Windows XP keeps restarting - error unknown

August 17, 2005 1:42:03 AM

For the last week or so, Windows XP keeps going so far through the boot up
sequence and then failing. For a split second I can see the blue screen of
death which then disappears, computer reboots and I get options for safe
mode, restart windows etc. I can think of nothing I have done recently to
cause such a problem. When I have managed to get into windows I've done
virus check, adware check etc. but no suspects have been found.

I can boot into safe mode, but next time I try again I get the same problem.
After anything between 4 and a couple of dozen times windows finally boots.

Any ideas? I can't see anything applicable in Microsoft support that sheds
any light.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:42:04 AM

Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery - Settings
button > System Failure - Automatically restart - remove checkmark.

Post back with number (begins with 0x000...) and name (LOOKS_LIKE_THIS) of
error.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Tone" <anthony@mcallister5145REMOVE.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D dtj18$v3j$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> For the last week or so, Windows XP keeps going so far through the boot up
> sequence and then failing. For a split second I can see the blue screen of
> death which then disappears, computer reboots and I get options for safe
> mode, restart windows etc. I can think of nothing I have done recently to
> cause such a problem. When I have managed to get into windows I've done
> virus check, adware check etc. but no suspects have been found.
>
> I can boot into safe mode, but next time I try again I get the same
problem.
> After anything between 4 and a couple of dozen times windows finally
boots.

> Any ideas? I can't see anything applicable in Microsoft support that sheds
> any light.

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:26:27 AM

Ted,

Thanks, problem has not gone away, but at least I can see the error message
now. It is Bad_Pool_Caller and the number is 0x0000007E (0x0000005,
0x8054A832, 0xF7C823B8, 0xF7C820B4) I hope that means something.

Tony

> Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery - Settings
> button > System Failure - Automatically restart - remove checkmark.
>
> Post back with number (begins with 0x000...) and name (LOOKS_LIKE_THIS) of
> error.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "Tone" <anthony@mcallister5145REMOVE.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D dtj18$v3j$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > For the last week or so, Windows XP keeps going so far through the boot
up
> > sequence and then failing. For a split second I can see the blue screen
of
> > death which then disappears, computer reboots and I get options for safe
> > mode, restart windows etc. I can think of nothing I have done recently
> > cause such a problem. When I have managed to get into windows I've done
> > virus check, adware check etc. but no suspects have been found.
> >
> > I can boot into safe mode, but next time I try again I get the same
> problem.
> > After anything between 4 and a couple of dozen times windows finally
> boots.
> >
> > Any ideas? I can't see anything applicable in Microsoft support that
sheds
> > any light.

August 18, 2005 12:26:28 AM

Sure does.

Information on STOP code 0x7E:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7e

--

news:D e02vg$h56$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Ted,
>
> Thanks, problem has not gone away, but at least I can see the error
message
> now. It is Bad_Pool_Caller and the number is 0x0000007E (0x0000005,
> 0x8054A832, 0xF7C823B8, 0xF7C820B4) I hope that means something.
>
> Tony

> > Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery - Settings
> > button > System Failure - Automatically restart - remove checkmark.
> >
> > Post back with number (begins with 0x000...) and name (LOOKS_LIKE_THIS)
of
> > error.
> >
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> > "You can do it if you try."
> >
> > "Tone" <anthony@mcallister5145REMOVE.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:D dtj18$v3j$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > > For the last week or so, Windows XP keeps going so far through the
boot
> up
> > > sequence and then failing. For a split second I can see the blue
screen
> of
> > > death which then disappears, computer reboots and I get options for
safe
> > > mode, restart windows etc. I can think of nothing I have done recently
> > > cause such a problem. When I have managed to get into windows I've
done
> > > virus check, adware check etc. but no suspects have been found.
> > >
> > > I can boot into safe mode, but next time I try again I get the same
> > problem.
> > > After anything between 4 and a couple of dozen times windows finally
> > boots.
> > >
> > > Any ideas? I can't see anything applicable in Microsoft support that
> sheds
> > > any light.

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:43:44 PM

Ted, thank you for your help. I followed the instructions and fingers
crossed the problem is solved.

Thanks again,

Tony

!