Sympatico & XP Service Pack 2 problem

August 16, 2005 9:43:10 PM

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Hi There:

Am running XP with service pack 2 on a P III system.

Decided to go highspeed with Bell Sympatico with router.

Went through installation with Bell technician and can't connect.

Am using an Ethernet card. Tried also with USB connection and have same
problem

I get an "Error 678" each time.

Bell sent me another router and same problem.

We disabled all start up programs including Zone Alarm and same problem.

Bell tested from their end and Ethernet and router is OK

Contacted twice MS Hotline for help and got disconnected.

Don't know what to do next.

Could someone help me .... please

Jacques
jarin@globetrotter.net
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:43:11 PM

Just keep buggin Sympatico - From own experience few years ago,
can talk to 10 different people and get 10 different solutions. Ask
to speak to a Supervisor.

"Jacques Lorrain" <jarin@globetrotter.net> wrote in message
news:o ApMe.135099$wr.63810@clgrps12...
> Tuesday, August 16, 2005
>
> Hi There:
>
> Am running XP with service pack 2 on a P III system.
>
> Decided to go highspeed with Bell Sympatico with router.
>
> Went through installation with Bell technician and can't connect.
>
> Am using an Ethernet card. Tried also with USB connection and have same
> problem
>
> I get an "Error 678" each time.
>
> Bell sent me another router and same problem.
>
> We disabled all start up programs including Zone Alarm and same problem.
>
> Bell tested from their end and Ethernet and router is OK
>
> Contacted twice MS Hotline for help and got disconnected.
>
> Don't know what to do next.
>
> Could someone help me .... please
>
> Jacques
> jarin@globetrotter.net

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 2:46:22 PM

I'm on Sympatico HS and SP2. The problem may not be with either Sympatico
or SP2 but with the XP TCP/IP protocol stack.

Download, install and run:

AD Aware SE
Spybot: Search and Destroy
CWShredder
Microsoft AntiSpyware

and clean/clear out all/any spywares from your PC.

Then, locatem download and run "Winsockxpfix.exe". This will reset the
TCP/IP protocol stack back to Microsoft's default standards. Then, you
should be able to get to the web with Sympatico HS service.

Also, if you have a router, you may need to have the Sympatico
username/password placed into its configuration page. It is supposed to be
the router that starts up the DSL PPPoE connection, not the PC's PPPoE
dial-up connection.

"Jacques Lorrain" <jarin@globetrotter.net> wrote in message
news:o ApMe.135099$wr.63810@clgrps12...
> Tuesday, August 16, 2005
>
> Hi There:
>
> Am running XP with service pack 2 on a P III system.
>
> Decided to go highspeed with Bell Sympatico with router.
>
> Went through installation with Bell technician and can't connect.
>
> Am using an Ethernet card. Tried also with USB connection and have same
> problem
>
> I get an "Error 678" each time.
>
> Bell sent me another router and same problem.
>
> We disabled all start up programs including Zone Alarm and same problem.
>
> Bell tested from their end and Ethernet and router is OK
>
> Contacted twice MS Hotline for help and got disconnected.
>
> Don't know what to do next.
>
> Could someone help me .... please
>
> Jacques
> jarin@globetrotter.net

August 18, 2005 12:03:59 AM

is the router one of sympatico speed stream 6300's

!