Windows Messenger Spying

I loaded the latest version of Zone Alarm & since then have received several
warnings - "Windows Messenger is trying to monitor your mouse movements and
keyboard strokes".
Is that a normal function of Messenger that Microsoft don't advertise or the
latest trendy virus that NAV isn't telling me about?
3 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger spying

    "Zilva Zanga" wrote...

    >I loaded the latest version of Zone Alarm & since then have received
    >several warnings - "Windows Messenger is trying to monitor your mouse
    >movements and keyboard strokes".
    > Is that a normal function of Messenger that Microsoft don't advertise or
    > the latest trendy virus that NAV isn't telling me about?

    I've also upgraded to the latest ZoneAlarm Pro and have seen the same ZA
    warning with Messenger and some other very obvious non-spyware items. My
    guess is that ZA is being a bit overcautious and flagging safe programs. I
    hope someone with more info responds as well.

    Craig

    Zilva,

    Try here:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=win_za_msgs&message.id=9957#M9957

    One of the contributer says:

    Quote:
    "It just means that MSN is sort of trying to "see" your typing etc. This
    warning alerts users to possible keyloggers. Not all programs that have this
    alert are keyloggers though. You can expect ZA to display this alert for
    messeging programs but they are not keyloggers. However if you see a unknown
    program with that type of alert, it most likely is a keylogger."

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Zilva,
    >
    > Try here:
    > http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=win_za_msgs&message.id=9957#M9957
    >
    > One of the contributer says:
    >
    > Quote:
    > "It just means that MSN is sort of trying to "see" your typing etc. This
    > warning alerts users to possible keyloggers. Not all programs that have
    > this alert are keyloggers though. You can expect ZA to display this alert
    > for messeging programs but they are not keyloggers. However if you see a
    > unknown program with that type of alert, it most likely is a keylogger."
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Zilva Zanga" <mercury@solar.sys.invalid> wrote in message
    >>I loaded the latest version of Zone Alarm & since then have received
    >>several warnings - "Windows Messenger is trying to monitor your mouse
    >>movements and keyboard strokes".
    >> Is that a normal function of Messenger that Microsoft don't advertise or
    >> the latest trendy virus that NAV isn't telling me about?

    Thanks for the research.

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP