3d marks 2001 Gf2

Telicus

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I was looking at the 3d marks 2001 and I saw that the gforce pro out proformed the ultra here is what I have why is this? is it because of the cpu?
------------------------------------------------------------
T-Bird 1200@1350 ECS K7S5A Powergene GeForce 2 Pro252/465 256 MB DDR @ 150 Det. 14.40 5372 ELMANDINGO
Coppermine 1100@1320 Asus Black Pearl Leadtek GeForce 2 Ultra 256 MB PC166 Det. 12.90 3860 Kenjii
also can someone tell me the best place to find benchmarks I thanks.

"yes I know my enemy they are the teachers that taught me to hate me"

FatBurger

Illustrious
The CPU, the brand of video card, and the drivers
And probably the way the system was set up, too

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
yup vid drivers-old, might be OS, and many other things..

the ultra is better then the GTS, u cant compare rigs with totally dfi setups not under lab tests..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You got a good point there. The Athlon vs P3 Coppermine at the nearly the same speed should score pretty similarly at nearly the same clock speed. The stock clock of your Ultra is 250/460 which is also close to that of the the overclocked Pro (252/465). I never found much difference in speed between Detonators from 10.50 to 14.xx so that's not the difference. Your score should be close to the other system.

I see the Athlon is running a 150mhz FSB. What is the FSB speed of your system?

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's not a PIII, it's a Celeron (only one avaialble at 1100) and not even a Tualatin, but a Coppermine (must be using refrigerated cooling). The Coppermine Celeron is a real puke of a chip, with half the cache disabled and other performance reducing features. In fact the PIII 933 outperforms it by a long shot.

Back to you Tom...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, I just noticed the other guys score! I got almost as much as him with a PIII 700@933 and a GTS! Prooving that even at 1320 with a GeForce2 Ultra, the Coppermine Celeron is still a POS! I wonder how much he "saved" on that Celeron over just getting a PIII (considering cooling cost)!

Back to you Tom...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It just dawned on me, Coppermine! at 1320mhz! Celeron 1100! I didn't know there was such a thing!

I was thinking Tualatin.

Is it true that the P3 Tualatin will eventually become <b>the new Celeron</b> or will the new Celeron also be a "cachestrated" processor?

No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Mainly due to the incresed frequency, the Tualatin has a higher dependance on bus frequency. In fact it aproaches the maximum amount of impact that going from 100FSB to 133FSB can have-30%! So the Celeron will perform well if you can overclock it to 1600MHz/133FSB, but at stock speed performs almost 25% slower than the 1.2GHz PIII Tualatin (Mathematically, 133 is 33% greater than 100, but 100 is 25% less than 133). Duron/Athlon guys are unfamilier with the severity of this problem due to the fact that their DDR bus is less of a limmiting factor.

Back to you Tom...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
1600mhz? That's sounds like a big "<b>IF</b>"

So the Tualatin-core Celeron will be limited to 100mhz FSB?

The Celeron will no longer be <b>CACHE</b>strated but it's still <b>BUS</b>ted :smile: .

I guess I misunderstood something I read. I thought the Celeron would be just the P3 Tualatin renamed. I didn't know about any performance limitations.

No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 10/18/01 03:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, the Tualatin is known for overclocking beyond 1600MHz. Tom said he couldn't get his to go to 133FSB, but I think his motherboard is using the earlier BIOS revision that does not allow v-core adjustment.

Back to you Tom...