2 operating systems installed... help please

I am trying to fix my computer... first there are to copies of "Windows XP
Professional" installed on it... i want to know how to get rid of one...
however i would prefer to know how to reformat the entire drive to have
nothing on the computer and the I can do a fresh install of the operating
system... another problem she has is that she can not adjust the "screen
resolution"... she is stuck at 640x480.... she also cannot adjust the "color
quality" which is set to "medium 16"... any help would be appreciated....
4 answers Last reply
More about operating systems installed please

    "jaescotia" <jaescotia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to fix my computer... first there are to copies of "Windows XP
    > Professional" installed on it... i want to know how to get rid of one...
    > however i would prefer to know how to reformat the entire drive to have
    > nothing on the computer and the I can do a fresh install of the operating
    > system... another problem she has is that she can not adjust the "screen
    > resolution"... she is stuck at 640x480.... she also cannot adjust the
    > "color
    > quality" which is set to "medium 16"... any help would be appreciated....

    Follow the instructions on this page to perform a clean install.

    Also for your display problem, you probably haven't installed the video
    adapter drivers. You can download the drivers from the video adapter
    manufacture if it is not integrated into the motherboard. If the adapter is
    integrated in the board, download the video adapter from the manufacture of
    your motherboard or computer manufacturer.

    --
    William

    You need to have the Windows XP disc and a working CD key (usually found on
    the case of most brand name computers).

    Pop that disc in and restart. The BIOS should load the CD first. While
    starting up, look for a prompt to 'Hit any key to boot from CD'. Do so, and
    you will be in the installer. At first its a blue screen. Just follow the
    directions, and when it asks what partition you would like to install on,
    make sure all other partitions are going to be deleted so that your left with
    one big 'unpartitioned' partition. You will install windows there. Once the
    blue screen is done and it makes you restart, make sure to take out the disc!

    From there, you will be led onto the other part of the install, which is
    also pretty straightforward. just read the directions. Somewhere here, it
    will ask for that CD key I was talking about.

    Next, once you are up and running, you are going to have to get new video
    drivers. If you know the card in the system, just go to that company's
    respective website and download the latest drivers. If you dont know the
    card, goto the computer manufactures website. Most companies will already
    know the specs of your system and will point you to the right driver.

    Once you've downloaded the right driver, install it and restart. All should
    be good from there.
    --
    To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.

    "jaescotia" wrote:

    > I am trying to fix my computer... first there are to copies of "Windows XP
    > Professional" installed on it... i want to know how to get rid of one...
    > however i would prefer to know how to reformat the entire drive to have
    > nothing on the computer and the I can do a fresh install of the operating
    > system... another problem she has is that she can not adjust the "screen
    > resolution"... she is stuck at 640x480.... she also cannot adjust the "color
    > quality" which is set to "medium 16"... any help would be appreciated....

    It is 3am now so I am going to try it tomorrow... thank you very much for
    such a quick reply...

    As for the screen resolution: You need to install the correct video card
    drivers that you download from the video card maker's web site. The video
    card drivers that are delivered with XP are LIMITED.

    "jaescotia" <jaescotia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to fix my computer... first there are to copies of "Windows XP
    > Professional" installed on it... i want to know how to get rid of one...
    > however i would prefer to know how to reformat the entire drive to have
    > nothing on the computer and the I can do a fresh install of the operating
    > system... another problem she has is that she can not adjust the "screen
    > resolution"... she is stuck at 640x480.... she also cannot adjust the
    > "color
    > quality" which is set to "medium 16"... any help would be appreciated....

Windows XP