Power Options in WinXP-Home

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Under Windows XP - Home...what are the best options for Power Saving
features?

I've been told not to use these features at all because it causes wear and
tear and doesn't save much in electricity, and I've also been told I should
use these features! I've heard it both ways from Compaq/HP and Gateway. I
have a Compaq notebook and a Gateway desktop.

What does everyone suggest?

Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

You have unknowingly stepped into one of the longest running
arguments-for-which-there-is-no-correct-answer in the history of personal
computing: whether or not to leave the computer running all the time or turn
it off when not needed. People argue passionately on both sides, but there
is no right answer.

The power savings options were designed for laptops, which typically run on
batteries. Here you want to conserve battery power, and the Power Options
applet lets you choose how to do so. There are no "best options" - it's a
matter of preference, based on the way you use the laptop and how strong
your battery is.

For desktops, which don't run off batteries, the settings for Power Options
are strictly a matter of convenience.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Michael Wright" <mjsjwright@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Under Windows XP - Home...what are the best options for Power Saving
> features?
>
> I've been told not to use these features at all because it causes wear and
> tear and doesn't save much in electricity, and I've also been told I
should
> use these features! I've heard it both ways from Compaq/HP and Gateway.
> have a Compaq notebook and a Gateway desktop.
>
> What does everyone suggest?
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

The only power option that I use is: turn off monitor after xxx... I run
my system remotely and need to connect, from time to time.