Video Card Recomendations Please

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I'm looking to spend between 100-200 on a video card for my new system (AthlonXP 1600+). I'd like to have some sort of video input and output, and was Debating between an ATI Radeon Card, or some Nvidia based card. For the Nvidia, I was looking at the Asus v7700 Delux.

I'm worried about performance from a Radeon card vs an Nvidia card, as I have seen some reviews that have them lagging behind. How is a Radeon All-in-Wonder or Vivo compaired to a Geforce2 GTS, Pro, Ti, or Ultra, or even a Geforce3 Ti-200? Should I wait for some new the Geforce Titanium cards to come out in a month?

Thanks for your oppinions.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bront on 10/16/01 09:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

My question is what quality do you expect/Need to get from this video capture integrated option ?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Well, it's mostly for just some relitively pasive things. Nothing fancy. It might be nice to be able to route an external video source through the computer. I'm more examining the option.

So, if I do, want some video input, what is my best option, and if I don't what is my best option? Is a Radeaon card a good alternitive to any Geforce card if I don't need video input?

My current system is an Athlon 750 with a Geforce 2 MX card. I'm sure with the AthlonXP 1600+, pretty much anything on that level or better will get me good performance. I'm just looking for a good bang for the buck, prefferably with some nice video input features.

xrazorx

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2001
Go for the ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder. This a great gaming card and the best VIVO card out there not to mention the integrated TV tuner, TiVo, and digital VCR functions. It'll still play games great and you won't miss that GeForce3 Ti500 one bit (unless your super hard-core). Plus, for $143 price watch, you can't go wrong.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
That's what I decided to go with. I get all the video input and output features I could ever want, and performance isn't that much of an issue, as it's about the same speed as my Geforce2 MX, but will be on a faster machine. As a reviewer on this site said, there is more performance in video cards out there than anyone needs. I don't need anything to run at 90+ FPS, so I'll go with the extra features over a speed upgrade at this point.

Thanks for the advice.