Your question
Closed

Oops! Microsoft Loses All Sidekick Users' Data

Tags:
  • Backup
  • Microsoft
Last response: in News comments
October 12, 2009 3:36:49 PM

I don't have a Sidekick...but this is completely unacceptable. For whatever reason, people trust companies with their data, and this situation does quite a bit to undermine that.
Score
October 12, 2009 3:55:03 PM

There is no excuse for that. I'm sure lost of people lost their jobs because of this.

So what happens now? Are all sidekick phones dead, or is it just a clean slate?
Score
October 12, 2009 3:55:21 PM

Yet another reason why cloud computing is over-rated.
Score
October 12, 2009 3:56:17 PM

So do we need any other reason to NOT trust Clod Computing. I mean "Cloud" Computing?
Score
October 12, 2009 3:58:26 PM

I guess it must suck for those people who put their faith in Cloud Computing and Microsoft.
Score
October 12, 2009 3:59:09 PM

HAHA wow.That sucks for them I guess.Not making a backup is the biggest mistake they could of made.
Score
October 12, 2009 3:59:56 PM

My brother was a victim of the BS. They gave him a free month of service. What a load of crap. Hitachi arrays are garbage. Should have stuck with EMC arrays.
Score
October 12, 2009 4:03:52 PM

Wow! Putting all your cookies in one jar. One server for all my data. Are they using MS Home Server version 1.0? You should know better! Didn't you read the sign? "Danger!"
Score
October 12, 2009 4:06:46 PM

Oh come on now. That's got to be a few dozen terabytes of data, and they WERE running a RAID 5, so what danger was there to begin with?

Hah, did you catch that little pun there, danger, and the company's name is Danger! Hahaha.... wait, WTF!?!?! Why would you name your company Danger? After this fiasco, sounds like someone is already making plans to change that little ditty.
Score
October 12, 2009 4:07:31 PM

I smell lawsuits coming.
They are so careless.
Score
October 12, 2009 4:11:15 PM

Sue the ka rap out dem executive terrorizers!!
Score
October 12, 2009 4:24:02 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if "the invisible hand" worked the way it was supposed to and all of these customers' "demand" for Sidekick service suddenly evaporated along with their data--sending the telecommunications division of MS into an unrecoverable tailspin?

This likely won't happen will it?

Where the hell is Adam Smith??
Score
October 12, 2009 4:31:17 PM

The same story elsewhere states: "Microsoft has demonstrated that the dark side of cloud computing has no silver linings."

Makes you wonder just how much of a role MS is playing in this or if they did anything to insure that this type of failure never happens. If cloud computing does not when favor with the consumer, then we are back to using the same old office apps...the very apps the MS dominates the market share.
Score
October 12, 2009 4:40:59 PM

who the f*** doesn't back up large amounts of user data?
Score
October 12, 2009 4:43:31 PM

my girlfriend has a sidekick slide. it froze this Sunday and well.. poof all the data gone.
Score
October 12, 2009 4:53:02 PM

Quote:
the likelihood that the company will be able to recover the data is "extremely low."

Did the hard drive get smashed into smithereens by terrorists?
Score
October 12, 2009 4:55:00 PM

Quote:
Danger didn't backup user data before a SAN upgrade.

Quote:
Hiptop3 cites several sources who say something went wrong during the upgrade...

If true and data wasnt backed up before upgrade then nothing "went wrong" during the upgrade.

What went "wrong" was Danger's idiot IT admins who didnt plan a backup before Hitachi showed up. Even if contracted to have Hitachi back it up you are still taking too big a risk and being naive about it.
Score
October 12, 2009 5:14:16 PM

LOL that's funny! Knew the whole "cloud" idea for a phone was a stupid concept. At least when I lose my phone it's my fault if I didn't have the phone data backed up. But then again the people who expect a company to do everything for you like a backup and don't take simple precautions like backing up your own phone data are dumb to begin with. Do I feel sorry for them not one bit.
Score
October 12, 2009 5:33:40 PM

ssalimI smell lawsuits coming.They are so careless.

Correction, "class action lawsuit". Could be a big one. Some lawyer out there is already drafting the suit documents...
Score
October 12, 2009 5:43:09 PM

They won't make that mistake again.
Score
October 12, 2009 6:15:06 PM

Quote:
A "server failure" at Danger, the Microsoft-owned subsidiary that makes the Sidekick, has wiped out all user data. Anything stored on the server is gone with the wind...the likelihood that the company will be able to recover the data is "extremely low."

...and that's how cloud computing died.
Score
October 12, 2009 6:18:10 PM

Storing user data over cloud and not having redundancy or backup is just lame. Agree that there should be class action lawsuit and good job for microsoft making cloud computing really "nice" promotion.
Score
October 12, 2009 6:31:01 PM

The Sidekick never was a very smart phone. I'm not sure why so many people flocked to a phone like the Sidekick that was made by some small no name company (Danger) when there were better alternatives like Palm and Windows Mobile. The Sidekick in its various incarnations has always been one of the most problematic phones that T-Mobile has ever sold. The Sidekick is as much of a smart phone as the Nuviphone from Garmin. Suckers.
Score
October 12, 2009 6:33:42 PM

Time to update the "no warranty expressed or implied" section of the EULA again.
Score
October 12, 2009 7:19:23 PM

Murphy's law: If something can go wrong it will :) 
I wonder who are the masterminds of this architecture. I mean ... a contact data will not be bigger than 1k, and most of us don't have 1000 contacts, so a few megs would have been enough to secure the most important data like contacts, calendar etc. Most of modern phones have gigabytes of memory. Why not store critical things on the device too? The design team = LOOSERS + STUPIDS. Probably together with the upper management that cut the costs and discarded a safer but more expansive design.
We will never loose customer data ... yeah, right. YOU JUST DID!
Score
October 12, 2009 7:21:47 PM

wildwellThey won't make that mistake again.

Right. They will make a different one.
Score
October 12, 2009 7:24:31 PM

Heads will fly!!
For a company now days to not backup their data is inexcusable.
Even I have my data backed up at 2 other places. A secondary HDD and at remote server.
Also, forget about the backup before the update. What happened to last week's backup, or EVEN LAST MONTH's? None of those were made?

I know backing up TBs of data is expensive. But they are in a worst position now.
Score
October 12, 2009 7:25:01 PM

cruiseoverideDid the hard drive get smashed into smithereens by terrorists?

No. Probably they rebuilt the RAID volumes. Tadaaaaa!!
Score
October 12, 2009 7:37:04 PM

ZeroTech What happened to last week's backup, or EVEN LAST MONTH's? None of those were made? I know backing up TBs of data is expensive. But they are in a worst position now.

1TB HDD is 100$. And it's reusable. I know it's not that simple. But I cannot imagine that a solution to backup up data at a reasonable level of security and reliability will cost more than let's say 1000$/TB/Month

Oh. Another very important thing: CHECK THE BACKUP!!!!
A long long time ago a customer made daily backups only to discover that for some reason they were corrupted and unusable. Thank god the one week old full backup was good and we only had to type in a week of work. Because at that time (8 years ago) they still had a lot of paper.
Score
October 12, 2009 9:00:28 PM

I never knew the Sidekick was a MS thing. I had one efor a year before I upgraded to a MDA after 3 years of that I downgraded to a L2.
Score
October 12, 2009 11:20:17 PM

at least i get 3 months of free data plan... good thing i put most of my crap on my ipod touch and not my SK...
Score
Anonymous
October 13, 2009 3:54:29 AM

They should have used IBM XIV Storage - it's really to best thing going these days. Yeah, yeah EMC, DS8k, whatever. XIV is clearly the future...
Score
October 13, 2009 4:30:45 AM

I used to work for a large data center and working for a good size company. I am a freak when it comes to data redundancy in both personal and professional compacity. I am responsible for making sure we have redundancy in place for data in case the primary servers should fail.

Disk to Disk backups are the easiest and fastest thing to do in the world.. Just run RoboCopy if you use Windows Servers or Rsync if you use Linux. There is NO excuse for this fiasco. I never trusted third party vendors with my data, I run my own backups to tapes and disks.

Same goes whenever there is a major change in the data storage infrastructure including RAID. It always make me nervous whenever I do a PERC RAID firmware upgrade on a Dell production server as it could render the disk array un-readable. It's rare but it does happen due to mis-match of the storage sub-systems and RAID controller.

Since the upgrade involved a SAN infrastructure it simply means they screwed up the configurations of the RAID arrays by mis-matching the firmwares on the enclosures and the controller cards.

Remember folks.. RAID controllers do not like to be messed with hence the expression, "If it aint broken don't screw with it!!"
Score
October 13, 2009 4:33:56 AM

Also, they didn't bother to run a SQL backup to file and copying it to another location is another screw up on their part.
Score
October 13, 2009 4:39:34 AM

DangerDeepDohThey should have used IBM XIV Storage - it's really to best thing going these days. Yeah, yeah EMC, DS8k, whatever. XIV is clearly the future...

What about data corruption?? Only thing that saved us a couple of times was Windows Volume Shadow Service and good tape back ups.
Score
October 13, 2009 4:41:30 AM

i would expect this from apple but Microsoft for shame...
Score
October 13, 2009 5:34:22 AM

They probably tried to cut cost by relying on the backup abilities that are built into some raid arrays instead of a completely separate storage solution thats possibly off site.

Either that or t-mobile them self got a hosting plan that doesn't include backups in order to cut cost while at the same time ripping customers off.
Score
October 13, 2009 7:33:16 AM

excalibur1814This is the FIRST article I've read where it states MICROSOFT in the title. The others stayed subjective and put DANGER/MICROSOFT or just Danger.Well done Toms. Not.

Yeah right. When your dog bites someone it's his fault, not yours.
Score
Anonymous
October 13, 2009 12:41:06 PM

I have a Sidekick 3 and found my phone pop up that it detected a new SIM card so I had to log back in. It rejected all attempts to log in so I removed the battery to access the SIM card to re-seat it. Still couldn't log in. Later that night at home I found web postings of the outage. I was patient for a week until finally the next weekend I called support. They changed my password, I logged in, and all my data was restored. I hadn't updated any new information in a while (probably 2 weeks) so I don't know if that perhaps is why I didn't lose anything.

Needless to say it has me puzzled that they're stating they lost all data.
Score
October 13, 2009 1:28:21 PM

I'm a little amazed at people who think this problem is because of cloud computing.

This is a problem of backups and upgrades. Yes, this impacted a large number of users because their data was stored there, but it was a problem caused by improper planning and procedures.

I'm wary of putting data in the cloud for a few reasons, but this is simply a mistake by admins at this company. It's completely unacceptable to not have this data backed up, and to not test the backup if it was. It's amazing to me that they had a single point of failure on this as well.

My guess is that this company will not be in business for long. A mistake like this simply cannot be made. Mistakes are OK, but not this kind...
Score
October 13, 2009 2:14:43 PM

My personal take on the incident is:
* Cloud threatens M$ antiquated business model
* M$ blows up cloud to discourage it's adoption.
* Someone at Hitachi gets secret, large bonus for job well done.
Score
October 13, 2009 3:06:44 PM

Microsoft didn't back up data? Wha, they are a developer of products for the PC, and it goes without saying that you back up your data.

I'm aghast here.
Score
October 13, 2009 3:09:21 PM

Note: If Apple owned Danger, everything would be backed up on a Time Machine :) 
Score
October 13, 2009 3:57:31 PM

From what I've gathered there seems to be a kind of over exuberance to blame Microsoft for this. Danger is a subsidiary, but is responsible for their own internal workings. Blame Danger; not Microsoft, the company who represents something completely different.
Score
October 13, 2009 4:29:37 PM

huronI'm a little amazed at people who think this problem is because of cloud computing.This is a problem of backups and upgrades. Yes, this impacted a large number of users because their data was stored there, but it was a problem caused by improper planning and procedures. I'm wary of putting data in the cloud for a few reasons, but this is simply a mistake by admins at this company. It's completely unacceptable to not have this data backed up, and to not test the backup if it was. It's amazing to me that they had a single point of failure on this as well. My guess is that this company will not be in business for long. A mistake like this simply cannot be made. Mistakes are OK, but not this kind...

thats not what people are hating it about, they hate it because 1 failure like this is too many. and theres always room for mistakes.
especially if a company is greedy, they don't really care about your data. with a cloud, it is just a extra thing that can go wrong and you loose your data over things like carelessness of others instead of your own carelessness.

remember on all of those DIY shows, do it your self because you will take care of your own stuff better and do a more through job than someone hired to do the job because in any case the only one willing to go the extra mile is you.

Score
October 14, 2009 3:42:21 AM

Probably m$ tried to eliminate all non-m$ technology from danger - deutsche telekom/m$ style (their usual transitions to m$ exchange/$erver$ or lu$er data exposure/lo$$ blunders). Working Oracle clusters or Sun servers aren't good enough for billy-boy's cronies...
Brilliantly: m$ technology at work... just another resounding $ucce$$ $tory - and there is some breed of lu$ers which trusts the gamer o$ and any other microcrap product$ and $ervice$ with closed eyes... beware the m$ premium mobile experience.
Score
October 16, 2009 10:24:43 PM

Wow, so many people who know nothing what they are talking about...

When you have backups for LARGE SANs, usually you do a full backup once a week (if you have enough drives / tapes / etc) and then do incremental backups as you go.

If your SAN is 200 Tb... your backup could take easily 48+ hours to complete.

They may well have had a backup, with a week's worth of incremental backups... At 200 Tb (not a very large SAN), to restore and verify that data could EASILY take a couple days to a week.

If they hadn't done a full backup in longer then, say, 2 weeks... well, add another 4+ hours on the restore for each days worth of incremental backup you have to go through...

When a SAN update borks... as a tech you almost have to go into total disaster recovery mode. And restoring many Tb of data off of tape backups... it takes time.
Score
!