i'm running xp and when i started up today and tried to click on any
.exe files i get a dialog box asking me what program i would like to
use to open this file, a list of programs are on there and when i click
the right one i can get programs working, but it just won't remember, i
cannot get any .exe files to open. on top of that when i try to goto
set program access and defaults on the start menu it says 'control.exe
application not found'

i'm not big on using pc's so if this is a simple problem please excuse
me.

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

--
JasonFox

I understand you can go into Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, File
Types tab. Look for an entry for the EXE extension and delete it. That
should fix the problem.

"JasonFox" <JasonFox.1tx5q6@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> i'm running xp and when i started up today and tried to click on any
> exe files i get a dialog box asking me what program i would like to
> use to open this file, a list of programs are on there and when i click
> the right one i can get programs working, but it just won't remember, i
> cannot get any .exe files to open. on top of that when i try to goto
> set program access and defaults on the start menu it says 'control.exe
> application not found'
>
> i'm not big on using pc's so if this is a simple problem please excuse
> me.
>
> any help would be much appreciated
>
> thanks
>

> --
> JasonFox

Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox

The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry)
file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk
and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be
viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings for
the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG
file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!

EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User