When did this ng die?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
February 17, 2005 7:30:41 AM

Just curious. I used to enjoy reading all the posts here, but people have
gone elsewhere...

Dane.

More about : die

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 7:30:42 AM

I think that the other replies have pretty much hit the major reasons
why the newsgroup is not as dynamic as it once was, although I always
pop by about once a day or so to look at whatever postings have come
up.

I started reading rgvc back in 1994, pretty much lurking for the
majority of the time. I enjoyed reading and learning from other
people, many who were more invested in rgvc than I, but one thing with
a newsgroup is that it is very hard to gauge how many people just read
as opposed to those who read and post regularly.

I still quietly collect Atari stuff, and have found uses for thinking
about video games as I have continued in my academic studies in "new
media," and sometimes I do get ideas or a piece of useful data from
rgvc.

Right now, I think it is what it is, but I'll be interested to see how
it changes (for better or worse depending on your personal opinion) in
the future.

> Just curious. I used to enjoy reading all the posts here, but people
have
> gone elsewhere...
>
> Dane.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 8:30:14 AM

In article <R5VQd.3032$9J5.72@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote:

> Just curious. I used to enjoy reading all the posts here, but people have
> gone elsewhere...
>
> Dane.

I still lurk, post occasionally, when something worthy grabsd my
attention. big part of the problem here is that in the last couple
years, a couple rounds of in fighting appear to have driven some off,
combined with the bursting of the nostalgia on the classics bubble, such
that several long timers got bored with games and moved on to fresh
interests. And for those who are here, so many of the subjects posted
seem (errantly at times) to be rehashes of threads previously exhausted.

But also, browser based discussion forums on the whole seem to be
supplanting the news groups. Hell, AOL is dropping newsgroups from
their basic services. Here in St. Louis, Charter's Cable Modem service
has a flawed newsgroup server, and Charter does not seem inclined to fix
the problem.

All these and numerous additional elements lead to the underutilization
of newsgroups, such that they appear dead to others,

jt
February 17, 2005 8:30:15 AM

jt august <starsabre@att.net> wrote in

> I still lurk, post occasionally, when something worthy grabsd my
> attention. big part of the problem here is that in the last couple
> years, a couple rounds of in fighting appear to have driven some off,

Yeah, some unfortunate squabbles with some long time-friends, only to
be replaced by newcomers with attitude problems. Both groups have since
departed, leaving not much else.

> combined with the bursting of the nostalgia on the classics bubble,

It's really been pushed for all it's worth, eh? Once Hot Topic starts
cashing in, your hobby has been officially run into the ground.

> But also, browser based discussion forums on the whole seem to be
> supplanting the news groups.

I really don't care for web-based discussion, for a number of reasons.
I much prefer the simple text of usenet... it's lightning fast on my
cable connection, and can't be crashed by a script kiddie.

To answer your question, I think the group's decline began sometime
after 2001. That's when the regulars started disappearing, the dipshits
showed up, the web forums got big, and in general, people started moving
on.

This used to be my favorite ng, and it still is whenever a good
discussion flares up. I stick around thinking, maybe, people will
come back for some reason or other.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:13:59 AM

I for one discovered that Everquest took up much of my free time in 2000
and I started to slack off on collecting. Bought my house in 2001 and
still have all my systems packed up due to home renovations. Some day I
will have a nice gameroom though....

Other than the occasional driveby scanning of the topics, I only
starteed looking at the NG within the week.

Chris Ross

Dane L. Galden wrote:

> Just curious. I used to enjoy reading all the posts here, but people have
> gone elsewhere...
>
> Dane.

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:30:02 AM

In article <Xns9600B8D95561linkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105>,
"Aaron J. Bossig" <linkvb06@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote:

> This used to be my favorite ng, and it still is whenever a good
> discussion flares up. I stick around thinking, maybe, people will
> come back for some reason or other.

I stick around for that reason also. As to my own collecting, I have
always been an all range collector, so as the nex-gen classics come to
garage sale prices, I still have plenty to collect. I also like the
fact that with the classic and neo-classic bubbles bursting, those
prices are bottoming back out on ePay. I also bought a house in 2k1,
and have big plans for the video playground. But currently I work 2
jobs and lack the time and energy.

jt
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:49:03 AM

"Aaron J. Bossig" <linkvb06@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> writes:

>>But also, browser based discussion forums on the whole seem to be
>>supplanting the news groups.

>I really don't care for web-based discussion, for a number of reasons.
>I much prefer the simple text of usenet... it's lightning fast on my
>cable connection, and can't be crashed by a script kiddie.

That's exactly why I prefer Usenet. Plus, the interface is determined by
your newsreader, so you get to choose (not some sluggish garish PHP-board
interface). Actually, I prefer mailing lists most of all since they're
a push medium rather than pull (I can read them passively), but give me
a newsgroup over a Web board any day.

Unfortunately, my prime interest is Commodore computers, which this group
only occasionally overlaps (I mostly read/lurk in comp.sys.cbm). However,
I'll pile in with a good Intellivision or Dreamcast thread, the two
consoles that I do collect for :)  ... and if you count the Tomy Tutor, I
guess that makes three, since thanks to Tomy's bad design decisions it's
more game machine than home computer, sigh.

--
Cameron Kaiser * ckaiser@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
personal page: http://www.armory.com/%7Espectre/

"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message
> Just curious. I used to enjoy reading all the posts here, but people have
> gone elsewhere...

It's symptomatic of Usenet in general -- kooks, spam, and the availability
of web forums have pretty much killed off many discussion groups. I only
come around here out of habit ... the news is always old by the time it
reaches rgvc. I guess I just don't want to miss anything.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 2:20:49 PM

In article <XuXQd.19257$0h5.9705@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
Chris Ross <pragmatist@kc.rr.com> wrote:

> I for one discovered that Everquest took up much of my free time in 2000
> and I started to slack off on collecting. Bought my house in 2001 and
> still have all my systems packed up due to home renovations. Some day I
> will have a nice gameroom though....

Ditto, except substitute anime fandom for Evercrack. Only last week did
I finally find the bulk of my 2600 and 800 collections.

I really got back into classic games about a year ago, just in time to
get a Cuttle Cart 2, and it's been mostly AtariAge for me, with some
time wasted on #rgvc every now and then.
February 17, 2005 5:48:51 PM

> All these and numerous additional elements lead to the underutilization
> of newsgroups, such that they appear dead to others,

They sure are nice for binaries.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 6:53:04 PM

"Bruce Tomlin" <bruce#fanboy.net@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> In article <XuXQd.19257$0h5.9705@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
> Chris Ross <pragmatist@kc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I for one discovered that Everquest took up much of my free time in 2000
>> and I started to slack off on collecting. Bought my house in 2001 and
>> still have all my systems packed up due to home renovations. Some day I
>> will have a nice gameroom though....
>
> Ditto, except substitute anime fandom for Evercrack.

This is what basically happened to me too. I hate to say it, but I
spend more cash on anime these days then I do games. :)

I check in on this group maybe once a week to see what is going on. I
still like classic games, but you don't stay as active in it when you no
longer come home from the thrifts every weekend with a bunch of new stuff.

Aaron
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 7:57:24 PM

The newsgroup seems deader to me since i filter out all the FS: and FA:
posts. Sad when a newsgroup ends up being 90% capitalism.

"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message
> Just curious. I used to enjoy reading all the posts here, but people have
> gone elsewhere...
>
> Dane.

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 11:03:03 PM

But the forums are so spread out they have a group for every subject. One
would have to spend all day just to read the latest threads....... and is it
me? (being an old school web design guy) or is PHP generic and loads bad...
I think websites should visual not same PHP template look everytime...

Newsgroups seems so much easier... everything is in 1 group scroll
down/click and read... not spread out over 10 pages of subcatagories then if
you post something you have to remember where you posted... bah... maybe I
am lazy :)

VastFear

"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message
> Just curious. I used to enjoy reading all the posts here, but people have
> gone elsewhere...
>
> Dane.

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:11:38 AM

"VastFear" <vastfear@csinet.net> wrote in

> But the forums are so spread out they have a group for every subject.
> One would have to spend all day just to read the latest threads.......
> and is it me? (being an old school web design guy) or is PHP generic
> and loads bad... I think websites should visual not same PHP template
> look everytime...
>
> Newsgroups seems so much easier... everything is in 1 group scroll
> down/click and read... not spread out over 10 pages of subcatagories
> then if you post something you have to remember where you posted...
> bah... maybe I am lazy :)

I have the same thoughts each time I read a PHP group. I wonder how
many good discussions I've forgotten about after posting in them?

Oh well. The nice thing about usenet becoming less popular is that
you do see fewer people trying to post in HTML.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:19:26 AM

jt august <starsabre@att.net> wrote in news:starsabre-
2BC4EB.01303917022005@netnews.worldnet.att.net:

> As to my own collecting, I have
> always been an all range collector, so as the nex-gen classics come to
> garage sale prices, I still have plenty to collect. I also like the
> fact that with the classic and neo-classic bubbles bursting, those
> prices are bottoming back out on ePay. I also bought a house in 2k1,
> and have big plans for the video playground. But currently I work 2
> jobs and lack the time and energy.

Looks like you and I are kind of in the same boat, jt. I'm working
2 jobs myself, and my goal is to find a better job... something that'll
let me relocate to the midwest and set up my own place.

It's a nice goal for the future, but for the present, it means that all
my classic stuff is in storage, leaving only the current-gen systems
out for use. I miss my old stuff on a daily basis, but there'd be no
point in dragging it out-- it's packed too well, and I don't have time
enough to play my PS2/X-Box/Cube/GBA as it is. Between work and
everything else, the priorities just aren't there right now. :-(

What I find funny about all this is that I've been buying games at a
faster rate than before. I've got some decent new sources that have
been good to me for classic games, and I've been using my employee
discount to get modern games and stuff on the cheap. I figure, once I
do move, money will be tight, so I'd better stockpile games now. :-)

It's hard to participate when you just don't have time to enjoy the
hobby the newsgroup is devoted to.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:26:28 AM

"I've Got A Loverly Bunch of Coconuts" <slartibartfast@hugh.jass.org>
wrote in news:42149736$0$44604$c0de7616@dsl.net:

> It's symptomatic of Usenet in general -- kooks, spam, and the
> availability of web forums have pretty much killed off many discussion
> groups. I only come around here out of habit ... the news is always
> old by the time it reaches rgvc. I guess I just don't want to miss
> anything.

Earlier in the thread, I pegged 2001 as being the turning point.
Coincidentally, just after writing that post, I found this article
by John C. Dvorak:

In it, he details the negative effects of the old Dejanews being absorbed
into Google. Didn't it happen at about the same time? I wonder if that
had some sort of roundabout effect on all of usenet, causing interest
to be lost on a mass scale. Or more correctly, making people lose interest
faster than they already were.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:50:49 AM

I wouldn't call myself a regular from a handfull (at best) posts a
couple years ago. But I was just thinking this week of dusting off my
hobby of collecting. I'm even planning on heading to the Classic Gaming
Expo this year. I also decided to look at the ng for the first time in
almost a year.

I also don't know how my collecting will go in my new location (I was
transfered to Des Moines last year), but it doesn't seem good. I went
through a couple of thrift stores and I didn't find one 2600,
colecovision, c-64, or even a combat cart. I guess I'll have to keep an
eye out for older or independant thrift stores, also flea markets this
summer. Or perhaps take weekend trips down to Chicago to hit the thrift
stores (and Portillo's).
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 11:21:09 AM

It's been pretty dead as of late. I just can't find the time to devote
myself to my hobby as I used to. I'm so busy with college and women that
other priorities have come up. I can't even remember when I discovered this
newsgroup. I'll dedicate myself to my hobby once I have more freetime and
money again.

Mojo

"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message
> Just curious. I used to enjoy reading all the posts here, but people have
> gone elsewhere...
>
> Dane.

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:37:15 PM

"Aaron J. Bossig" <linkvb06@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote in message
> "I've Got A Loverly Bunch of Coconuts" <slartibartfast@hugh.jass.org>
> wrote in news:42149736$0$44604$c0de7616@dsl.net:
>
> > It's symptomatic of Usenet in general -- kooks, spam, and the
> > availability of web forums have pretty much killed off many discussion
> > groups. I only come around here out of habit ... the news is always
> > old by the time it reaches rgvc. I guess I just don't want to miss
> > anything.

- snip pointer to article assigning responsibility of Usenet decline to
Google purchase of DejaNews

I don't think Google's purchase of Dejanews has had a negative effect on
Usenet. Sure, they screwed up the search interface but they massively
increased the archive. I'm an Apple II hobbyist and was overjoyed when I
discovered deja because I now had access to most posts made to my main
group, comp.sys.apple2, made within the past 5 years (IIRC.) A couple years
later, Google bought the ailing Deja (whose searchable content had been
shrinking) and restored the archive. Over time they even expanded it such
that I can now read messages from Apple II hobbyists on net.micro.apple that
predate the Mac or even the Videogame Crash. Sure, there are holes, but
Wow!, what a resource.

Come to think of it, maybe there was a negative effect. These days I spend
as much time in Usenet past as Usenet present. ;)

Changing gears, I believe RGVC has declined with the rise of Ebay. Not only
are rare items easier to find and thrifts more frequently pillaged but this
place has turned into a freakin marketplace group. Without filters , it's
visually difficult to scan for posts related to the hobby.

-Liam
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:39:33 PM

"Spitfire 1500" <s1500@comcast.net> wrote in message
> The newsgroup seems deader to me since i filter out all the FS: and FA:
> posts. Sad when a newsgroup ends up being 90% capitalism.

Agreed. They're drowning the newsgroup.

- Liam
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:31:34 PM

In article <QPWdnVAQoq9K0YjfRVn-1w@csinet.net>,
"VastFear" <vastfear@csinet.net> wrote:

> Newsgroups seems so much easier... everything is in 1 group scroll
> down/click and read... not spread out over 10 pages of subcatagories then if
> you post something you have to remember where you posted... bah... maybe I
> am lazy :)

That is why I don't get involved in web based forums. So many so spread
out, and not enough content to make it worth it. eventually, all the
same subjects make their rounds. Plus also, for those of us who only
have dial-up, html prettiness and java bouncyness take longer to
download.

jt
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:33:07 PM

In article <l-ednevZ_-fxvIjfRVn-tQ@comcast.com>,
"Spitfire 1500" <s1500@comcast.net> wrote:

> The newsgroup seems deader to me since i filter out all the FS: and FA:
> posts. Sad when a newsgroup ends up being 90% capitalism.

But for at least this forum, there has always been a high presence of
selling. Back before ePay, this was THE place to buy, sell and trade
the classic games.

jt
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:34:32 PM

In article <SKydnRYiNpmlmYjfRVn-hQ@buckeye-express.com>,
"Aaron R. Schnuth" <aaron@DONT.schnuth.SPAM.com.ME> wrote:

> but you don't stay as active in it when you no
> longer come home from the thrifts every weekend with a bunch of new stuff.

No pun intended, right?
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 10:02:17 PM

"Liam Busey" <buseyl@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Changing gears, I believe RGVC has declined with the rise of Ebay. Not
> only are rare items easier to find and thrifts more frequently
> pillaged but this place has turned into a freakin marketplace group.
> Without filters , it's visually difficult to scan for posts related to
> the hobby.

Oh, yeah, I'd completely discounted that. No point in doing newsgroup
auctions anymore, that's for sure.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 10:03:45 PM

jt august <starsabre@att.net> wrote in news:starsabre-FC6779.12333318022005
@netnews.worldnet.att.net:

>> The newsgroup seems deader to me since i filter out all the FS: and FA:
>> posts. Sad when a newsgroup ends up being 90% capitalism.
>
> But for at least this forum, there has always been a high presence of
> selling. Back before ePay, this was THE place to buy, sell and trade
> the classic games.

True, but it was always a touchy subject. How many times
did someone try to propose a rec.games.video.classic.marketplace?

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:55:44 AM

"jt august" <starsabre@att.net> wrote in message

>> but you don't stay as active in it when you no
>> longer come home from the thrifts every weekend with a bunch of new
>> stuff.
>
> No pun intended, right?

Well, thrift store purchases are new to me anyway. :)

Aaron
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:12:49 PM

In article <Xns9601CC0CC2DA9linkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105>,
"Aaron J. Bossig" <linkvb06@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote:

> jt august <starsabre@att.net> wrote in news:starsabre-FC6779.12333318022005
> @netnews.worldnet.att.net:
>
> >> The newsgroup seems deader to me since i filter out all the FS: and FA:
> >> posts. Sad when a newsgroup ends up being 90% capitalism.
> >
> > But for at least this forum, there has always been a high presence of
> > selling. Back before ePay, this was THE place to buy, sell and trade
> > the classic games.
> >

> True, but it was always a touchy subject. How many times
> did someone try to propose a rec.games.video.classic.marketplace?

Too many. I seldom weighed in, but I never minded the marketplace
aspect here. I do, however, still object to posting an item for sale if
it is up for bids on eBay. If it is a single Buy It Now price, OK. But
if it has a bid and BIN, most likely by the time many or most see it,
the BIN price is already gone due to bids, and thus it should be flagged
FA, or state eBay in the subject.

And honestly, with all respectable readers having filters, I never
understood the issue. I almost never see spam thanks to my filters
doing their job.

And thinking back to the days of old and selling, anyone know whatever
happened to sssssspacedhead - er - sssssspacewalk?

jt
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:32:05 PM

> And thinking back to the days of old and selling, anyone know whatever
> happened to sssssspacedhead - er - sssssspacewalk?
>
> jt

I thought he morphed into BGG...
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:32:06 PM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:32:05 GMT, "Dane L. Galden"
<chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote:

>"jt august" <starsabre@att.net> wrote in message
>> And thinking back to the days of old and selling, anyone know whatever
>> happened to sssssspacedhead - er - sssssspacewalk?
>>
>> jt
>
>I thought he morphed into BGG...

No way. sssssssssspacewalk was someone with a ton of $$$ that bought
what he wanted. I remember when he bought an Adventure Vision off
ebay and pissed off a bunch of the regulars around here. I miss those
soap opera days, any little thing would cause turmoil in this
group...usually all the whining done by dorks without a penny to their
name crying about "the love of the hobby".

There were some real characters that passed through here. Doopdoops,
Paul Smith, Terry Ortman and the Maverick vs. Novak wars were
priceless.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:18:32 PM

Turbo-Torch <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:32:05 GMT, "Dane L. Galden"
> <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote:
>

>>"jt august" <starsabre@att.net> wrote in message
>>> And thinking back to the days of old and selling, anyone know
>>> whatever happened to sssssspacedhead - er - sssssspacewalk?
>>>
>>> jt
>>
>>I thought he morphed into BGG...
>
> No way. sssssssssspacewalk was someone with a ton of $$$ that bought
> what he wanted. I remember when he bought an Adventure Vision off
> ebay and pissed off a bunch of the regulars around here.

Wasn't that Buyatari? I thought spacewalk was just a guy who posted
all sorts of unintelligible FS/FA posts. I don't think money was one
of his assets... everything he wanted to buy, he asked for it cheap.

Anyway, he wasn't BGG, I don't think.

>I miss those
> soap opera days, any little thing would cause turmoil in this
> group...usually all the whining done by dorks without a penny to their
> name crying about "the love of the hobby".

Yeah, we were as vocal as MLB fans during the mid-90s. ;-)

> There were some real characters that passed through here. Doopdoops,
> Paul Smith, Terry Ortman and the Maverick vs. Novak wars were
> priceless.

Don't forget Cyberyogi, the guy who invented a religion out of Star Trek
and Atari games.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:38:31 PM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:18:32 -0600, "Aaron J. Bossig"
<linkvb06@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote:

>Turbo-Torch <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:32:05 GMT, "Dane L. Galden"
>> <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote:
>>

>>>"jt august" <starsabre@att.net> wrote in message

>>>I thought he morphed into BGG...
>>
>> No way. sssssssssspacewalk was someone with a ton of $$$ that bought
>> what he wanted. I remember when he bought an Adventure Vision off
>> ebay and pissed off a bunch of the regulars around here.
>
>Wasn't that Buyatari? I thought spacewalk was just a guy who posted
>all sorts of unintelligible FS/FA posts. I don't think money was one
>of his assets... everything he wanted to buy, he asked for it cheap.

Spacewalk did buy some high dollar items including a VERY expensive
Adventure Vision.
Buy Atari was probably the biggest spender on classics I've ever seen.
I often wonder how their investments turned out now that the
collecting craze has bottomed out.

>Anyway, he wasn't BGG, I don't think.

Not a chance. SatanShoe yes, but not sssssspacewalk. Wonder where
BGG has been lately?

>>I miss those
>> soap opera days, any little thing would cause turmoil in this
>> group...usually all the whining done by dorks without a penny to their
>> name crying about "the love of the hobby".
>
>Yeah, we were as vocal as MLB fans during the mid-90s. ;-)
>
>> There were some real characters that passed through here. Doopdoops,
>> Paul Smith, Terry Ortman and the Maverick vs. Novak wars were
>> priceless.
>
>Don't forget Cyberyogi, the guy who invented a religion out of Star Trek
>and Atari games.

Oh man, how did I forget the pee drinker!
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:42:13 PM

In article <1l3f11t92v1rcf89fmtgvpufpphlrelo4r@4ax.com>,
Turbo-Torch <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maverick vs. Novak wars were priceless.

Oh, Novak. I forgot about that smeg-for-brains. My one and only
newsgroup auction, he had one of his plants (or was it him from a
different addy) bid and win some stuff, then of course renege on
payment, and blather my home phone and snail mail addy all over this and
a few other newsgroups, hoping to get no one to pay up (his plant was
the only one who didn't pay).

I just did a google search on his site, and found that he is long out of
business (404 on io.com).

Mav wasn't the only one who had a squabble with him around here.

jt
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:07:06 AM

> Spacewalk did buy some high dollar items including a VERY expensive
> Adventure Vision.
> Buy Atari was probably the biggest spender on classics I've ever seen.
> I often wonder how their investments turned out now that the
> collecting craze has bottomed out.

Buyatari is actually the co-founder of East Coast Gaming Expo, first show
wouldn't have happened without him. His money is well spent, he has some
VERY impressive items in his collection. And he's collecting them as much
as ever. 8*)

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

Chuck Whitby <intvsama@verizon.net> wrote in

> Turbo-Torch <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Spacewalk did buy some high dollar items including a VERY expensive
>> Adventure Vision.
>> Buy Atari was probably the biggest spender on classics I've ever
>> seen. I often wonder how their investments turned out now that the
>> collecting craze has bottomed out.
>
> Buyatari is actually the co-founder of East Coast Gaming Expo, first
> show wouldn't have happened without him. His money is well spent, he
> has some VERY impressive items in his collection. And he's collecting
> them as much as ever. 8*)

He really should have a museum website, if he doesn't already.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 2:40:34 AM

Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
> Chuck Whitby <intvsama@verizon.net> wrote in
>

>>Turbo-Torch <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>

>>>Spacewalk did buy some high dollar items including a VERY expensive
>>>Adventure Vision.
>>>Buy Atari was probably the biggest spender on classics I've ever
>>>seen. I often wonder how their investments turned out now that the
>>>collecting craze has bottomed out.
>>
>>Buyatari is actually the co-founder of East Coast Gaming Expo, first
>>show wouldn't have happened without him. His money is well spent, he
>>has some VERY impressive items in his collection. And he's collecting
>>them as much as ever. 8*)
>

> He really should have a museum website, if he doesn't already.

Adam has touched on this in the past over on Digital Press, he has a
vast amount of prototypes as well, that he's talked about someday
creating a website for his rarities to showcase. I think he's just a
very busy guy & doesn't get around to all that just yet.

But yeah he's still very active in his spending. I've bid against him in
the past too, :o  He's one Atariage/DP almost daily.

Spacewalk sort of drifted away, maybe just a change in username. His
ebay handle was ssspacewalk@aol.com or however you spell it at one time,
maybe he still buys/sells just as a different user?

But TT is correct, Spacewalk spent somewhere in the neighborhood of
$2500 on an Adventure vision, he did spend some serious money as well.
But most of his posts to this newsgroup were spam to his ebay auctions.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:16:41 AM

I stumbled on an old poll I posted at the dawn of the millennia. I have
edited it to update it a bit, and will post it later this week to gage
the participation of this newsgroup. Let's see how dead it really is
around here.

jt
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:32:15 AM

> But the forums are so spread out they have a group for every subject. One
> would have to spend all day just to read the latest threads.......
> Newsgroups seems so much easier... everything is in 1 group scroll
> down/click and read... not spread out over 10 pages of subcatagories

But see... you don't know. In both the AA and DP web forums you just click
"show posts since last visit". It puts everything in 1 group scroll
down/click and read with no subcategories! JUST LIKE YOU SAID.

> then if
> you post something you have to remember where you posted... bah... maybe I
> am lazy :)

You don't have to remember anything. You just click "view my posts"! IT'S
TAILOR MADE FOR THE LAZY. :)

Pitting usenet groups vs. web forums against each other is sort of like
"preferring" a screwdriver to a hammer. They're both just different
discussion tools. Use them.

This ng died when the web became prevalent. The average joe new collector
has no reason to undergo the slightly additional effort learn about Usenet
(well... maybe for binaries if they wanted). But anyway, that's just the way
it goes.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:43:51 AM

In article <h9udnazMtPyBYYffRVn-vw@comcast.com>,
"Room88" <Yenc@power-post.org> wrote:

> This ng died when the web became prevalent. The average joe new collector
> has no reason to undergo the slightly additional effort learn about Usenet
> (well... maybe for binaries if they wanted). But anyway, that's just the way
> it goes.

OK, so this brings out what some long timers liked about the newsgroups
vs. web groups. Some of us date back to the daze of the computer BBS
systems. Back in the day, when 1200 baud was high speed, and Z-Modem
was the newest thing for resumable downloads if your kid brother or
sister picked up the phone while you were downloading a game.

Newsgroup posts were the internet's next best thing to the old BBS
forums. No web based group I have seen comes close to the look and feel
of an old BBS with ASCII text. Yahoo Groups in the mail box will all of
a day's posts in a particular forum compiled as a single e-mail is kinda
like some WWIV/Hermes based boards to a vague degree, but reading
newsgroups with a text only newsreader is the closest to that old look
and feel.

And most of the kids of those days are adults who have moved on to other
interests and obligations, and kids today are weaned on the web out of
the shoot.

jt
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:16:45 PM

In article <QPWdnVAQoq9K0YjfRVn-1w@csinet.net>,
"VastFear" <vastfear@csinet.net> wrote:

> But the forums are so spread out they have a group for every subject. One
> would have to spend all day just to read the latest threads....... and is it
> me? (being an old school web design guy) or is PHP generic and loads bad...
> I think websites should visual not same PHP template look everytime...

The problem I have is with the "new messages" markers in those PHP
boards. If you idle for fifteen minutes while reading a particularly
long thread, BOOM all your new messages pointers are gone. With Usenet,
your newsreader (with the help of your server providing unique message
numbers) keeps track of exactly which ones you've read and haven't read.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:54:31 AM

Looks like I started posting in '95 and trailed off a few years later,
fwiw, and was surprised to come to this thread and only see about four
names I recognized right off. It is kinda sad.

If I had to guess, the explosion of the group happened due to the fact
that most schmoes of about the right age to be nostalgic about the 2600
and other 'real' classic consoles hit college about the same time
usenet was starting to be a force. There really wasn't any better
place than usenet to talk about classic consoles -- nor any eBay to
sell them. ASCII auctions were a pretty fun draw, imo.

Of course that generation has slowly had other priorities crop up --
the end of school, jobs, families. We've also found other outlets for
nostalgic gaming. Heck, in 95 the only emu for the 2600 on the Mac was
from the Activision Action Pack, and you had to hack it in a hex editor
to get in a new game. Now we can play 2600 games on our Gameboys, much
less our PCs. And, thirdly and finally, usenet is getting less
popular, which is a real shame. Tin still does a much better job of
communicating than, say, the AtariAge discussion boards, but the
learning curve for tin is quite a bit higher than a message board in
your browser. Daggummit, kids these days just don't know what they're
missing by not Kermit-ing into a VAX machine from home.

Anyhow, that's my off the cuff guess for why rgvc isn't quite what it
used to be. I wish it weren't so.

Ruffin Bailey
!