their skin. ROFL, you're a joke and a total waste of oxygen! It's sad that people like you have to come to forums like this to try and tell everyone how great you are, when the reality of it is that you are more than likely sitting home alone day after day, night after night wishing you had at least one real freind :) . Get lost, you are boring at best!
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 10:08:34 PM

^^^someone is trolling pretty hard...
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 10:11:50 PM

After sifting through your nOObish recent posts, I realize how wrong I was about your trouble shooting skills I made reference to in the earlier post. Install the correct system drivers for your machine. Driver download page for your Win 7 system here.



m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 10:47:57 PM

alazeer said:
Then again you also think you can judge how adept someone is by the color of their skin. ROFL, you're a joke and a total waste of oxygen! It's sad that people like you have to come to forums like this to try and tell everyone how great you are, when the reality of it is that you are more than likely sitting home alone day after day, night after night wishing you had at least one real freind :) . Get lost, you are boring at best!

I didn't see any one else bringing skin colour up but if you carry on you are likely to end up living up to your motto and not being here tomorrow.
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 10:54:34 PM

alazeer
You do have a PHD; Wait PHD in BS doesn’t cut it. Please provide credentials, I’m sure you have some, I’m just am not sure what they are.

Using “the number of problems” in a forum setup to help those who do – What would you expect!! And I agree with badge, the vast majority are not a fault of the OS.
So far the only fault I have is (1) the DRM Crap they added starting with Vista and (2) Trying to force cloud based email by dropping OE/WinMail – But you can simply port Vista win mail over to Win 7.
That comment about “..at least one….”, I would suggest looking in the mirror.

Badge
Never push a jackass from the rear, an never ever try to reason/argue with a (Fill in the blank). I think others who read this can determine who is who.
m
-1
l
July 19, 2010 11:11:52 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I didn't see any one else bringing skin colour up but if you carry on you are likely to end up living up to your motto and not being here tomorrow.



I kew that comment would go over most of your heads. What I didn't relaize is that now even some (New) mods here are biased, what is hapening to this place? Little nerd kids acting like they know it all, mods kissing their butts and NO ONE offering any help at all. You can have this forum, I'll go to another one that actually offers help, not in this one where everyone is so stuck up they have to unzip to breath!
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2010 11:20:21 PM

alazeer said:
I kew that comment would go over most of your heads. What I didn't relaize is that now even some (New) mods here are biased, what is hapening to this place? Little nerd kids acting like they know it all, mods kissing their butts and NO ONE offering any help at all. You can have this forum, I'll go to another one that actually offers help, not in this one where everyone is so stuck up they have to unzip to breath!

Goodbye then, would you like your account to disappear as well?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 11:49:02 PM

Im with badge on this one. Windows 7 works great on the 50+ PCs I have installed it on. This is nothing more then user error, trying to pass the blame.

Maybe you should buy, some decent hardware before you blame the software.

Or buy a mac if your to stupid for a PC.
m
0
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 20, 2010 1:37:03 AM

Ok, time to get back to the problem at hand.

alazeer, please describe the problem(s) you are having in as much detail as possible, this time without resorting to simply blaming Microsoft for your troubles. I think you will get a much better response from the community this time.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 20, 2010 2:10:51 AM

Quote:
I'd say more like 50% are user error. I knew a million people were going to chime in and say "I've built 30,000 computers with Win7 and not one problem", yeah ok.

Like I said, take a gander around the forum and you'll see.


well i have all of my MSDn copies installed (that's 4) and not a single problem, and that includes my GF who came from a mac not too long ago (yes, i converted her)
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 20, 2010 2:25:41 AM

Scotteq said:
one can simply look into the Vista (thousands of posts) and XP (many thousands of posts) forums and use the threads there as "evidence" the older OSs are even worse.

This so true. When XP came out 512MB of RAM cost around $200! Few could afford a whole gig of system RAM. If you had a gig of system RAM you were boss. And XP performed terribly with less than 512. My 256MB system ran at a snails pace. I wanted my '98 back until I realized my memory was so stuffed the hourglass timer never stopped running. I thought having the hourglass timer on all the time was a new feature. XP made companies like Norton and some others instantly rich. Virus and spyware renderd XP helpless until the release of SP2 which unveiled the XP Security Center. Finally my XP machines stopped acting like Lindsey Lohan having a bad day. You're right scott, Windows 7's realease compared to the realease of XP is like smooth as a baby's behind. It's been almost a year and no SP. I doubt it last so long as to become the giant 'patch' XP has become in ten years. I'm not beatin' down XP. I still have my '98 ready to que up.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 20, 2010 2:41:07 AM

Quote:
I'd say more like 50% are user error. I knew a million people were going to chime in and say "I've built 30,000 computers with Win7 and not one problem", yeah ok.

Like I said, take a gander around the forum and you'll see.



If you poke around the forum, you will see most solved post turned out to be user error.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 20, 2010 7:38:19 AM

PEBKAC errors in 99% of cases. And yes, like 76% of all statistics, I made that one up on the spot.

I will however add my vote to the "been running 7 since the Beta and never had a problem" list.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 20, 2010 8:05:59 AM

Got to say I have run Windows 7 x64 since the beta. I dual booted 7 x64 and XP Pro until the RC expired and I think I booted into XP about 2 times that whole period. The day before the RC expired I installed x64 Ultimate full retail and goodbye XP forever. I love 7 and have it on all my family members computers as well. I have had not one single problem.......ever! No driver issues nothing.
I have installed it on Asus and Gigabyte and MSI boards with both Intel and AMD......DDR2 and DDR3......everthing from onboard graphics to a HD 5970. No problems ever.
All I can say is user error.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 8:12:24 AM

I've never had any serious problem with Win 7. In fact, this is overall the best working OS I've ever used (even comparing to XP). With variety of configurations out there, somebody may have problems, but it is not necessary that everyone else will have them. Saying that someone will have problems with it even if he hadn't any before is just ridiculous.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 12:22:43 PM

Yeah, no problems with Win7. Actually, I finally ditched XP 64bit and installed Win7 Pro over this past weekend. Pleasantly surprised at how quickly it installed (about 40 minutes total) and the level of drivers built in. Also installed Win7 Home on the wife's lappy several months ago and it is a far more stable OS than the previous OS, Vista Home.

I have to agree, M$ did their homework with Win7 and most issues posted seem to stem from PEBCAK.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 20, 2010 1:10:15 PM

Scotteq said:
Now - What's I've seen so far in this thread are alleged symptoms and accusations the thing doesn't work. But little attempt at providing useful information we might use to troubleshoot. For example, it might be useful to know if the OP's mobo has an integrated GPU on it, and is he also running a standalone card? 'Cos if he's updating the drivers for the standalone card, that doesn't help the integrated, does it? Has he installed the proper motherboard drivers? Has he attempted basic troubleshooting, such as disconnecting all but the necessary devices in order to see of there's a conflict?



alazeer said:
I kew that comment would go over most of your heads. What I didn't relaize is that now even some (New) mods here are biased, what is hapening to this place? Little nerd kids acting like they know it all, mods kissing their butts and NO ONE offering any help at all. You can have this forum, I'll go to another one that actually offers help, not in this one where everyone is so stuck up they have to unzip to breath!



...so instead of providing the information as *I* suggested, you resort to race baiting and insults?? :lol:  :sleep: 

Take your trolling elsewhere, thanks.


m
0
l
!