booting slackware without bootdisk

neCroManCer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I was succesfully installing the Slackware Linux on one of my partition (/dev/hda6). In /dev/hda1 (the primary partition) I have Windows98 installed. But why after I restarted my comp, the LILO is not appearing, like Linux story in many article. My Windows 98 booted up like usual.
In the installation of Slackware, I was skipping to make a bootdisk in 3,5 floppy. Becoz I think slackware can be booted up via LILO, like WinBI, the Indonesian Linux I was try before. In a WinBI, the LILO is displaying 2 option: DOS /or LINUX. If I choose DOS, the Windows 98 will booted. If I choose LINUX, my WinBI will booted.
Why my slackware can booted automatically (creating LILO automatically)? Are the bootdisk is very needed to booting the Slackware? How Slackware can booting without using bootdisk anymore, becoz I dislike with booting by 3,5 floppy, is was slow!

Thank you for attention,
neCroManCer

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Lilo has to be installed in the master boot record. otherwise you'll need to use a boot disk.

In your /etc/lilo.conf file you can define the various OS's you want to boot and run lilo after you save the file. This will install lilo in the master boot record.

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>