shorty

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002

Hello all, I hope youn can help.

I am running Windows XP with SP 2 and when I try to load certain software
that use to run on an older PC with 98 SE I get a message saying

16 bit windows subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT\. The system file is not suitable for
running MS_DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close@ to
terminate the application. What does this mean and is there a way round this
as some of the software used to load and work okay on this PC but has been
uninstalled but cannot now ne installed. This happens with a number of
software packages.

Regards

Jeff

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Shorty" <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all, I hope youn can help.
>
> I am running Windows XP with SP 2 and when I try to load certain software
> that use to run on an older PC with 98 SE I get a message saying
>
> 16 bit windows subsystem
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT\. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS_DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close@ to
> terminate the application. What does this mean and is there a way round
> this
> as some of the software used to load and work okay on this PC but has been
> uninstalled but cannot now ne installed. This happens with a number of
> software packages.
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff

shorty

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002

Thanks Will

I printed of the instructions however when the DOS prompts appears I am
still in documents and settings\jeff and which drive letter should it be and
do I have to put expand in front of the drive letter.

When done I get syntax error.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following article helps:
>
> "Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
> program"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Shorty" <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all, I hope youn can help.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP with SP 2 and when I try to load certain software
> > that use to run on an older PC with 98 SE I get a message saying
> >
> > 16 bit windows subsystem
> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT\. The system file is not suitable for
> > running MS_DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close@ to
> > terminate the application. What does this mean and is there a way round
> > this
> > as some of the software used to load and work okay on this PC but has been
> > uninstalled but cannot now ne installed. This happens with a number of
> > software packages.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Jeff

Hi

Try copying the autoexec.nt file from the windows\repair folder to the
windows\system32 folder.

--

> Thanks Will
>
> I printed of the instructions however when the DOS prompts appears I am
> still in documents and settings\jeff and which drive letter should it be
> and
> do I have to put expand in front of the drive letter.
>
> When done I get syntax error.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please see if the following article helps:
>>
>> "Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
>> Windows-based
>> program"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Shorty" <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all, I hope youn can help.
>> >
>> > I am running Windows XP with SP 2 and when I try to load certain
>> > software
>> > that use to run on an older PC with 98 SE I get a message saying
>> >
>> > 16 bit windows subsystem
>> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT\. The system file is not suitable for
>> > running MS_DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close@ to
>> > terminate the application. What does this mean and is there a way round
>> > this
>> > as some of the software used to load and work okay on this PC but has
>> > been
>> > uninstalled but cannot now ne installed. This happens with a number of
>> > software packages.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Jeff

shorty

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002

How can I do that please

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Try copying the autoexec.nt file from the windows\repair folder to the
> windows\system32 folder.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Shorty" <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Will
> >
> > I printed of the instructions however when the DOS prompts appears I am
> > still in documents and settings\jeff and which drive letter should it be
> > and
> > do I have to put expand in front of the drive letter.
> >
> > When done I get syntax error.
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Please see if the following article helps:
> >>
> >> "Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
> >> Windows-based
> >> program"
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "Shorty" <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi

Type or copy/paste the following from a command prompt:

copy %systemroot%\repair\autoexec.nt %systemroot%\system32

--

> How can I do that please
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Try copying the autoexec.nt file from the windows\repair folder to the
>> windows\system32 folder.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Shorty" <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Will
>> >
>> > I printed of the instructions however when the DOS prompts appears I am
>> > still in documents and settings\jeff and which drive letter should it
>> > be
>> > and
>> > do I have to put expand in front of the drive letter.
>> >
>> > When done I get syntax error.

shorty

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002

Hi again Will

I have tired that and I get put to the wndows internet page that states does
not recognise that file.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Type or copy/paste the following from a command prompt:
>
> copy %systemroot%\repair\autoexec.nt %systemroot%\system32
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Shorty" <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How can I do that please
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Try copying the autoexec.nt file from the windows\repair folder to the
> >> windows\system32 folder.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "Shorty" <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi

You can get to a command prompt by typing

cmd

from Start>Run. Then run the command I posted.

--

> Hi again Will
>
> I have tired that and I get put to the wndows internet page that states
> does
> not recognise that file.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Type or copy/paste the following from a command prompt:
>>
>> copy %systemroot%\repair\autoexec.nt %systemroot%\system32
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups