UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error

Tags:
  • Windows XP
August 17, 2005 12:58:27 PM

When I reboot my computer, Windows XP Professional will not open. I have
attempted starting it in Safe mode, etc with no success. Almost as soon as
the windows load screen pops up, a blue screen error UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME
appears....the message hints that the cause could be newly installed
hardware. What follows is a brief story of what I did immediately before
experiencing this problem.

I recently moved to Chicago and have been attempting to setup my cable
internet service. I began by inserting the diskette that came with the
cable modem, but could not establish a connection. Upon further examination,
I realized that a cable from the modem to the CPU (square cable to USB) was
not connected. Since my computer only has 4 USB ports (all used), I removed
the keyboard and attepted proceed with the new hardware installation. This
of course was a problem since I had unplugged the keyboard.

Since my limited number of USB ports was obviously a problem, I got
sidetracked and began trying to get the USB ports on my monitor to work
(there are 4 unused ones there also). At this point I connected a square to
USB cable from the monitor to the CPU. The monitor USB ports were not
working, so I restarted the computer. I then began experiencing the
previously mentioned problem.

Someone please help me!

More about : unmountable boot volume error

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 9:09:51 PM

Hi

Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - right hand column
(ED)

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"John Goetz" <John Goetz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I reboot my computer, Windows XP Professional will not open. I have
> attempted starting it in Safe mode, etc with no success. Almost as soon
> as
> the windows load screen pops up, a blue screen error UNMOUNTABLE BOOT
> VOLUME
> appears....the message hints that the cause could be newly installed
> hardware. What follows is a brief story of what I did immediately before
> experiencing this problem.
>
> I recently moved to Chicago and have been attempting to setup my cable
> internet service. I began by inserting the diskette that came with the
> cable modem, but could not establish a connection. Upon further
> examination,
> I realized that a cable from the modem to the CPU (square cable to USB)
> was
> not connected. Since my computer only has 4 USB ports (all used), I
> removed
> the keyboard and attepted proceed with the new hardware installation.
> This
> of course was a problem since I had unplugged the keyboard.
>
> Since my limited number of USB ports was obviously a problem, I got
> sidetracked and began trying to get the USB ports on my monitor to work
> (there are 4 unused ones there also). At this point I connected a square
> USB cable from the monitor to the CPU. The monitor USB ports were not
> working, so I restarted the computer. I then began experiencing the
> previously mentioned problem.
>
> Someone please help me!
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:48:23 PM

"John Goetz" <John Goetz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I reboot my computer, Windows XP Professional will not open. I have
>attempted starting it in Safe mode, etc with no success. Almost as soon as
>the windows load screen pops up, a blue screen error UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME
>appears....the message hints that the cause could be newly installed
>hardware. What follows is a brief story of what I did immediately before
>experiencing this problem.
>
>I recently moved to Chicago and have been attempting to setup my cable
>internet service. I began by inserting the diskette that came with the
>cable modem, but could not establish a connection. Upon further examination,
>I realized that a cable from the modem to the CPU (square cable to USB) was
>not connected. Since my computer only has 4 USB ports (all used), I removed
>the keyboard and attepted proceed with the new hardware installation. This
>of course was a problem since I had unplugged the keyboard.
>
>Since my limited number of USB ports was obviously a problem, I got
>sidetracked and began trying to get the USB ports on my monitor to work
>(there are 4 unused ones there also). At this point I connected a square to
>USB cable from the monitor to the CPU. The monitor USB ports were not
>working, so I restarted the computer. I then began experiencing the
>previously mentioned problem.
>
>Someone please help me!

If you have a Windows XP installation CD boot your computer with that
and choose the Repair (Recovery Console) option.

When the computer has finished booting and stops at the command prompt
enter the following command:

CHKDSK C: /R

If your Windows XP is on a System Recovery disk or on a hidden
partition on the hard drive then booting to Recovery Console may not
be available to you. In that case, assuming your computer has a 3.5
diskette drive, go to http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=310994 and
create a bootable diskette set. Boot your computer with these
diskettes and then enter the above command,

If your computer does not have a 3.5 diskette drive then go to
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ and follow the instructions there to
create a bootable CD. Boot with that, open a command prompt Window,
and enter the above command.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--