Have a DOS batch job I want to schedule to run daily on my WinXP Machine.
Is using the Scheduled Tasks icon in the Control Panel the best way to do
this. Going through the wizard it asked for program to run, should I select
"Command Prompt", then customize it to access my batch file? Not sure if
that is the best way to do this. Thanks for any help.

"Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message
> Have a DOS batch job I want to schedule to run daily on my WinXP Machine.
> Is using the Scheduled Tasks icon in the Control Panel the best way to do
> this. Going through the wizard it asked for program to run, should I
> select "Command Prompt", then customize it to access my batch file? Not
> sure if that is the best way to do this. Thanks for any help.

When you are in the Task folder, perform a right-click within the folder and
choose NEW > Schedule Task. This will not present you with the wizard. When
the new task is added, then you will need to customize the newly created
schedule task.

--
William

Al Franz wrote:
> Have a DOS batch job I want to schedule to run daily on my
> WinXP Machine. Is using the Scheduled Tasks icon in the
> Control Panel the best way to do this. Going through the
> wizard it asked for program to run, should I select "Command
> Prompt", then customize it to access my batch file? Not
> sure if that is the best way to do this. Thanks for any
> help.

Run the Scheduled Task Wizard in Control Panel. When you're
asked which program to run, click on the Browse button.
Navigate to the location of your batch file. That's what you
want to run, not the command prompt. Next, set up your schedule
to fit your needs. Finally, enter a user name and password.
Keep in mind that, by default, a scheduled task will not run
under an account that has a blank password:

Scheduled Tasks cannot run with a blank password
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310715

You can get around this restriction by following the procedure
outlined on this web site:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm

Scroll down to the "Scheduled Tasks - Applying/Running tasks
without a password" section.

Keep in mind that using this workaround decreases the overall
security of your computer. It's my opinion that every user
account should have a password.

Good luck

Nepatsfan