Disappointing Radeon 8500 Release

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Well... this is what I was waiting to see: whether or not ATI would banish their bad driver reputation on release or whether they would buckle under the same problem that has been plaguing them on and off for years.

They don't even have all the features enabled.... theoretical benchmarks are through the roof, but the actual benchmarks show massive driver problems. ATI has been holding off on their release for a while as we all know and impatiently waited through.... I almost believed they'd hit the ground running with some excellent, stable drivers but instead we see:

Problems with Athlon Systems
Windows XP Instability
No Smoothvision enabled
Severe performance problems in certain games

What the hell?! I was an ATI user years ago, but they lost me after numerous crap ass driver revisions that didn't fix problems and performed under par. ATI swore up and down they were gonna get it right this time, but instead we see a late release and drivers that are still immature. If ATI can fix their problems within the next month, I can see forgiving them.... but if they don't fix their drivers soon, I'm gonna be running back into the arms of Nvidia, whose drivers I know to be fast and stable.

This is not a troll post in any sense, and that is a remark for those hypocrites who call others zealots (*cough* RCF *cough) while they badmouth other companies. I'm just genuinely pissed off... I had already semi made up my mind to treat myself to a Radeon 8500 for christmas, and instead I see ATI's promises falling short yet again. Feel free to discuss in a civilized manner without resorting to name calling or troll like behavior :p

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
This why I am reluctant to buy Ati- teh drivers. There are just so many bugs I have heard of, and teh performance isn't justified. One would think that if a company spends $ on developing a vid card they would spend $ on good drivers!

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I'm like you, but I'm hoping by christmas they have the new drivers and all of the features working.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I cant wait til x-mas, Ive had $300 burning a hole in my pocket for 2 fricken months, I`ve lied in my bed at night drooling with anticipation, I`m in the best buy store everyday looking for the 8500 and now this [-peep-]. I`m buying friday, looks like the Ti 500 for me.

You`ll get nothing and like it.

G

so sad but true! And it isn't just ATI

Look at the whole KT266A fiasco

I have become such a cynic that I don't even bother gettin' excited about all the "it's gonna have..." it's gonna do..." hype from ANY manufacturer.

I say SHOW ME THE MONEY!

case in point, I am runnin an ABIT KG7-Raid that IS released and working. I am also running a 'sub-par' GeForce3... Heh

only their DREAMS work better... I see no hardware!

G

There has to be a reason for ATI's release like this...
Surely they've learned not to release cards with immature drivers.

I, for one, will still be buying one. Image quality rules, and I'd imagine that withing a few weeks ATI will have the driver act together.

<font color=blue>Jesus saves...</font color=blue><font color=red>and takes half damage!</font color=red>

G

I think you are right.

It might just be they are trying to let some of the Ti hype get exposed and then wow the market with a super product.

I wasn't trying to blast ATI, I think their board will be great, I was just trying to make the point that the manufacturer promises of release and function don't mean nearly as much as the products they put in our hands.

eden

Champion
Kinda like the Detonator Xp release, a blow into ATI like Tom said. But they came back with a near-powerful 8500 which is yet to be fully unlocked. I like ATI, they're good guys and originally Canadian, which I am proud of that. Although I never had driver probs with them when I was on a RagePro 8 meg, I found their updated driver excellent, which made it a Turbo one, much faster, and better frame rate.
Just wait, ATI knows its faults like Nvidia. I still am confused what to get... On one side the 8500 is better, but drivers are an issue. On the GF3 side, I get less performance but the Asus Deluxe gives me 3d glasses, which I hope to try. Plus drivers that are loaded with power. But at a price that isn't as attractive like Radeon 8500.
What to do...hmm...

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I thought I found this interesting comparing the same benchmark on two different reviews both at 1600x1200x32 done at Rage3d.com

<font color=blue>Originally posted by Furious

Of course I'm being fair.

Here's the facts.

<b><font color=red>Rivastation 7500 review:</b></font color=red>

Athlon 1.333 ghz
Drivers 7184
Win98SE

UT 1600X1200X32 score = <b><font color=red>83.63fps</b></font color=red>

<b><font color=red>Tom's review:</b></font color=red>

P4 2 ghz
Drivers 7189
WinME

UT 1600X1200X32 score = <b><font color=red>32 fps</b></font color=red>

Unless you can explain to me how this is possible I'd say something is VERY fishy here.

ATi must have really broken the 7189 drivers then. I'm using them but haven't noticed a problem. I don't play UT however.</font color=blue>
Still the difference between the same resolution and same 7500 appears to show a problem with one of the benchmarks. I will wait until I see further reviews done, with a more indebt and careful study of the Radeon 8500.