Sympatico & XP Service Pack 2 problem

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Hi There:

Am running XP with service pack 2 on a P III system.

Decided to go highspeed with Bell Sympatico with router.

Went through installation with Bell technician and can't connect.

Am using an Ethernet card. Tried also with USB connection and have same
problem

I get an "Error 678" each time.

Bell sent me another router and same problem.

We disabled all start up programs including Zone Alarm and same problem.

Bell tested from their end and Ethernet and router is OK

Contacted twice MS Hotline for help and got disconnected.

Don't know what to do next.

Could someone help me .... please

Jacques
jarin@globetrotter.net
3 answers Last reply
More about sympatico service pack problem

    Just keep buggin Sympatico - From own experience few years ago,
    can talk to 10 different people and get 10 different solutions. Ask
    to speak to a Supervisor.

    "Jacques Lorrain" <jarin@globetrotter.net> wrote in message
    > Tuesday, August 16, 2005
    >
    > Hi There:
    >
    > Am running XP with service pack 2 on a P III system.
    >
    > Decided to go highspeed with Bell Sympatico with router.
    >
    > Went through installation with Bell technician and can't connect.
    >
    > Am using an Ethernet card. Tried also with USB connection and have same
    > problem
    >
    > I get an "Error 678" each time.
    >
    > Bell sent me another router and same problem.
    >
    > We disabled all start up programs including Zone Alarm and same problem.
    >
    > Bell tested from their end and Ethernet and router is OK
    >
    > Contacted twice MS Hotline for help and got disconnected.
    >
    > Don't know what to do next.
    >
    > Could someone help me .... please
    >
    > Jacques
    > jarin@globetrotter.net

    I'm on Sympatico HS and SP2. The problem may not be with either Sympatico
    or SP2 but with the XP TCP/IP protocol stack.

    Download, install and run:

    AD Aware SE
    Spybot: Search and Destroy
    CWShredder
    Microsoft AntiSpyware

    and clean/clear out all/any spywares from your PC.

    Then, locatem download and run "Winsockxpfix.exe". This will reset the
    TCP/IP protocol stack back to Microsoft's default standards. Then, you
    should be able to get to the web with Sympatico HS service.

    Also, if you have a router, you may need to have the Sympatico
    username/password placed into its configuration page. It is supposed to be
    the router that starts up the DSL PPPoE connection, not the PC's PPPoE
    dial-up connection.

    "Jacques Lorrain" <jarin@globetrotter.net> wrote in message
    > Tuesday, August 16, 2005
    >
    > Hi There:
    >
    > Am running XP with service pack 2 on a P III system.
    >
    > Decided to go highspeed with Bell Sympatico with router.
    >
    > Went through installation with Bell technician and can't connect.
    >
    > Am using an Ethernet card. Tried also with USB connection and have same
    > problem
    >
    > I get an "Error 678" each time.
    >
    > Bell sent me another router and same problem.
    >
    > We disabled all start up programs including Zone Alarm and same problem.
    >
    > Bell tested from their end and Ethernet and router is OK
    >
    > Contacted twice MS Hotline for help and got disconnected.
    >
    > Don't know what to do next.
    >
    > Could someone help me .... please
    >
    > Jacques
    > jarin@globetrotter.net

    is the router one of sympatico speed stream 6300's

    "Jacques Lorrain" <jarin@globetrotter.net> wrote in message
    > Tuesday, August 16, 2005
    >
    > Hi There:
    >
    > Am running XP with service pack 2 on a P III system.
    >
    > Decided to go highspeed with Bell Sympatico with router.
    >
    > Went through installation with Bell technician and can't connect.
    >
    > Am using an Ethernet card. Tried also with USB connection and have same
    > problem
    >
    > I get an "Error 678" each time.
    >
    > Bell sent me another router and same problem.
    >
    > We disabled all start up programs including Zone Alarm and same problem.
    >
    > Bell tested from their end and Ethernet and router is OK
    >
    > Contacted twice MS Hotline for help and got disconnected.
    >
    > Don't know what to do next.
    >
    > Could someone help me .... please
    >
    > Jacques
    > jarin@globetrotter.net

Routers Connection Ethernet Card Windows XP