Old drive won't start OS with new hardware

I have just put together a new system, which works fine with a scratch 10GB
hard drive that I just built.
When I try to use my old 80GB hard drive (which worked fine with the old
hardware), I can't get past the screen which warns that the hardware has
been changed. I have the recovery console installed, and I've tried Safe
Mode, however, it just keeps looping. What do I need to do in order for the
old drive to recognize the new hardware?
I don't mind re-registering the software, I just don't want to lose all my
data on the old hard drive!
Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dave
3 answers Last reply
More about drive start hardware

    Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "DSL-Dave" wrote:

    | I have just put together a new system, which works fine with a scratch 10GB
    | hard drive that I just built.
    | When I try to use my old 80GB hard drive (which worked fine with the old
    | hardware), I can't get past the screen which warns that the hardware has
    | been changed. I have the recovery console installed, and I've tried Safe
    | Mode, however, it just keeps looping. What do I need to do in order for the
    | old drive to recognize the new hardware?
    | I don't mind re-registering the software, I just don't want to lose all my
    | data on the old hard drive!
    | Any help would be appreciated.
    |
    | Many thanks,
    |
    | Dave

    Hi DSL-Dave,

    When you move a drive that has XP already installed to a system with
    different hardware, a repair install (in-place upgrade) usually has to be
    performed, but there are situations when this should not or cannot be done.
    Have a look at this article written by Michael Stevens:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "DSL-Dave" <dminott@yourshortsDomino-Biz.com> wrote in message
    > I have just put together a new system, which works fine with a scratch
    10GB
    > hard drive that I just built.
    > When I try to use my old 80GB hard drive (which worked fine with the old
    > hardware), I can't get past the screen which warns that the hardware has
    > been changed. I have the recovery console installed, and I've tried Safe
    > Mode, however, it just keeps looping. What do I need to do in order for
    the
    > old drive to recognize the new hardware?
    > I don't mind re-registering the software, I just don't want to lose all my
    > data on the old hard drive!
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    Many thanks to those who responded to my plea with suggestions!
    I had called Microsoft install support, and spent close to an hour on the
    phone, and after having to do a removal of the service packs, I was still
    not able to successfully re-install the OS. It was at that point, that I
    decided that "discretion was the better part of valor!" Since I did have a
    current backup, and had prepared an ASR disk, I decided that my best
    recourse was to do a complete reformat and re-install. I am now able to
    boot into safe mode, however, there appears to be some issues with drivers.
    I would strongly suggest that anyone contemplating this route should create
    an ASR disk and ensure that they have a current backup!
    Thanks again,
    Dave

    > Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    >
    > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    -----------------

    > "DSL-Dave" wrote:
    >
    > | I have just put together a new system, which works fine with a scratch
    10GB
    > | hard drive that I just built.
    > | When I try to use my old 80GB hard drive (which worked fine with the old
    > | hardware), I can't get past the screen which warns that the hardware has
    > | been changed. I have the recovery console installed, and I've tried Safe
    > | Mode, however, it just keeps looping. What do I need to do in order for
    the
    > | old drive to recognize the new hardware?
    > | I don't mind re-registering the software, I just don't want to lose all
    my
    > | data on the old hard drive!
    > | Any help would be appreciated.
    > |
    > | Many thanks,