Power Options Will Not Save

I have a laptop T42p that will no longer hibernate when I close the
lid.

In my Power Options of the control panel there is an advanced tab with
a section for Power Buttons. When I select the hibernate options for
the option labeled "When I close the lid of my portable comuter" and
click apply and close I reopen the Power Options only to find that the
setting did not save.

What is going wrong here?
7 answers Last reply
More about power options save

    "ChiliYago" <tim@theodells.org> wrote in message
    >I have a laptop T42p that will no longer hibernate when I close the
    > lid.
    >
    > In my Power Options of the control panel there is an advanced tab with
    > a section for Power Buttons. When I select the hibernate options for
    > the option labeled "When I close the lid of my portable comuter" and
    > click apply and close I reopen the Power Options only to find that the
    > setting did not save.
    >
    > What is going wrong here?

    I would think this *may* be a write permission problem in the registry. If
    you have XP Pro, navigate to this location in the registry

    HKCU\Control Panel\PowerCfg

    Right-click on PowerCfg and choose Permissions. Give your self full control
    for this key and as well as the sub keys.

    If you have XP Home, logged into your system in Safe Mode and perform the
    same operation as above.

    --
    William

    When doing this I see that I do have Full Control but the check boxes
    in that column are disabled. Only selecting user "Restricted" enables
    the "Full Control" check box.

    > When doing this I see that I do have Full Control but the check boxes
    > in that column are disabled. Only selecting user "Restricted" enables
    > the "Full Control" check box.

    Is there an account called SYSTEM. If not add the SYSTEM account. The SYSTEM
    account should have full control as well. Also check the sub keys like

    HKCU\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies
    HKCU\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\0
    HKCU\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\1

    and so on.

    --
    William

    Yeah, I have full control over these keys but still am not able to set
    this thing to hibernate.
    Thanks for the effort though.

    > Yeah, I have full control over these keys but still am not able to set
    > this thing to hibernate.
    > Thanks for the effort though.

    I do not know if this will help or not, locate "powercfg.cpl" and
    "powercfg.exe" in the c:\windows\system32 directory and check if you have
    full control and the SYSTEM has full control.

    Can you save any settings in the Power Control Panel? Or just the
    Hibernation one?

    You could also try to copy the two mentioned files from
    c:\windows\system32\dllcache or c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386, if
    present, to c:\windows\system32.

    --
    William

    I found this article and am currently looking into seeing if this
    solves it.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328345

    >I found this article and am currently looking into seeing if this
    > solves it.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328345

    Thanks for the info, hope it works out for you.

    Good Luck.

    --
    William

Hibernate Power Windows XP