lindows is bad

neCroManCer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I was try Lindows in few weeks ago. Lindows I was try is version 0.99 (may be it is the old version). My HD’s size is 40 GBs and was partitioned to be 6 partition. And I provide 2 partition for Linux installation: 1st is the Linux Ext2fs file system and 2nd is the Linuxswap.
Next, I try to install the Lindows via CD (I get the CD from my friend). In the advance installation mode, he offers to install the Lindows to which drive/partition. Becoz I was provide a partition for installing Linux (Linux ext2fs file system). So I choose that Linux-Ext2fs partition for the destination. After installation success, he is booted my computer. And next, the Lindows was first loaded. From here, I feel little panic, becoz the Lindows automatically loaded. In the other hand, my Windows just not loaded anymore. In a while, I think Lindows just haven’t LILO. So I just calm myself.
After Lindows succesfully loaded. I try to open other partition via explorer. I try access it by typing /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, ... But the command is not responded by Lindows. I panic, and I restart my computer. I try booting from startup disk Windows 98. After the DOS successfully loaded, I survey to other partition by typing C:, D:, ... Anymore the command is not responsible. So the conclusion is the Lindows was formatting my HD and destroying the data.
Fortunately, I was recovered my HD data by using my friend’s computer. He has a 80 GBs HD and 256 MB DDRRAM. I start to recover my HD using HD recovery utility. But the data placed on first cluster until few clusters next is cannt to be recovered. Becoz it was overwritten by Lindows.
I don’t know why the Lindows just overwrite my HD’s structure (like formatting action). I think, I was choose the right choice in the installation process. Before Lindows installation started, I was recheck any probability of missunderstanding. And I stil sure if the installation will be Ok.
Are the Lindows stil cannt dual-booted with other OS, like Windows? Are I have a mistake in installatin? Any comment?

Sorry about bad in English.
And about bad narrated story.
It’s just mistakes in communication. Becoz I cann’t speaking English well.

Thanks,
neCroManCer

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
I have no experience with Lindows so I can not say how Lindows configures itself. However, Mandrake, SUSE, Red Hat etc. all install and play nicely with Windows. Maybe you could try one of these?

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

neCroManCer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I just ask to you (or other members)! How about DEBIAN distro? I hear from my senior in Graduated school (I only K12 student), if DEBIAN have a nice compatibilities than others!!!

Thanks for your response!

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Sure, Debian is MY favorite distro, but it's not as up-to-date as many of the other distros. It's also marginally harder to configure, but should not pose any serious problems. If you want to try Debian you've got my support.

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like a knock to me :p

My new gentoo install is finally up and running, but gnome freezes on login now... ah well.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
w00t! I fixed it!

(had to enable agpgart in kernel compile, and then reinstall atidrivers)

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Well, if I said much harder to configure, I would have nothing left for slack or gentoo :).

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Speaking of which... :)

No one knows how to get my SB Live! 5.1 digital out working do they? OSS or ALSA? compile sound support into kernel, as a module, or not at all?

I did the sound support into the kernel with emu10k1 as a module, then loaded the drivers. The sound appears to work with alsa as I get the bars moving on alsa mixer, but I don't have analog speakers, so I couldn't test it. I heard OSS was better anyways, so I downloaded the source, but it said to recompile my kernel WITHOUT sound support or drivers to get it in there, and then??? Re-install my drivers? I dunno.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
The info on the Alsa site didn't mention 5.1 not working, so maybe that's the way to go. I'd imagine #alsa on irc would know. Alsa is muted by default, so you'd have to work through the mixer and find the one that unmutes it, I guess. Not sure if you need any special switches to make 5.1 Digital work, but there must be something written somewhere about it...

4Front OSS might be worth a crack, but last time I tried it, you just had to get the OSS hooks there, but not compile-in anything.

BTW, I read that Dell SB Live 5.1 and maybe SB Live 5.1 OEM cards don't work with Alsa. Seems you'd need OSS for that one.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>