MS Downloads of Dell Graphics Drivers?

Boy am I confused.

Hi,
I saw the MS yellow shield which indicated an MS download is awaiting.
I clicked on it and a large gray dialog box asked if I wish to download
DELL graphics drivers.

I clicked YES and waited a second or two and then received a dialog box
that advised the downloads could NOT be done...no explanation!!

What gives. I removed all programs that were running in the back ground
before I tried the downloads.

Mike
79 answers Last reply
More about downloads dell graphics drivers

    <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Boy am I confused.
    >
    > Hi,
    > I saw the MS yellow shield which indicated an MS download is awaiting.
    > I clicked on it and a large gray dialog box asked if I wish to download
    > DELL graphics drivers.
    >
    > I clicked YES and waited a second or two and then received a dialog box
    > that advised the downloads could NOT be done...no explanation!!
    >
    > What gives. I removed all programs that were running in the back ground
    > before I tried the downloads.
    >
    > Mike

    You should never download MS drivers for your hardware. Always use those
    supplied by the manufacturer (Dell). The MS drivers are not the same as
    those supplied by Dell, and may degrade the performance of your computer.

    Bobby

    The drivers supplied by Microsoft are from the hardware manufacturer, Dell
    in this case.
    The manufacturer pays to verify a driver meets standards and at that point
    Microsoft distributes the driver.

    Otherwise you are correct, it is always best to get drivers directly from
    the manufacturer and not from Microsoft.
    If Windows Update shows a driver as a Driver Update, check the driver at the
    manufacturers website and determine if you need it.
    If a driver is a Critical Update, there is a reason the manufacturer and
    Microsoft have made that determination.
    Still go to the manufacturer but in this case, you should strongly consider
    the newer driver from the manufacturer.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    news:io3qe.23851> You should never download MS drivers for your hardware.

    > <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Boy am I confused.
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > > I saw the MS yellow shield which indicated an MS download is awaiting.
    > > I clicked on it and a large gray dialog box asked if I wish to download
    > > DELL graphics drivers.
    > >
    > > I clicked YES and waited a second or two and then received a dialog box
    > > that advised the downloads could NOT be done...no explanation!!
    > >
    > > What gives. I removed all programs that were running in the back ground
    > > before I tried the downloads.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > You should never download MS drivers for your hardware.

    Wrong, always use drivers recommended by MS Update -after- you've updated
    to the latest Dell stuff.

    > Always use those
    > supplied by the manufacturer (Dell).

    First but not only. HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some point
    and often that's before MS does.

    > The MS drivers are not the same as
    > those supplied by Dell, and may degrade the performance of your computer.

    Nonsense.

    "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote in message

    > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_bsledge@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Boy am I confused.
    >> >
    >> > Hi,
    >> > I saw the MS yellow shield which indicated an MS download is awaiting.
    >> > I clicked on it and a large gray dialog box asked if I wish to download
    >> > DELL graphics drivers.
    >> >
    >> > I clicked YES and waited a second or two and then received a dialog box
    >> > that advised the downloads could NOT be done...no explanation!!
    >> >
    >> > What gives. I removed all programs that were running in the back ground
    >> > before I tried the downloads.
    >> >
    >> > Mike
    >> >
    >> You should never download MS drivers for your hardware.
    >
    > Wrong, always use drivers recommended by MS Update -after- you've updated
    > to the latest Dell stuff.
    >
    >> Always use those
    >> supplied by the manufacturer (Dell).
    >
    > First but not only. HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some
    > point
    > and often that's before MS does.
    >
    >> The MS drivers are not the same as
    >> those supplied by Dell, and may degrade the performance of your computer.
    >
    > Nonsense.

    >Okay, for the benefit of the group, here is the "real deal"

    Microsoft offer basic driver sets for popular hardware. This is for the
    benefit of enterprise level hardware on which manufacturers "extended"
    drivers are not needed. While some of these drivers are supplied by the
    manufacturers themselves, quite often they are generic non-OEm drivers
    developed by Microsoft. In general terms, these drivers are baseline
    drivers, intended for installation on mission hardware with a minimum
    footprint and still provide functionality.
    They are not and never have been recommended as replacements or enhancements
    to the manufacturers drivers designed for consumer machines.
    A simple experiment will demonstrate this;

    1. Download the latest driver posted at Dell; save it on your HDD but don't
    install it.
    2. Download the "same" driver form the Microsoft website. Save it to your
    HDD and don't install it.

    Now, simply compare the file sizes.

    Hmmm....

    Bobby

    There's no set formula whether drivers from Microsoft or Dell are better. I've
    had drivers from the Microsoft update site hose up a system, so they should
    NEVER be characterized as perfection. Name brand manufacturers tend to lag way
    behind in providing updated drivers, because all they really care about is
    selling new systems, not supporting existing ones.

    The bottom line is that very few desktop and server systems use customized
    chipsets, and drivers are tightly tied to the chipset. (Way back when computers
    cost thousands of dollars, Compaq and others imposed on chipset manufacturers to
    make some chips a little different. Once Compaq found out the high cost of
    supporting custom chipsets, it then began using standard ones across the
    board(s). )

    Me? I almost routinely go to the web site of the chipset or motherboard
    manufacturer. For example, the drivers from the Intel web site are just fine
    for motherboard chipsets and built-in Intel "extreme graphics". The chipset
    manufacturer does all the work to correct driver defects, then issues copies to
    Micro$oft and the name brand manufacturers and/or board manufacturers. So if
    you want the latest, go to the website of the chipset manufacturer... Ben Myers

    > "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_bsledge@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > >> You should never download MS drivers for your hardware.
    > >
    > > Wrong, always use drivers recommended by MS Update -after- you've
    updated
    > > to the latest Dell stuff.
    > >
    > >> Always use those
    > >> supplied by the manufacturer (Dell).
    > >
    > > First but not only. HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some
    > > point
    > > and often that's before MS does.
    > >
    > >> The MS drivers are not the same as
    > >> those supplied by Dell, and may degrade the performance of your
    computer.

    > > Nonsense.
    >

    > >Okay, for the benefit of the group, here is the "real deal"
    >
    > Microsoft offer basic driver sets for popular hardware. This is for the
    > benefit of enterprise level hardware on which manufacturers "extended"
    > drivers are not needed. While some of these drivers are supplied by the
    > manufacturers themselves, quite often they are generic non-OEm drivers
    > developed by Microsoft. In general terms, these drivers are baseline
    > drivers, intended for installation on mission hardware with a minimum
    > footprint and still provide functionality.

    If there's any content to that gibber it's hard to find.

    > They are not and never have been recommended as replacements or
    enhancements
    > to the manufacturers drivers designed for consumer machines.
    > A simple experiment will demonstrate this;
    >
    > 1. Download the latest driver posted at Dell; save it on your HDD but
    don't
    > install it.
    > 2. Download the "same" driver form the Microsoft website. Save it to your
    > HDD and don't install it.
    >
    > Now, simply compare the file sizes.
    >
    > Hmmm....

    WOW, do you have any clue regarding these matters? You must claim that the
    color of the website banner come into this somewhere?

    > WOW, do you have any clue regarding these matters? You must claim that
    > the
    > color of the website banner come into this somewhere?

    you are ignornat.

    I agree with the otherguy ... never install device drivers via windows
    update. They are the baseline reference drivers, not the preferred OEM
    drivers. They are there largely, as the other guy said, to get basic
    plug-n-play support for devices until you can install the current OEM
    drivers for the devices.

    Just 2 days ago, I accidently downloaded a CMedia sound driver via windows
    update. My board has an nForce 2 chipset, so its an nVidia audio chip.
    Windows update mis-identified my hardware. the driver that was downloaded
    and installed stopped the sound from working AT ALL. I had to do a driver
    rollback to get my sound back.

    That is just 1 instance, and over the years there have been many others.

    On the servers I manage, there are often new Intel, HP, Emulex, etc drivers
    available, and I would get fired if I ever let WU install those.

    Moral of the story ... DO NOT USE WU FOR DEVICE DRIVER INSTALLS. EVER.
    PERIOD.

    have a nice day

    > There's no set formula whether drivers from Microsoft or Dell are better.
    I've
    > had drivers from the Microsoft update site hose up a system, so they
    should
    > NEVER be characterized as perfection. Name brand manufacturers tend to
    lag way
    > behind in providing updated drivers, because all they really care about is
    > selling new systems, not supporting existing ones.
    >
    > The bottom line is that very few desktop and server systems use customized
    > chipsets, and drivers are tightly tied to the chipset. (Way back when
    computers
    > cost thousands of dollars, Compaq and others imposed on chipset
    manufacturers to
    > make some chips a little different. Once Compaq found out the high cost
    of
    > supporting custom chipsets, it then began using standard ones across the
    > board(s). )
    >
    > Me? I almost routinely go to the web site of the chipset or motherboard
    > manufacturer. For example, the drivers from the Intel web site are just
    fine
    > for motherboard chipsets and built-in Intel "extreme graphics". The
    chipset
    > manufacturer does all the work to correct driver defects, then issues
    copies to
    > Micro$oft and the name brand manufacturers and/or board manufacturers. So
    if
    > you want the latest, go to the website of the chipset manufacturer... Ben
    Myers

    Probably true for the chipset driver and display drivers but then that
    wasn't the issue at hand was it.

    > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_bsledge@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_bsledge@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message

    > awaiting.
    > download

    > box

    > ground

    >> > Wrong, always use drivers recommended by MS Update -after- you've
    > updated
    >> > to the latest Dell stuff.

    >> > First but not only. HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some
    >> > point
    >> > and often that's before MS does.

    > computer.
    >> >
    >> > Nonsense.
    >>

    >> >Okay, for the benefit of the group, here is the "real deal"
    >>
    >> Microsoft offer basic driver sets for popular hardware. This is for the
    >> benefit of enterprise level hardware on which manufacturers "extended"
    >> drivers are not needed. While some of these drivers are supplied by the
    >> manufacturers themselves, quite often they are generic non-OEm drivers
    >> developed by Microsoft. In general terms, these drivers are baseline
    >> drivers, intended for installation on mission hardware with a minimum
    >> footprint and still provide functionality.
    >
    > If there's any content to that gibber it's hard to find.
    >
    >> They are not and never have been recommended as replacements or
    > enhancements
    >> to the manufacturers drivers designed for consumer machines.
    >> A simple experiment will demonstrate this;
    >>
    >> 1. Download the latest driver posted at Dell; save it on your HDD but
    > don't
    >> install it.
    >> 2. Download the "same" driver form the Microsoft website. Save it to
    >> your
    >> HDD and don't install it.
    >>
    >> Now, simply compare the file sizes.
    >>
    >> Hmmm....
    >
    > WOW, do you have any clue regarding these matters? You must claim that
    > the
    > color of the website banner come into this somewhere?

    The only thing worse than someone who cannot admit he's wrong is someone who
    is clueless calling someone else clueless.

    Bobby

    fred wrote:
    > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_bsledge@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >
    >><axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Boy am I confused.
    >>>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>I saw the MS yellow shield which indicated an MS download is awaiting.
    >>>I clicked on it and a large gray dialog box asked if I wish to download
    >>> DELL graphics drivers.
    >>>
    >>>I clicked YES and waited a second or two and then received a dialog box
    >>>that advised the downloads could NOT be done...no explanation!!
    >>>
    >>>What gives. I removed all programs that were running in the back ground
    >>>before I tried the downloads.
    >>>
    >>>Mike
    >>>

    >>You should never download MS drivers for your hardware.
    >

    > Wrong, always use drivers recommended by MS Update -after- you've updated
    > to the latest Dell stuff.
    >

    >>Always use those
    >>supplied by the manufacturer (Dell).
    >

    > First but not only. HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some point
    > and often that's before MS does.
    >

    >> The MS drivers are not the same as
    >>those supplied by Dell, and may degrade the performance of your computer.
    >

    > Nonsense.

    As others have said, you are incorrect. For example, on my desktop I
    have an ATI card and Windows Update wants me to use the update published
    in February of this year over the Catalyst driver published today
    (6/9/05) by ATI, themselves. I agree that in the very long run, when
    OEM's stop providing drivers for products that have reached their
    end-of-life periods, you ought to use ones put out by MS. However, in
    the case of products who are still supported by their producers, it's in
    your best interest to use OEM publishers latest drivers.

    "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

    > > WOW, do you have any clue regarding these matters? You must claim that
    > > the
    > > color of the website banner come into this somewhere?
    > >

    > you are ignornat.
    >
    > I agree with the otherguy ... never install device drivers via windows
    > update. They are the baseline reference drivers, not the preferred OEM
    > drivers. They are there largely, as the other guy said, to get basic
    > plug-n-play support for devices until you can install the current OEM
    > drivers for the devices.

    Get a clue. What I said and is the standard procedure for the competent is
    to download and install the latest from the system mfg and/or component mfg.
    THEN if Windows Update still offers a driver for the gadget then by all
    means download and install MS's version.

    > Just 2 days ago, I accidently downloaded a CMedia sound driver via windows
    > update. My board has an nForce 2 chipset, so its an nVidia audio chip.
    > Windows update mis-identified my hardware. the driver that was downloaded
    > and installed stopped the sound from working AT ALL. I had to do a driver
    > rollback to get my sound back.
    >
    > That is just 1 instance, and over the years there have been many others.
    >
    > On the servers I manage, there are often new Intel, HP, Emulex, etc
    drivers
    > available, and I would get fired if I ever let WU install those.
    >
    > Moral of the story ... DO NOT USE WU FOR DEVICE DRIVER INSTALLS. EVER.
    > PERIOD.

    A moral from the clueless.

    "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > fred wrote:
    > > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_bsledge@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >><axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > >>You should never download MS drivers for your hardware.
    > >

    > > Wrong, always use drivers recommended by MS Update -after- you've
    updated
    > > to the latest Dell stuff.
    > >

    > >>Always use those
    > >>supplied by the manufacturer (Dell).
    > >

    > > First but not only. HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some
    point
    > > and often that's before MS does.
    > >

    > >> The MS drivers are not the same as
    > >>those supplied by Dell, and may degrade the performance of your
    computer.

    > > Nonsense.
    > >

    > As others have said, you are incorrect. For example, on my desktop I
    > have an ATI card and Windows Update wants me to use the update published
    > in February of this year over the Catalyst driver published today
    > (6/9/05) by ATI, themselves. I agree that in the very long run, when
    > OEM's stop providing drivers for products that have reached their
    > end-of-life periods, you ought to use ones put out by MS. However, in
    > the case of products who are still supported by their producers, it's in
    > your best interest to use OEM publishers latest drivers.

    Right, usually Windows Update stops offering a driver if the one on the
    system is newer than MS's. I wonder what's happening there?

    > "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
    >>

    >> > WOW, do you have any clue regarding these matters? You must claim
    >> > that
    >> > the
    >> > color of the website banner come into this somewhere?
    >> >

    >> you are ignornat.
    >>
    >> I agree with the otherguy ... never install device drivers via windows
    >> update. They are the baseline reference drivers, not the preferred OEM
    >> drivers. They are there largely, as the other guy said, to get basic
    >> plug-n-play support for devices until you can install the current OEM
    >> drivers for the devices.
    >
    > Get a clue. What I said and is the standard procedure for the competent
    > is
    > to download and install the latest from the system mfg and/or component
    > mfg.
    > THEN if Windows Update still offers a driver for the gadget then by all
    > means download and install MS's version.
    >
    >> Just 2 days ago, I accidently downloaded a CMedia sound driver via
    >> windows
    >> update. My board has an nForce 2 chipset, so its an nVidia audio chip.
    >> Windows update mis-identified my hardware. the driver that was downloaded
    >> and installed stopped the sound from working AT ALL. I had to do a driver
    >> rollback to get my sound back.
    >>
    >> That is just 1 instance, and over the years there have been many others.
    >>
    >> On the servers I manage, there are often new Intel, HP, Emulex, etc
    > drivers
    >> available, and I would get fired if I ever let WU install those.
    >>
    >> Moral of the story ... DO NOT USE WU FOR DEVICE DRIVER INSTALLS. EVER.
    >> PERIOD.
    >
    > A moral from the clueless.

    ATI has just released the Catalyst 5.6 drivers for their video cards. S.
    you are telling me that I should install these drivers (released yesterday),
    and then go and download the driver "update" on Windows update that was
    released over 4 months ago?

    You are the clueless one.

    Since you cannot mount a defense for the drivel you are spewing, perhaps it
    is time for *YOU* to realize that when one makes a mistake and is not
    willing to admit it, it might be better to simply STFU.

    You continue to show your complete ignorance of the relevant facts here.

    Welcome to the killfile.

    Bobby

    > Welcome to the killfile.
    >
    > Bobby

    agreed. He made my killfile filter as well

    axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:
    >Boy am I confused.

    Yeah, it's confusing. I've had some bad results with WinUp
    mis-identifying hardware and loading drivers that cause it to stop
    functioning, so I'm wareful of device drivers from M$. IMHO, the
    order of precedence is:

    Drivers from the device manufacturer (Intel, ATI, nVidia, etc). These
    will almost universally be the latest and greatest drivers, with all
    the current performance enhancements and bugfixes.

    Drivers from the computer manufacturer (Dell, etc). These are
    nessesary in some cases, where the device manufacturer's generic
    drivers aren't applicable to your custom hardware. For instance,
    laptop video drivers are in this category.

    Drivers from MicroSoft. These aren't always evil, BTW, I've had M$
    drivers automatically discover what type of video card I have and
    install a functional (if not optimal) set of drivers, so I can then
    know what vendor to check for the latest drivers. However, they
    should be either a last resort or a preliminary diagnostic tool.

    | > Microsoft offer basic driver sets for popular hardware. This is for the
    | > benefit of enterprise level hardware on which manufacturers "extended"
    | > drivers are not needed. While some of these drivers are supplied by the
    | > manufacturers themselves, quite often they are generic non-OEm drivers
    | > developed by Microsoft. In general terms, these drivers are baseline
    | > drivers, intended for installation on mission hardware with a minimum
    | > footprint and still provide functionality.
    |
    | If there's any content to that gibber it's hard to find.
    |
    | > They are not and never have been recommended as replacements or
    | enhancements
    | > to the manufacturers drivers designed for consumer machines.
    | > A simple experiment will demonstrate this;
    | >
    | > 1. Download the latest driver posted at Dell; save it on your HDD but
    | don't
    | > install it.
    | > 2. Download the "same" driver form the Microsoft website. Save it to
    your
    | > HDD and don't install it.
    | >
    | > Now, simply compare the file sizes.
    | >
    | > Hmmm....
    |
    | WOW, do you have any clue regarding these matters? You must claim that
    the
    | color of the website banner come into this somewhere?

    Fred,

    Baddog is exactly correct and seems to know (on this topic at least :-)
    exactly what he's talking about.

    Downloading device drivers from WUD is a bad idea. Spend a little time in
    the Microsoft Public Newsgroups and you'll find that even Microsoft MVPs
    recommend obtaining drivers from the manufacturer of the device as opposed
    to WUD.

    As baddog correctly stated the drivers offered @ WUD basic functionality
    generally are missing extended functions that the manufacturers driver
    provide.

    A frequent thread in the MS Newsgroups goes something like;

    "I just downloaded a driver from Windows Update and now my
    (fill-in-the-blank) doesn't work anymore."

    The response is invariably, "don't get your drivers from Windows Update. Go
    to the manufacturers support site for your computer/device and obtain as
    driver there."

    --
    Doug

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> writes:
    >Baddog is exactly correct and seems to know (on this topic at least :-)
    >exactly what he's talking about.

    >Downloading device drivers from WUD is a bad idea. Spend a little time in
    >the Microsoft Public Newsgroups and you'll find that even Microsoft MVPs
    >recommend obtaining drivers from the manufacturer of the device as opposed
    >to WUD.

    Since it seems that everyone agrees with this, even those who many think
    don't have a clue and the Microsoft approved MVP's...

    WHY does Microsoft still provide this universally agreed bad feature?

    Equally true for network cards, audio cards, and just about any other hardware
    you will find in a computer... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:51:56 GMT, "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:

    >> There's no set formula whether drivers from Microsoft or Dell are better.
    >I've
    >> had drivers from the Microsoft update site hose up a system, so they
    >should
    >> NEVER be characterized as perfection. Name brand manufacturers tend to
    >lag way
    >> behind in providing updated drivers, because all they really care about is
    >> selling new systems, not supporting existing ones.
    >>
    >> The bottom line is that very few desktop and server systems use customized
    >> chipsets, and drivers are tightly tied to the chipset. (Way back when
    >computers
    >> cost thousands of dollars, Compaq and others imposed on chipset
    >manufacturers to
    >> make some chips a little different. Once Compaq found out the high cost
    >of
    >> supporting custom chipsets, it then began using standard ones across the
    >> board(s). )
    >>
    >> Me? I almost routinely go to the web site of the chipset or motherboard
    >> manufacturer. For example, the drivers from the Intel web site are just
    >fine
    >> for motherboard chipsets and built-in Intel "extreme graphics". The
    >chipset
    >> manufacturer does all the work to correct driver defects, then issues
    >copies to
    >> Micro$oft and the name brand manufacturers and/or board manufacturers. So
    >if
    >> you want the latest, go to the website of the chipset manufacturer... Ben
    >Myers
    >
    >Probably true for the chipset driver and display drivers but then that
    >wasn't the issue at hand was it.

    What's happening is that you can't trust Microsoft's update to always do the
    right thing. This has always been the case. As with anything else Microsoft
    touches, they have made software updates so damned complicated that they confuse
    themselves... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:52:51 GMT, "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:

    >"Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> fred wrote:
    >> > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_bsledge@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message

    >> > Wrong, always use drivers recommended by MS Update -after- you've
    >updated
    >> > to the latest Dell stuff.

    >> > First but not only. HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some
    >point
    >> > and often that's before MS does.

    >computer.
    >> >

    >> > Nonsense.
    >> >

    >> As others have said, you are incorrect. For example, on my desktop I
    >> have an ATI card and Windows Update wants me to use the update published
    >> in February of this year over the Catalyst driver published today
    >> (6/9/05) by ATI, themselves. I agree that in the very long run, when
    >> OEM's stop providing drivers for products that have reached their
    >> end-of-life periods, you ought to use ones put out by MS. However, in
    >> the case of products who are still supported by their producers, it's in
    >> your best interest to use OEM publishers latest drivers.
    >
    >Right, usually Windows Update stops offering a driver if the one on the
    >system is newer than MS's. I wonder what's happening there?

    " HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some point and often that's
    before MS does." Huh? This gives me the impression that Microsoft has a whole
    bunch of worker bees scrutinizing the drivers and fixing them up. And we are
    supposed to think that Microsoft is so gracious and caring that they would do
    this? Sure! I'd like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge while we're at it, too.

    First, to get hardware device drivers onto the Windows installation CD and or to
    get the latest versions of drivers onto the Microsoft update site, the chipset
    developers (e.g, Intel and VIA for motherboards; Intel, ATI and nVidia for
    graphics; Intel, 3com, Realtek for network cards; Conexant and PCTel for modems;
    Creative and ADI for audio) first pay Microsoft for the privilege of including
    the drivers on the install CD, then they pay to have each edition of drivers
    tested in Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL), and they probably
    pay by the megabyte for space on the update web site. WHQL DOES run some
    pretty extensive tests on the drivers before they are affixed with an electronic
    WHQL certificate and made available as updates.

    Why are updates even done by the hardware manufacturers? Three reasons. The
    one most people should be concerned about is to fix defects. The next is to fix
    glaring performance problems, such as those revealed recently by a 3rd party
    company testing network drivers. The third, usually the case for ATI, nVidia
    and Intel, is to incorporate new hardware into an omnibus driver, i.e. a single
    driver set that supports a wide variety of chips. Examples are Intel's
    800-series motherboard chipsets and nVidia's family of graphics chips.

    Many hardware manufacturers, especially those of low-volume devices such as
    scanners and special purpose printers, often do not submit their drivers to WHQL
    because it is too expensive to do so.

    Hardware manufacturers often augment their driver sets with additional
    utilities, which you will not find on the Microsoft update site. Examples might
    be better fine-tuning of graphics capabilities (ATI, nVidia, Matrox) and
    additional audio features (ADI and Creative).

    Now where is it that the supposed Microsoft hardware driver developers enter
    into play in the above scenario??? ... Ben Myers

    "Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message
    > "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> writes:
    >>Baddog is exactly correct and seems to know (on this topic at least :-)
    >>exactly what he's talking about.
    >
    >>Downloading device drivers from WUD is a bad idea. Spend a little time in
    >>the Microsoft Public Newsgroups and you'll find that even Microsoft MVPs
    >>recommend obtaining drivers from the manufacturer of the device as opposed
    >>to WUD.
    >
    > Since it seems that everyone agrees with this, even those who many think
    > don't have a clue and the Microsoft approved MVP's...
    >
    > WHY does Microsoft still provide this universally agreed bad feature?

    As explained earlier in the thread.

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > What's happening is that you can't trust Microsoft's update to always do the
    > right thing. This has always been the case. As with anything else Microsoft
    > touches, they have made software updates so damned complicated that they confuse
    > themselves... Ben Myers

    Beyond that, it's in MS's best interest to only push updates that will
    support the lowest common denominator of hardware. If an older update
    supports more hardware at a slight cost of performance, the'll go that
    route every time.

    "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:SHkqe.2059$bv7.672@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> What's happening is that you can't trust Microsoft's update to always do the
    >> right thing. This has always been the case. As with anything else Microsoft
    >> touches, they have made software updates so damned complicated that they confuse
    >> themselves... Ben Myers
    >>
    > Beyond that, it's in MS's best interest to only push updates that will
    > support the lowest common denominator of hardware. If an older update
    > supports more hardware at a slight cost of performance, the'll go that
    > route every time.

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/maintain/DrvUpdate.mspx

    Apparently the local NG thugs have a reading impairment. I said from the
    getgo that one should get their drivers from the mfg IF current. If WinUp
    has a more recent driver then use the one from WinUp.

    Is there anyone here with a clue? Go read what the experts in the
    microsoft.* NGs have to say in more detail. You'll get an education.

    > What's happening is that you can't trust Microsoft's update to always do
    the
    > right thing. This has always been the case. As with anything else
    Microsoft
    > touches, they have made software updates so damned complicated that they
    confuse
    > themselves... Ben Myers

    The competence level and political bent is finally exposed. Most folks want
    good PC advice absent any non-technical agenda.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > " HW mfgs stop providing new fixes/versions at some point and often that's
    > before MS does." Huh? This gives me the impression that Microsoft has a
    whole
    > bunch of worker bees scrutinizing the drivers and fixing them up.

    And that's excatly what MS has for certain stability, security etc.
    purposes.

    > And we are
    > supposed to think that Microsoft is so gracious and caring that they would
    do
    > this? Sure! I'd like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge while we're at it, too.

    Apparently you already did.

    > First, to get hardware device drivers onto the Windows installation CD and
    or to
    > get the latest versions of drivers onto the Microsoft update site, the
    chipset
    > developers (e.g, Intel and VIA for motherboards; Intel, ATI and nVidia for
    > graphics; Intel, 3com, Realtek for network cards; Conexant and PCTel for
    modems;
    > Creative and ADI for audio) first pay Microsoft for the privilege of
    including
    > the drivers on the install CD, then they pay to have each edition of
    drivers
    > tested in Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL), and they
    probably
    > pay by the megabyte for space on the update web site. WHQL DOES run some
    > pretty extensive tests on the drivers before they are affixed with an
    electronic
    > WHQL certificate and made available as updates.

    What a horrible nasty thing for MS to do to it's customer base.

    > Why are updates even done by the hardware manufacturers? Three reasons.
    The
    > one most people should be concerned about is to fix defects. The next is
    to fix
    > glaring performance problems, such as those revealed recently by a 3rd
    party
    > company testing network drivers. The third, usually the case for ATI,
    nVidia
    > and Intel, is to incorporate new hardware into an omnibus driver, i.e. a
    single
    > driver set that supports a wide variety of chips. Examples are Intel's
    > 800-series motherboard chipsets and nVidia's family of graphics chips.
    >
    > Many hardware manufacturers, especially those of low-volume devices such
    as
    > scanners and special purpose printers, often do not submit their drivers
    to WHQL
    > because it is too expensive to do so.
    >
    > Hardware manufacturers often augment their driver sets with additional
    > utilities, which you will not find on the Microsoft update site.

    OH so you mean size isn't important but what about the color of the banner
    on their website?

    > Examples might
    > be better fine-tuning of graphics capabilities (ATI, nVidia, Matrox) and
    > additional audio features (ADI and Creative).
    >
    > Now where is it that the supposed Microsoft hardware driver developers
    enter
    > into play in the above scenario??? ... Ben Myers

    DUH...outside your narrow view and agenda.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    > axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >Boy am I confused.
    >
    > Yeah, it's confusing. I've had some bad results with WinUp
    > mis-identifying hardware and loading drivers that cause it to stop
    > functioning, so I'm wareful of device drivers from M$. IMHO, the
    > order of precedence is:
    >
    > Drivers from the device manufacturer (Intel, ATI, nVidia, etc). These
    > will almost universally be the latest and greatest drivers, with all
    > the current performance enhancements and bugfixes.
    >
    > Drivers from the computer manufacturer (Dell, etc). These are
    > nessesary in some cases, where the device manufacturer's generic
    > drivers aren't applicable to your custom hardware. For instance,
    > laptop video drivers are in this category.
    >
    > Drivers from MicroSoft. These aren't always evil, BTW, I've had M$
    > drivers automatically discover what type of video card I have and
    > install a functional (if not optimal) set of drivers, so I can then
    > know what vendor to check for the latest drivers. However, they
    > should be either a last resort or a preliminary diagnostic tool.

    How wonderful that there is actually someone here with a clue.

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    The real mystery here (IMO), is why the Intel video driver suddenly
    went from being an optional update to a critical update. I'm assuming it
    was a glitch on Microsoft's part. I also let Automatic Updates install this
    driver, not knowing what it was until later. As far as I can tell, nothing
    has been changed on my computer. I already had the latest Intel driver
    installed. So I assume if Automatic Updates tried to install an older one,
    XP would have prevented this.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message
    > "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> writes:
    > >Baddog is exactly correct and seems to know (on this topic at least :-)
    > >exactly what he's talking about.
    >
    > >Downloading device drivers from WUD is a bad idea. Spend a little time in
    > >the Microsoft Public Newsgroups and you'll find that even Microsoft MVPs
    > >recommend obtaining drivers from the manufacturer of the device as
    opposed
    > >to WUD.
    >
    > Since it seems that everyone agrees with this, even those who many think
    > don't have a clue and the Microsoft approved MVP's...

    NOPE...only the clueless.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Oh? Are you a Micro$oft troll? I'm actually pretty competent at what I do,
    otherwise I would be out of business. After nearly 20 years, I have learned not
    to swallow the Microsoft propaganda, exactly like I do not accept 100% of what
    any government says as the whole truth. Microsoft has a long history of
    building software that is just about as complicated as it can be, going back as
    far as the Windows 1.03 seminar I attended somewhere around 1986. As other
    people posting to this thread have stated and as people posting to the various
    Microsoft self-help NGs have stated, the Microsoft update does not always work,
    and, worse yet, it does not give enough information to figure out why. This is
    only stating the facts. It may be construed as political in a national climate
    where the facts and non-facts are often interchanged with politics and science.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:31:41 GMT, "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:

    >> What's happening is that you can't trust Microsoft's update to always do
    >the
    >> right thing. This has always been the case. As with anything else
    >Microsoft
    >> touches, they have made software updates so damned complicated that they
    >confuse
    >> themselves... Ben Myers
    >
    >The competence level and political bent is finally exposed. Most folks want
    >good PC advice absent any non-technical agenda.

  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    An on point example of what I was referring to just posted in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    Hi There

    I was wondering if you could help me with the follow please?

    I regularly run Windows Update on my PC and recently was told that I have a
    sound card update.

    I ran the update, C-Media AC97 Audio Device appeared so installed it and
    then restarted the PC as per the instructions.

    Now I have lost all sound on my PC, I have the above with a question mark
    next to it and also when I try to select the details via the control panel,
    it states I don't have a sound card installed.

    If I restore the PC to an earlier date, the sound comes back.

    Does anyone else have the same problem or suggest how I could fix this?

    Thank you
    Jason :o)

    Answers:

    Experienced users will *never* install driver updates offered at Windows
    Update.

    You can go to Windows Update > select Custom Install > select "Hide this
    update" for this driver.

    You can configure Automatic Updates to (1) automatically download updates
    but not install them or (2) just notify you of available updates, allowing
    you to select ones to download and install.

    How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Hi, Jason. This is the reason why it is never a good idea to install
    drivers from Windows Update. Set your Automatic Updates to always
    notify you before installing updates. Then always choose the "Custom"
    installation instead of the "Express". This will give you the ability
    to see what the updates are and to deselect any that are for drivers.
    Unless you are a gamer trying to squeeze every last frame-rate out of
    your video card or are having problems with a device, the best policy
    with updating drivers is: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". And if you
    *do* need to update a driver, get it from either the device mftr.'s
    website or if you have an OEM computer (Dell, HP, Sony, etc.) from the
    OEM's website for your specific model machine.

    Of course you want to install the security updates from Windows Update;
    just not the drivers.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    And that is where you are wrong. If the OEM has drivers available, *DO NOT*
    use the updates on MSU. You seriously need to understand that you are
    *WRONG*.
    No amount of reposting your claim will make it correct.

    Bobby

    > Apparently the local NG thugs have a reading impairment. I said from the
    > getgo that one should get their drivers from the mfg IF current. If WinUp
    > has a more recent driver then use the one from WinUp.
    >
    > Is there anyone here with a clue? Go read what the experts in the
    > microsoft.* NGs have to say in more detail. You'll get an education.
    >
    > "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > the
    >> "extended"
    > the
    >> drivers
    >> |
    >> | If there's any content to that gibber it's hard to find.

    >> | enhancements

    >> | don't
    >> your

    >> | WOW, do you have any clue regarding these matters? You must claim
    >> that
    >> the
    >> | color of the website banner come into this somewhere?
    >> |

    >> Fred,
    >>
    >> Baddog is exactly correct and seems to know (on this topic at least :-)
    >> exactly what he's talking about.
    >>
    >> Downloading device drivers from WUD is a bad idea. Spend a little time in
    >> the Microsoft Public Newsgroups and you'll find that even Microsoft MVPs
    >> recommend obtaining drivers from the manufacturer of the device as
    >> opposed
    >> to WUD.
    >>
    >> As baddog correctly stated the drivers offered @ WUD basic functionality
    >> generally are missing extended functions that the manufacturers driver
    >> provide.
    >>
    >> A frequent thread in the MS Newsgroups goes something like;
    >>
    >> "I just downloaded a driver from Windows Update and now my
    >> (fill-in-the-blank) doesn't work anymore."
    >>
    >> The response is invariably, "don't get your drivers from Windows Update.
    > Go
    >> to the manufacturers support site for your computer/device and obtain as
    >> driver there."
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug
    >>
    >> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    >> I was just trying to help.
    >> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    >> advice herein.
    >> No warranty is expressed or implied.
    >> Your mileage may vary.
    >> See store for details. :)
    >>
    >> Remove shoes to E-mail.

  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Wacko!

    > And that is where you are wrong. If the OEM has drivers available, *DO
    NOT*
    > use the updates on MSU. You seriously need to understand that you are
    > *WRONG*.
    > No amount of reposting your claim will make it correct.
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote in message
    > > Apparently the local NG thugs have a reading impairment. I said from
    the
    > > getgo that one should get their drivers from the mfg IF current. If
    WinUp
    > > has a more recent driver then use the one from WinUp.
    > >
    > > Is there anyone here with a clue? Go read what the experts in the
    > > microsoft.* NGs have to say in more detail. You'll get an education.
    > >
    > > "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > the
    > >> "extended"
    > > the
    > >> drivers

    > >> your

    > >> that
    > >> the
    > >> |

    > >> Fred,
    > >>
    > >> Baddog is exactly correct and seems to know (on this topic at least :-)
    > >> exactly what he's talking about.
    > >>
    > >> Downloading device drivers from WUD is a bad idea. Spend a little time
    in
    > >> the Microsoft Public Newsgroups and you'll find that even Microsoft
    MVPs
    > >> recommend obtaining drivers from the manufacturer of the device as
    > >> opposed
    > >> to WUD.
    > >>
    > >> As baddog correctly stated the drivers offered @ WUD basic
    functionality
    > >> generally are missing extended functions that the manufacturers driver
    > >> provide.
    > >>
    > >> A frequent thread in the MS Newsgroups goes something like;
    > >>
    > >> "I just downloaded a driver from Windows Update and now my
    > >> (fill-in-the-blank) doesn't work anymore."
    > >>
    > >> The response is invariably, "don't get your drivers from Windows
    Update.
    > > Go
    > >> to the manufacturers support site for your computer/device and obtain
    as
    > >> driver there."
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Doug
    > >>
    > >> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > >> I was just trying to help.
    > >> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions
    or
    > >> advice herein.
    > >> No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > >> Your mileage may vary.
    > >> See store for details. :)
    > >>
    > >> Remove shoes to E-mail.

  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "History Fan" <Placesunknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
    > The real mystery here (IMO), is why the Intel video driver suddenly
    > went from being an optional update to a critical update. I'm assuming it
    > was a glitch on Microsoft's part. I also let Automatic Updates install
    this
    > driver, not knowing what it was until later. As far as I can tell,
    nothing
    > has been changed on my computer. I already had the latest Intel driver
    > installed. So I assume if Automatic Updates tried to install an older
    one,
    > XP would have prevented this.

    Enabling Automatic Updates is an essential part of MS's security initiative.
    Most all folks should enable Automatic Updates except for a few insecure
    sysadmins who now spend most their time doing manual WinUp for folks.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Many large corporate IT organizations with tens of thousands of computers and
    home-grown apps would take strong exception to the use of automatic updates.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:48:56 GMT, "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:

    >"History Fan" <Placesunknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
    >> The real mystery here (IMO), is why the Intel video driver suddenly
    >> went from being an optional update to a critical update. I'm assuming it
    >> was a glitch on Microsoft's part. I also let Automatic Updates install
    >this
    >> driver, not knowing what it was until later. As far as I can tell,
    >nothing
    >> has been changed on my computer. I already had the latest Intel driver
    >> installed. So I assume if Automatic Updates tried to install an older
    >one,
    >> XP would have prevented this.
    >
    >Enabling Automatic Updates is an essential part of MS's security initiative.
    >Most all folks should enable Automatic Updates except for a few insecure
    >sysadmins who now spend most their time doing manual WinUp for folks.

  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Many large corporate IT organizations with tens of thousands of computers
    and
    > home-grown apps would take strong exception to the use of automatic
    updates.

    Didn't I say that?

    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:48:56 GMT, "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:
    >

    > >"History Fan" <Placesunknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
    > >> The real mystery here (IMO), is why the Intel video driver
    suddenly
    > >> went from being an optional update to a critical update. I'm assuming
    it
    > >> was a glitch on Microsoft's part. I also let Automatic Updates install
    > >this
    > >> driver, not knowing what it was until later. As far as I can tell,
    > >nothing
    > >> has been changed on my computer. I already had the latest Intel driver
    > >> installed. So I assume if Automatic Updates tried to install an older
    > >one,
    > >> XP would have prevented this.
    > >
    > >Enabling Automatic Updates is an essential part of MS's security
    initiative.
    > >Most all folks should enable Automatic Updates except for a few insecure
    > >sysadmins who now spend most their time doing manual WinUp for folks.

  37. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    No. Large IT organizations invest in automated tools to distribute updates
    appropriately. They're smart enough and insecure enough to select which of the
    M$ updates are required and distribute them automagically... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 02:10:48 GMT, "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:

    >> Many large corporate IT organizations with tens of thousands of computers
    >and
    >> home-grown apps would take strong exception to the use of automatic
    >updates.
    >
    >Didn't I say that?
    >
    >> ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:48:56 GMT, "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"History Fan" <Placesunknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
    >suddenly
    >it
    >> >this
    >> >nothing
    >> >one,
    >> >
    >> >Enabling Automatic Updates is an essential part of MS's security
    >initiative.
    >> >Most all folks should enable Automatic Updates except for a few insecure
    >> >sysadmins who now spend most their time doing manual WinUp for folks.

  38. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    my company does not even ditribute virus updates without first testing
    them, just in case they cause a problem. We are just getting around to
    distributing SP2 to our desktops

    Wayne

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > No. Large IT organizations invest in automated tools to distribute
    > updates appropriately. They're smart enough and insecure enough to
    > select which of the M$ updates are required and distribute them
    > automagically... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 02:10:48 GMT, "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:
    >

    > ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > >> Many large corporate IT organizations with tens of thousands of
    > computers
    > > and
    > >> home-grown apps would take strong exception to the use of automatic
    > > updates.
    > >
    > > Didn't I say that?
    > >
    > >> ... Ben Myers

    > > suddenly
    > assuming
    > > it
    > install >> >this
    > tell, >> >nothing
    > Intel driver >> >> installed. So I assume if Automatic Updates tried
    > to install an older >> >one,

    > > initiative.
    > insecure >> >sysadmins who now spend most their time doing manual
    > WinUp for folks. >> >

  39. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Many large corporate IT organizations with tens of thousands of computers and
    > home-grown apps would take strong exception to the use of automatic updates.

    So do some computer savvy retired programmers with just a desktop & a
    notebook. One of the *last* things I would ever do is to enable MS to
    update my computer without any intervention from me. Seems a little like
    giving Tony Soprano access to my checking account.

    As always, YMMV

    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:48:56 GMT, "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:
    >

    >>"History Fan" <Placesunknown@unknown.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> The real mystery here (IMO), is why the Intel video driver suddenly
    >>>went from being an optional update to a critical update. I'm assuming it
    >>>was a glitch on Microsoft's part. I also let Automatic Updates install
    >>
    >>this
    >>
    >>>driver, not knowing what it was until later. As far as I can tell,
    >>
    >>nothing
    >>
    >>>has been changed on my computer. I already had the latest Intel driver
    >>>installed. So I assume if Automatic Updates tried to install an older
    >>
    >>one,
    >>
    >>>XP would have prevented this.
    >>
    >>Enabling Automatic Updates is an essential part of MS's security initiative.
    >>Most all folks should enable Automatic Updates except for a few insecure
    >>sysadmins who now spend most their time doing manual WinUp for folks.

  40. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:
    >Boy am I confused.

    Join the crowd. Here's an example for those still following this
    rather contentious thread:

    Client machine, Dell Dimension 8250. nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 graphics

    nVidia WWWebsite - V71.89 drivers (these are installed)
    Dell WWWebsite - V42.38 drivers
    WinUp - 52.16 in "High Priority Updates"

    Which one should I use and why, and how come WinUp is still
    complaining about wanting 52.16 when I have 71.89 installed, and why
    is a video driver a "High Priority Update"?
  41. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    > > Many large corporate IT organizations with tens of thousands of
    computers and
    > > home-grown apps would take strong exception to the use of automatic
    updates.

    > So do some computer savvy retired programmers with just a desktop & a
    > notebook. One of the *last* things I would ever do is to enable MS to
    > update my computer without any intervention from me. Seems a little like
    > giving Tony Soprano access to my checking account.

    How many infected bot PCs owned by the unaware are all over the Inet causing
    problems for everyone? The correct advice is that all should enable MS's
    Automatic Updates. That improves the general security environment for all.
    Any of you that end up with bot-s and disabled Automatic Updates shown be
    drawn and quartered.

    This kind of advice by alleged experts has been infecting the PC industry
    for years. Just recently a real expert at MS finally got in public view
    that one should write down their strong passwords and keep them in a
    convenient and modestly secure location. Not doing so simply results in
    weak and always the same passwords which is MUCH WORSE than the occasional
    exposure of the password note.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:
    >The correct advice is that all should enable MS's
    >Automatic Updates.

    Can't agree with you there, Fred. That advice would have resulted in
    about 10 percent of PCs becoming inoperative when XP SP2 came out.
    I've got lots of examples of WinUp getting things wrong, where blindly
    installing stuff breaks things.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >Boy am I confused.
    >
    > Join the crowd. Here's an example for those still following this
    > rather contentious thread:
    >
    > Client machine, Dell Dimension 8250. nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 graphics
    >
    > nVidia WWWebsite - V71.89 drivers (these are installed)
    > Dell WWWebsite - V42.38 drivers
    > WinUp - 52.16 in "High Priority Updates"

    Repost with release dates. Without them your post is meaningless.

    > Which one should I use and why, and how come WinUp is still
    > complaining about wanting 52.16 when I have 71.89 installed, and why
    > is a video driver a "High Priority Update"?

  44. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:
    ><William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    >> nVidia WWWebsite - V71.89 drivers (these are installed)
    >> Dell WWWebsite - V42.38 drivers
    >> WinUp - 52.16 in "High Priority Updates"

    >Repost with release dates. Without them your post is meaningless.

    nVidia's version numbers aren't monotonic and increasing by date?
  45. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Yes they are. He's just wrong.

    > "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:
    >><William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    >>> nVidia WWWebsite - V71.89 drivers (these are installed)
    >>> Dell WWWebsite - V42.38 drivers
    >>> WinUp - 52.16 in "High Priority Updates"
    >
    >>Repost with release dates. Without them your post is meaningless.
    >
    > nVidia's version numbers aren't monotonic and increasing by date?

  46. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:
    ><William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    >> nVidia WWWebsite - V71.89 drivers (these are installed)
    Version: 71.89
    Release Date: April 14, 2005
    WHQL Certified

    >> Dell WWWebsite - V42.38 drivers
    Release Date: 05/06/2003

    >> WinUp - 52.16 in "High Priority Updates"

    [Grrr, that machine is already in the 'return to client' pile, I'll
    haul it out and put it back on the bench later...]
    [Much later...]

    "Date last published: 8/2/2004"

    OK, now what?
  47. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Yes they are. He's just wrong.

    Without release dates they're meaningless.

    > <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Repost with release dates. Without them your post is meaningless.
    > >
    > > nVidia's version numbers aren't monotonic and increasing by date?

  48. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:
    > >The correct advice is that all should enable MS's
    > >Automatic Updates.
    >
    > Can't agree with you there, Fred. That advice would have resulted in
    > about 10 percent of PCs becoming inoperative when XP SP2 came out.

    Utter nonsense. Over 99% of folks installed SP2 with no significant
    problems.

    > I've got lots of examples of WinUp getting things wrong, where blindly
    > installing stuff breaks things.

    I'm sure that's true in the systems around you where good procedure is in
    doubt.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote:
    > ><William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    > >> nVidia WWWebsite - V71.89 drivers (these are installed)
    > >> Dell WWWebsite - V42.38 drivers
    > >> WinUp - 52.16 in "High Priority Updates"
    >
    > >Repost with release dates. Without them your post is meaningless.
    >
    > nVidia's version numbers aren't monotonic and increasing by date?

    Not relevant. Versions PLUS release dates are always needed.

Dell Drivers Dialog Graphics Computers