how many users ok?

I have to do a complete wipe and reinstallation of XP. It runs slow,
reasons unknown.

Anyway, on the old system, we had 2 users, both with administrative
privileges.

I need to know whether multiple users will cause the performance to
drop in a major way. I understand the answer is yes IF both users
remain active with programs running. But, we close our programs and
log off completely when we switch users.

Will multiple users on a system bog it down if only one user has
programs running and the other user is logged off?

Thanks,

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:db27g1h9ui1gjp240qg59a30p0odohksis@4ax.com,
TRABEM <TRABEM> had this to say:

> I have to do a complete wipe and reinstallation of XP. It runs slow,
> reasons unknown.
>
> Anyway, on the old system, we had 2 users, both with administrative
> privileges.
>
> I need to know whether multiple users will cause the performance to
> drop in a major way. I understand the answer is yes IF both users
> remain active with programs running. But, we close our programs and
> log off completely when we switch users.
>
> Will multiple users on a system bog it down if only one user has
> programs running and the other user is logged off?
>
> Thanks,

The number of users is not really important. I'm sure there's a finite limit
but two certainly is not that limit. Try this first:

Malware Cleaning :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

No, if only one user is logged on, there will be no delays in performance.
If you have multiple users, they remain logged on and you utilize Fast User
Switch, yes, you will notice delays in performance.
For best performance, all users should log off when their session is
through.
If you have several, I don't know the number of users xp allows, but if you
have several, it is possible that not all of them will be present at the
welcome screen.
You can test this yourself by leaving users logged on with all their
programs still running, then switch to a new user. You'll notice a
difference.

A slow computer does not necessarily mean you have to reinstall.
Maybe we could help you with that.
There are many reasons why a pc runs slowly, but if you'd rather not get
into it, and just do a reinstallation, that's okay, your call.

<TRABEM> wrote in message news:db27g1h9ui1gjp240qg59a30p0odohksis@4ax.com...
>I have to do a complete wipe and reinstallation of XP. It runs slow,
> reasons unknown.
>
> Anyway, on the old system, we had 2 users, both with administrative
> privileges.
>
> I need to know whether multiple users will cause the performance to
> drop in a major way. I understand the answer is yes IF both users
> remain active with programs running. But, we close our programs and
> log off completely when we switch users.
>
> Will multiple users on a system bog it down if only one user has
> programs running and the other user is logged off?
>
> Thanks,

>There are many reasons why a pc runs slowly, but if you'd rather not get
>into it, and just do a reinstallation, that's okay, your call.

No problem at all-but I've looked and scanned and followed
recommendations of others.

I've been through HELL.

Worst of all, after all the recommendations, scans, changes to the OS
etc etc, I still haven't gotten an indication why it slows down. When
I look at the resource summary, there appears to be nothing wrong.

I have put the brakes on XP's niceties, scanned, defragmented, we use
Norton antivirus, have a hardware firewall and already use an
alternative startup which is minimized.

I've gotten down to needing more ram, only have 256 MB in a Dell
Inspiron 1100 laptop........or, the services running is allowing to
much to run in the background.

There are 40 services running after a fresh boot. Problem is I don't
know what all those lines mean, so I am hesitant to discontinue any of
those services....and, not really sure it's the problem anyway:>:

Thanks

><TRABEM> wrote in message news:db27g1h9ui1gjp240qg59a30p0odohksis@4ax.com...
>>I have to do a complete wipe and reinstallation of XP. It runs slow,
>> reasons unknown.
>>
>> Anyway, on the old system, we had 2 users, both with administrative
>> privileges.
>>
>> I need to know whether multiple users will cause the performance to
>> drop in a major way. I understand the answer is yes IF both users
>> remain active with programs running. But, we close our programs and
>> log off completely when we switch users.
>>
>> Will multiple users on a system bog it down if only one user has
>> programs running and the other user is logged off?
>>
>> Thanks,

Fitz

256 mb is about the minimum for XP. Have you run scumware and virus scans
in Safe Mode? Free programs you can download: SpyBot Search & Destroy,
Ad-Aware (from lavasoft), Spyware Blaster. Navigate to your Windows
directory. Find a subfolder called Prefetch. Delete all files in Prefetch.
Don't delete the folder itself. Go to Start>Run. Type MSCONFIG. Go to the
tab labeled Startup. Uncheck items you don't need from starting.

<TRABEM> wrote in message news:0tv7g1tgt9h8p3rn06tu02tgt6tbu6tftn@4ax.com...

>>There are many reasons why a pc runs slowly, but if you'd rather not get
>>into it, and just do a reinstallation, that's okay, your call.
>>

> No problem at all-but I've looked and scanned and followed
> recommendations of others.
>
> I've been through HELL.
>
> Worst of all, after all the recommendations, scans, changes to the OS
> etc etc, I still haven't gotten an indication why it slows down. When
> I look at the resource summary, there appears to be nothing wrong.
>
> I have put the brakes on XP's niceties, scanned, defragmented, we use
> Norton antivirus, have a hardware firewall and already use an
> alternative startup which is minimized.
>
> I've gotten down to needing more ram, only have 256 MB in a Dell
> Inspiron 1100 laptop........or, the services running is allowing to
> much to run in the background.
>
> There are 40 services running after a fresh boot. Problem is I don't
> know what all those lines mean, so I am hesitant to discontinue any of
> those services....and, not really sure it's the problem anyway:>:
>
> Thanks

>><TRABEM> wrote in message
>>>I have to do a complete wipe and reinstallation of XP. It runs slow,
>>> reasons unknown.
>>>
>>> Anyway, on the old system, we had 2 users, both with administrative
>>> privileges.
>>>
>>> I need to know whether multiple users will cause the performance to
>>> drop in a major way. I understand the answer is yes IF both users
>>> remain active with programs running. But, we close our programs and
>>> log off completely when we switch users.
>>>
>>> Will multiple users on a system bog it down if only one user has
>>> programs running and the other user is logged off?
>>>
>>> Thanks,

40 services is about par for windows, however, you can adjust what you see
when you are looking at to see what's eating your resources.
open task manager, click on view >set columns>and add mem usage and peak mem
usage.
Also, msconfig>startup tab will show programs that are loading when you
start your pc, most of which you don't need at startup.
Norton is a huge resource hog.
As for the Prefetch folder. I disagree that it needs to be emptied. If you
empty it, it will reload as soon as you reboot, and it will only contain
128 items, if more are needed, it will automatically rid itself of
something, therefore maintaining the 128.

Prefetch myth,
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000743.html

here is an article that helps explain task manager, etc.
http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20030915/techspace01.shtml

Also, check your add/remove programs to see if you have any old, unused
programs in there, if so, remove them.

Then, there is the Trojan effect.
you can download this,
http://majorgeeks.com/TrojanHunter_d1232.html
it has a 30 day trial, ( I think it's 30 days) which will find Trojans that
may not be detected by other products. I thought my system was clean, but it
seemed a bit sluggish, and to my surprise, it found one.

"Fitz" <SENDNOMAIL@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 256 mb is about the minimum for XP. Have you run scumware and virus scans
> in Safe Mode? Free programs you can download: SpyBot Search & Destroy,
> Ad-Aware (from lavasoft), Spyware Blaster. Navigate to your Windows
> directory. Find a subfolder called Prefetch. Delete all files in
> Prefetch. Don't delete the folder itself. Go to Start>Run. Type
> MSCONFIG. Go to the tab labeled Startup. Uncheck items you don't need
> from starting.
>

> <TRABEM> wrote in message
>>
>>>There are many reasons why a pc runs slowly, but if you'd rather not get
>>>into it, and just do a reinstallation, that's okay, your call.
>>>

>> No problem at all-but I've looked and scanned and followed
>> recommendations of others.
>>
>> I've been through HELL.
>>
>> Worst of all, after all the recommendations, scans, changes to the OS
>> etc etc, I still haven't gotten an indication why it slows down. When
>> I look at the resource summary, there appears to be nothing wrong.
>>
>> I have put the brakes on XP's niceties, scanned, defragmented, we use
>> Norton antivirus, have a hardware firewall and already use an
>> alternative startup which is minimized.
>>
>> I've gotten down to needing more ram, only have 256 MB in a Dell
>> Inspiron 1100 laptop........or, the services running is allowing to
>> much to run in the background.
>>
>> There are 40 services running after a fresh boot. Problem is I don't
>> know what all those lines mean, so I am hesitant to discontinue any of
>> those services....and, not really sure it's the problem anyway:>:
>>
>> Thanks

>>><TRABEM> wrote in message

Fitz

Hi Ivee...

I had a problem once that resided in the Prefetch folder and caused my
computer to have a problem when starting Windows. When I found the entry in
Prefetch, I removed it and the problem was solved. Later I noticed that
when I examined the Prefetch folder, a lot of entries existed that were no
longer on my computer. Examples were multiple entries for setup programs,
all with the same name. I've found that periodically (every couple of
months) empting the Prefetch folder improves my computers performance
because, as you said, Windows rebuilds the Prefetch folder. When it
rebuilds the folder, only those current items that are loaded will be placed
there. Anyhow, it works for me.

Regards,
Fitz

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> 40 services is about par for windows, however, you can adjust what you see
> when you are looking at to see what's eating your resources.
> open task manager, click on view >set columns>and add mem usage and peak
> mem usage.
> Also, msconfig>startup tab will show programs that are loading when you
> start your pc, most of which you don't need at startup.
> Norton is a huge resource hog.
> As for the Prefetch folder. I disagree that it needs to be emptied. If
> you empty it, it will reload as soon as you reboot, and it will only
> contain 128 items, if more are needed, it will automatically rid itself of
> something, therefore maintaining the 128.
>

> Prefetch myth,
> http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000743.html
>
> here is an article that helps explain task manager, etc.
> http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20030915/techspace01.shtml
>
> Also, check your add/remove programs to see if you have any old, unused
> programs in there, if so, remove them.
>
> Then, there is the Trojan effect.
> you can download this,
> http://majorgeeks.com/TrojanHunter_d1232.html
> it has a 30 day trial, ( I think it's 30 days) which will find Trojans
> that may not be detected by other products. I thought my system was clean,
> but it seemed a bit sluggish, and to my surprise, it found one.
>
> "Fitz" <SENDNOMAIL@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> 256 mb is about the minimum for XP. Have you run scumware and virus
>> scans in Safe Mode? Free programs you can download: SpyBot Search &
>> Destroy, Ad-Aware (from lavasoft), Spyware Blaster. Navigate to your
>> Windows directory. Find a subfolder called Prefetch. Delete all files
>> in Prefetch. Don't delete the folder itself. Go to Start>Run. Type
>> MSCONFIG. Go to the tab labeled Startup. Uncheck items you don't need
>> from starting.
>>

>> <TRABEM> wrote in message

>>> No problem at all-but I've looked and scanned and followed
>>> recommendations of others.
>>>
>>> I've been through HELL.
>>>
>>> Worst of all, after all the recommendations, scans, changes to the OS
>>> etc etc, I still haven't gotten an indication why it slows down. When
>>> I look at the resource summary, there appears to be nothing wrong.
>>>
>>> I have put the brakes on XP's niceties, scanned, defragmented, we use
>>> Norton antivirus, have a hardware firewall and already use an
>>> alternative startup which is minimized.
>>>
>>> I've gotten down to needing more ram, only have 256 MB in a Dell
>>> Inspiron 1100 laptop........or, the services running is allowing to
>>> much to run in the background.
>>>
>>> There are 40 services running after a fresh boot. Problem is I don't
>>> know what all those lines mean, so I am hesitant to discontinue any of
>>> those services....and, not really sure it's the problem anyway:>:
>>>
>>> Thanks

>here is an article that helps explain task manager, etc.
>http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20030915/techspace01.shtml

OK, the Task Manager explanation was very nice-just the sort of basic
info I needed. Thanks to you and Fitz for getting me there
(eventually).

This is a problem that started when the computer was new. It was
always a slug, right from the Dell factory. Willie in India, which was
the Dell chosen technical representative didn't know his keyboard from
a hole in the ground and basically told me if I couldn't give him more
specific information, he couldn't help me.

So, the warranty came and went......we ended up with this mess.
Perhaps I should have been more persistent, but I repeatedly asked to
talk to a technician in the US, then a US based Service Manager. No
good, they told me this wasn't possible. I basically gave up at that
point.

I should also say that I found their phone number with a google search
and called directly (to the headquarters in the US). When I asked to
talk to Mr. Dell, they told me he didn't talk to customers and the
operator told me she would be fired if she put me through to him. She
offered me his fax number, but I never followed through.

Anyway, in the last couple of months, the problem has gotten worse.
Each time I look into something, the computer comes up clean. To this
day, I cannot identify WHY it's so slow..everything I look at says
it's ok or scans clean.

I did go online to update drivers last week and there was a link to
talk to a Dell technician. Since I couldn't find my hard drive in the
list of driver updates, I clicked on the link. A few minutes later, a
tech came on.verified I had the latest driver already and told me to
flash the bios (which failed when I had tried it earlier in the day).
So, they told me to try again, and I went from an A25 to an A32
bios......but it made no difference in the problem.

The technician told me the first step in this troubleshooting
procedure would be to access the Dell Diagnostics, which are hardware
diagnostics in ROM (I think). Anyway, my system passed all the
hardware tests.........

So, Dell Service has gotten better, but we were still stuck with the
lemon and they sure aren't going to do anything about it now (almost 2
years later)!

Hopefully new buyers aren't exposed to the off-shore out-sourced
technical assistance they used to provide:>:

Anyway, I did look at the url's you gave, and in some detail, looked
at the task manager. Even with the more advanced information, I'm not
seeing WHY or WHAT the problem is.

I'm working on step 9 of a 13 step process given to me by a Microsoft
MSIE. It's also very detailed and there is a backup for the backup.if
you know what I mean. But, nothing seems to show up as an error.

Before closing, I should say that my brother in law has the Dell
Inspiron 1150, which is nearly identical (same processor speed, PC2700
instead of PC2100 ram, both systems are bottom end systems that sold
for the same price). When we ran them side by side, he had
applications opened, edited files and closed before my computer
finished displaying the desktop!

I do Spice electronic circuit simulations, which are computationally
intensive. The support group for the software has an unofficial
'benchmark' circuit for testing computer speed. My system runs the
benchmark 3 times slower than other similar systems do.

I'm resisting the reinstallation of the OS, especially since I have no
evidence it is corrupted....hopefully it won't come down to that.

I did add another 128 MB of ram (going from 256 to 384 MB), but my
wife says it didn't seem to make any difference to her. I noticed that
it boots faster and the time between the login and the desktop being
displayed is faster. Other than that, the additional ram made little
difference.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

okay, if you want, here goes.
there are a few things you can do.
First off, did you download and install Trojan hunter?
also, you can go to that same Major Geeks site, and download and install
Hijack This. Follow instructions then post your HT log at Castlecops,
http://castlecops.com/forums.html

Also, what specifically do you have in your msconfig startup tab, how many
items and what are they?
Don't flash your BIOS anymore, it can be very risky.
I personally would ditch Norton, easier said than done..it's a ah heck to get
rid of. I'd go with AVG, or Avast, both have free versions.
Task manager..look for anything that has an enormous amount of RAM usage,
jot it down and post it.
I don't remember if you posted your internet connection info, dialup, or
what?
Also, have you run a disk cleanup? Right click your Local C:
drive>properties>disk cleanup.
This will delete a bunch of files. Now, while you are there, and before you
hit okay to cleanup those files, click on the MORE Options tab, there you
will find an option to remove all but the most recent restore points. You
can do that, or you can turn off system restore entirely, which will free
up some space, but be advised it removes all restore points. Once done, you
can turn it back on.
What is your browser, IE, I suppose..oh well, that's okay. :)
If you use IE, go to tools>internet options> then on the temp internet
files, delete cookies, and files.

Don't mess with Services.

Now, do this,
click start>administrative services>event viewer.
What you are looking for are entries with a red error indicator. You can
click on those for a brief explanation, then each will have a link that you
can click that will open a Help & Support article, that may ( or may not )
have a bit more info, or at least yet another link.;)

Okay, now do this,
right click MY computer>properties>advance tab>performance >settings. Click
'Let windows choose what's best for my computer' okay, or apply your way out
of that.

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:11:13 -0500, "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com>
wrote:

>okay, if you want, here goes.
>there are a few things you can do.
>First off, did you download and install Trojan hunter?
>also, you can go to that same Major Geeks site, and download and install
>Hijack This. Follow instructions then post your HT log at Castlecops,
>http://castlecops.com/forums.html

I did both Trojanhunter and hijackthis. I did not postt he hijackthis
log however.

>Also, what specifically do you have in your msconfig startup tab, how many
>items and what are they?

I am showing 40 processes running and do a custom startup as suggested
by other users.

>Don't flash your BIOS anymore, it can be very risky.

Dell said there was a major change made and that it should be done for
my computer.

>I personally would ditch Norton, easier said than done..it's a ah heck to get
>rid of. I'd go with AVG, or Avast, both have free versions.

We got Norton at the suggestion of our local computer shop because
McAffee often allows virus to infect the computer anyway and McAffee
uses many more resources than Norton. This suggestion is 4 years old
however, maybe it's time to go to another vendor.

> Task manager..look for anything that has an enormous amount of RAM usage,
>jot it down and post it.

Have looked there, everything runs clean. I've even done some of the
more advanced setups and changed the priority of some of the processes
to see if they were causing problems. The more I look, the less I see
as a possible problem. I'm stumped-it all looks good.

>I don't remember if you posted your internet connection info, dialup, or
>what?

Recently upgraded from 128K dsl to 384K DSL. Our ISP says we should
expect 360K actaul download speeds, but even under ideal conditions,
we get 20 to 30 percent less than they say we should have. This has
been verified by using different computers here and by taking my
laptop to my neighbors house and testing it on their DSL (same speed,
same ISP, same DSL modem and setup). Our system has a slower speed
than our neighbors does-reasons unknown.

>Also, have you run a disk cleanup? Right click your Local C:
>drive>properties>disk cleanup.

I've done that and more. Norton cleanup digs even deeper. Fat
temporary internet files and long history files aren't the problem.

>This will delete a bunch of files. Now, while you are there, and before you
>hit okay to cleanup those files, click on the MORE Options tab, there you
>will find an option to remove all but the most recent restore points. You
>can do that, or you can turn off system restore entirely, which will free
>up some space, but be advised it removes all restore points. Once done, you
>can turn it back on.

I've deleted restore points before-it doesn't change anything except
that it makes more space available on the HD.

>What is your browser, IE, I suppose..oh well, that's okay. :)
>If you use IE, go to tools>internet options> then on the temp internet
>files, delete cookies, and files.

Done all of this and MUCH MORE.

>Don't mess with Services.

Services seem to be the last frontier, but not much has been
written/suggested regarding them.

>Now, do this,
>click start>administrative services>event viewer.
>What you are looking for are entries with a red error indicator. You can
>click on those for a brief explanation, then each will have a link that you
>can click that will open a Help & Support article, that may ( or may not )
>have a bit more info, or at least yet another link.;)

OK, hadn't done this before.

Under 'application, I see all the errors I've been getting. The vast
majority of them are Application Hangs and Application Errors. I get
these all the time, the usual problem is that the computer times out
and telles me there has been an error.

Under Security, I get a Failure Audit sometimes, which appears to be
an error entering passwords from time to time.

Under System, I see errors that result from time outs (this or that
didn't register with DCOM within the allowed time period). And this:

The Application Layer Gateway Service service failed to start due to
the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
timely fashion.

All of these errors result from the computer virtually stopping, the
hourglass icon comes on saying 'wait', and eventually we have to
manually close and ap or an error occurs because a particular
application times out while waiting to be run.

These are the types of error we get all the time.

Doesn't everyone have these???

>Okay, now do this,
>right click MY computer>properties>advance tab>performance >settings. Click
>'Let windows choose what's best for my computer' okay, or apply your way out
>of that.

Ok, I had been here before, and I had the 'adjust for best
performance' checked. Honestly, when I did what you suggested, all the
XP fancy niceties were enabled-the vast majority of them I don't want
and don't care about. While some might want custom icons for folders
and other fancy stuff, I don't really want ofr need these 'features'.
By doing this, didn't I just re-enable many resource hogging luxury
items?

Comments?

Thanks so much for your suggestions and taking the time to write back.

I have just discovered that the user profiles have a very small amount of
memory allocated to them, and I don't know how to change the "limited"
setting - this is making my daughter's settings run very slow.
--
mcm

"TRABEM" wrote:

> I have to do a complete wipe and reinstallation of XP. It runs slow,
> reasons unknown.
>
> Anyway, on the old system, we had 2 users, both with administrative
> privileges.
>
> I need to know whether multiple users will cause the performance to
> drop in a major way. I understand the answer is yes IF both users
> remain active with programs running. But, we close our programs and
> log off completely when we switch users.
>
> Will multiple users on a system bog it down if only one user has
> programs running and the other user is logged off?
>
> Thanks,

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

<<<I have just discovered that the user profiles have a very small amount of
memory allocated to them>>>

This simply isn't true. If (only) your daughters profile is running slow
there are other culprits than memory.

--

Cheers,
Tinkerer

"TRABEM" wrote:

> I have to do a complete wipe and reinstallation of XP. It runs slow,
> reasons unknown.
>
> Anyway, on the old system, we had 2 users, both with administrative
> privileges.
>
> I need to know whether multiple users will cause the performance to
> drop in a major way. I understand the answer is yes IF both users
> remain active with programs running. But, we close our programs and
> log off completely when we switch users.
>
> Will multiple users on a system bog it down if only one user has
> programs running and the other user is logged off?
>
> Thanks,

Please don't post your problem in someone else's thread..it's considered
rude, and it makes it more difficult to keep track of who's asking and who's
answering.

"mcm" <mcm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just discovered that the user profiles have a very small amount of
> memory allocated to them, and I don't know how to change the "limited"
> setting - this is making my daughter's settings run very slow.
> --
> mcm
>

> "TRABEM" wrote:
>
>> I have to do a complete wipe and reinstallation of XP. It runs slow,
>> reasons unknown.
>>
>> Anyway, on the old system, we had 2 users, both with administrative
>> privileges.
>>
>> I need to know whether multiple users will cause the performance to
>> drop in a major way. I understand the answer is yes IF both users
>> remain active with programs running. But, we close our programs and
>> log off completely when we switch users.
>>
>> Will multiple users on a system bog it down if only one user has
>> programs running and the other user is logged off?
>>
>> Thanks,

>Also, what specifically do you have in your msconfig startup tab, how many
>items and what are they?

>>I am showing 40 processes running and do a custom startup as suggested
>>by other users.

Sorry, wasn't asking about processes, I was asking about what you have
clicked to load at startup in the msconfig utility startup tab.

<TRABEM> wrote in message news:h3sbg1he49vs8sj19eqht1u8to7pq5sb2n@4ax.com...
> [...]

> memory allocated to them, and I don't know how to change the "limited"
> setting - this is making my daughter's settings run very slow.
> --
> mcm
>

> "TRABEM" wrote:
>
>> I have to do a complete wipe and reinstallation of XP. It runs slow,
>> reasons unknown.
>>
>> Anyway, on the old system, we had 2 users, both with administrative
>> privileges.
>>
>> I need to know whether multiple users will cause the performance to
>> drop in a major way. I understand the answer is yes IF both users
>> remain active with programs running. But, we close our programs and
>> log off completely when we switch users.
>>
>> Will multiple users on a system bog it down if only one user has
>> programs running and the other user is logged off?

Sorry, didn't mean to post this under your reply.

> Please don't post your problem in someone else's thread..it's considered
> rude, and it makes it more difficult to keep track of who's asking and
> who's answering.
>
> "mcm" <mcm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have just discovered that the user profiles have a very small amount of
>> memory allocated to them, and I don't know how to change the "limited"
>> setting - this is making my daughter's settings run very slow.
>> --
>> mcm
>>

>> "TRABEM" wrote:
>>
>>> I have to do a complete wipe and reinstallation of XP. It runs slow,
>>> reasons unknown.
>>>
>>> Anyway, on the old system, we had 2 users, both with administrative
>>> privileges.
>>>
>>> I need to know whether multiple users will cause the performance to
>>> drop in a major way. I understand the answer is yes IF both users
>>> remain active with programs running. But, we close our programs and
>>> log off completely when we switch users.
>>>
>>> Will multiple users on a system bog it down if only one user has
>>> programs running and the other user is logged off?
>>>
>>> Thanks,

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:09:01 -0700, mcm
<mcm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have just discovered that the user profiles have a very small amount of
>memory allocated to them, and I don't know how to change the "limited"
>setting - this is making my daughter's settings run very slow.

Go to control panel>user accounts and select your daughter's account.

Once that page opens, you will see a list of things you can do IF you
have administrative priveleges.

We actually tried this, just last night. It made no difference, It was
a brief test, maybe it can use further evaluation tho.

Regards,

>Also, what specifically do you have in your msconfig startup tab, how many
>items and what are they?

I don't see any way to select text in startup items, so I can't cut
and paste....that's a lot of typing.

I have one item which is unlabeled, which looks odd to me.

Anyway, here's the list.

igfxtray
hkcmd
syntplpr (norton)
syntpenh (norton)
dadapp (dell)
tfswctrl
dsentry
sgtray
bcmsmmsg
blank line, has no name or command column entry, it is in the run
folder, same location as all the above items.
cfgwiz

There are unchecked boxes there for skype and OO, both of which are
uninstalled and will probably stay uninstalled.

I am no great fan of the bloatware concept, XP has many features which
I neither want or desire. It's possible some of these items aren't
needed, but without knowing the ramifications of what each item does,
I am hesitant to exorcize them.

Examples of this are media player, Internet Explorer, activeX (a real
disaster), vbs etc. When possible I do not use microsoft utility
programs. I also refuse to play online bridge and other microsoft
games becasue Bill makes me accept and use more of his
software...which shouldn't really be necessary...but, he makes the
online games unavailable unless I choose to install more of his
software.

Additionally, I do not want to run IE because of the activeX problem,
which I believe is still unrepaired to this day. I do not an will not
run his email and usenet software.......

So, if I have items in the startup that aren't necessary and can be
trimmed, I'm all for it:>:

The item with a blank line showing in the startup is a mystery to
me.....is it possible it's the problem???

Thanks,

Just to make sure, you found those via, Start>run>type in
msconfig>startup tab?
None of those are needed to run at startup, but what does concern me is it
appears there is nothing familiar at all in your msconfig startup tab.
Anyway, you can uncheck all of them, first click selective startup on the
General tab, and put a check in the last three radio buttons, then go to the
startup tab and remove the check next to any of those that, from the
descriptions below, you feel you don't need at startup. Remember, that this
does not remove the programs or functions, just prevents them from loading
at startup.
Then, you can, instead of having 'Windows Choose what's best, you can of
course, change that to your preferences. Turn off screensavers, etc.

The blank item is not to worry about. If it bothers you, as the ones that I
had bothered me, you can clear them entirely.
go to Start>run> type in regedit

Navigate to Hkey_local>Software>Microsoft>msconfig>startupreg. Highlight
that folder, and expand it. There you will see a list of all unused
entries. You can delete them by right clicking that folder and deleting.

As far as the X-tras, you can eliminate many by going to add/remove windows
components.

I keep I.E. strictly for updates as it's needed in order to get them, and I
use Firefox as my browser...works great.

igfxtray----- igfxtray.exe is a process which allows you to access access
the Intel Graphics configuration and diagnostic application for the Intel
810 series graphics chipset. This program is a non-essential system process,
and is installed for ease of use via the desktop tray.

> hkcmd---- hkcmd.exe is installed alongside Intel multimedia devices and
> allows configuration and diagnostic options for these devices. This
> program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should
> not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems
> syntplpr (norton) I don't think this is Norton, I think it's Synapics
> touchpad... syntplpr.exe is a process installed alongside the Synaptics
> TouchPad for laptop computer touchpads. It provides additional
> configurations and support. This program is a non-essential process, and
> is installed for ease of use.
> syntpenh (norton)---Same, touchpad.... syntpenh.exe is a process installed
> alongside the Synaptics TouchPad for laptop computer touchpads. Provides
> additional configurations and support, and is essential on some machines
> for the functioning of this input device. This program is a non-essential
> system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be
> causing problems.
> dadapp (dell)programmable keys.. dadapp.exe is a part of the Dell
> AccessDirect Applet. Implements the Dell programmable keys on your Dell
> laptop. Alsi installs an icon on your system tray (DadTray). This program
> is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless
> suspected to be causing problems
> tfswctrl --- Process File: tfswctrl or tfswctrl.exe
Process Name: HP DLA Packet Writing Software

tfswctrl.exe is an essential process for HP's packet writing software which
burns data to CD's using Microsoft Windows explorer. This program is a
non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected
to be causing problems.
> dsentry.......
dsentry - dsentry.exe - Process Information
Process File: dsentry or dsentry.exe
Process Name: Dell DVD Sentry

dsentry.exe is an application provided by Dell. It stops the autorun
application from executing on disc insertion. This is a non-essential
process. Disabling or enabling this is down to user preferenc

> sgtray.....

sgtray - sgtray.exe - Process Information

Process File: sgtray or sgtray.exe
Process Name: VERITAS StorageGuard Tray Application

sgtray.exe is a utility from VERITAS Software Corporation which installs
itself on the system tray bar, and serves to remind you to backup your
files. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down
to user preference

<TRABEM> wrote in message news:9noeg1h49e76buqeme8adekh06apu83emr@4ax.com...

>>Also, what specifically do you have in your msconfig startup tab, how many
>>items and what are they?
>
> I don't see any way to select text in startup items, so I can't cut
> and paste....that's a lot of typing.
>
> I have one item which is unlabeled, which looks odd to me.
>
> Anyway, here's the list.
>

> igfxtray
> hkcmd
> syntplpr (norton)
> syntpenh (norton)
> dadapp (dell)
> tfswctrl
> dsentry
> sgtray
> bcmsmmsg
> blank line, has no name or command column entry, it is in the run
> folder, same location as all the above items.
> cfgwiz
>
> There are unchecked boxes there for skype and OO, both of which are
> uninstalled and will probably stay uninstalled.
>
> I am no great fan of the bloatware concept, XP has many features which
> I neither want or desire. It's possible some of these items aren't
> needed, but without knowing the ramifications of what each item does,
> I am hesitant to exorcize them.
>
> Examples of this are media player, Internet Explorer, activeX (a real
> disaster), vbs etc. When possible I do not use microsoft utility
> programs. I also refuse to play online bridge and other microsoft
> games becasue Bill makes me accept and use more of his
> software...which shouldn't really be necessary...but, he makes the
> online games unavailable unless I choose to install more of his
> software.
>
> Additionally, I do not want to run IE because of the activeX problem,
> which I believe is still unrepaired to this day. I do not an will not
> run his email and usenet software.......
>
> So, if I have items in the startup that aren't necessary and can be
> trimmed, I'm all for it:>:
>
> The item with a blank line showing in the startup is a mystery to
> me.....is it possible it's the problem???
>
> Thanks,

begin 666 count.php?key=load
M1TE&.#=A`0`!`/<``````/______________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
A_____________________RP``````0`!```(`P`#```[
`
end

>Okay,
>first, it was easy getting info on those items in msconfig. All you do is
>copy ( or type when copy & paste functions don't work) whatever you want to
>research into your search engine, I use Google. For example, put igfxtray
>in your search address and see what comes up. I did that for each one.

I didn't know that about google, thanks. I just discovered last week
that you can type any pone number with area code into it and get the
address of the person who pays the bill for that number.

I started to do this, but got confused by the 'radio buttons'
>term. On
>> my general tab, I have 5 items that I can check or uncheck. The first
>> 4 items are squares, the last item is a round check box.
>>
>> From top to bottom, they are:
>>
>> process system.ini
>> process win.ini
>> load system services
>> load startup items
>> use original boot.ini
>
>Sorry, radio buttons is the term used to describe the little squares, or
>sometimes circles that you can place a mark in to select or deselect an
>item.
>Once you select 'Selective Mode, place a mark next to load system services,
>startup items use original ini. which, as I recall is how they will be
>automatically set once you choose selective startup, but I can't remember.

OK, I'll take another look at it.

OK, we have DSL and our outboard DSL modem connects directly into
>the
>> NIC card. Since I will probably never use the internal 56 K modem, is
>> this item totally un-necessary?
>
> You can try remove it via add/remove, but I had trouble with my system
>when I tried to remove mine. I just went to device manager and disabled it.
>It take no space or memory and disabling it was enough for me, but you can
>try for yourself, as we have different modems etc.

I'll leave the software in there because we might need to use a dial
up modem someday..especially since the system is portable (laptop).

>But I still wonder why your Anti virus is not listed. Sheesh, ditch Norton
>and get one of the freeware versions of AVG or Avast.

I don't know why Norton isn't there. But, it does show up as an icon
in the system tray (notification area). Clicking on the icon brings up
Norton and allows the user to select various functions on demand.

Norton has some nice functions, such as windoctor and hard drive
optimization (defragmenting and optimizing the hard drive (based on
application usage info), so that programs used often are placed in the
same area on the HD. It scans the registry in many different ways and
sometimes finds 20 errors in the registry from software that didn't
uninstall properly and that sort of thing. It also finds missing
applications for many registry entries, and removes those entries.
With all the problems that people have with the registry, I feel alot
better having it trimmed and cleaned and I'm hesitant to remove Norton
as it does alot more than virus scanning.

I am less than thrilled with their support however. When a problem is
encountered, if it isn't listed on their website, they leave you
hanging with no other means of resolving the problem except for a pay
per call means. Since the problem could be their fault, I'm not sure I
should get hosed down for an additional $49.99 just to bring it to
their attention:>: Your mileage may vary.

We might change to another virus scanner after Norton expires (in
December).

>Oh, and another thing I just thought of, what is in you your system tray.
>If nothing appears to be showing, click on the little chevron, which will
>briefly display the contents. You don't have to post all of them, but how
>many are there?

OK, listing them is easy-there aren't many:>:

I have the volume control, the synaptics touchpad controls, the Norton
scanner control and the power watch (since it's a laptop).

That's it.

Again, thanks for the help.

OK, here's an update after the changes.

After clicking on use selective startup, I unchecked all the items in
the startup tab. I also checked the selective startup tab radio
buttons as follows:

NOT CHECKED- process system.ini
NOT CHECKED-process win.ini
CHECKED-load system services
CHECKED-load startup items
CHECKED-use original boot.ini

I have to restart to have the changes take effect.

When I restarted however, I went back an looked at the startup tab and
found every single item there now was enabled again. Shouldn't these
items be disabled after I reboot? Did I do something wrong?

I still have just as many services running and the synaptics touchpad
utility program still shown in the Notification Area......I had
expected to see this one disappear after the selective startup was
instituted.

Thanks,

okay, then you have to see if there is an option to stop those form starting
from within the actual program.
Well, I am taking off on the motorcycle..it's a beautiful day and day
light's burning. I'll post back tomorrow.

<TRABEM> wrote in message news:c4ahg1l3qm294enaapu8hsrluflpraao2q@4ax.com...
> OK, here's an update after the changes.
>
> After clicking on use selective startup, I unchecked all the items in
> the startup tab. I also checked the selective startup tab radio
> buttons as follows:
>
> NOT CHECKED- process system.ini
> NOT CHECKED-process win.ini
> CHECKED-load system services
> CHECKED-load startup items
> CHECKED-use original boot.ini
>
> I have to restart to have the changes take effect.
>
> When I restarted however, I went back an looked at the startup tab and
> found every single item there now was enabled again. Shouldn't these
> items be disabled after I reboot? Did I do something wrong?
>
> I still have just as many services running and the synaptics touchpad
> utility program still shown in the Notification Area......I had
> expected to see this one disappear after the selective startup was
> instituted.
>
> Thanks,

>okay, then you have to see if there is an option to stop those form starting
>from within the actual program.
>Well, I am taking off on the motorcycle..it's a beautiful day and day
>light's burning. I'll post back tomorrow.

OK, lot's 'o water been under da bridge since we last chatted here.

I dabbled a bunch on this punchbox problem while you were out ridin'
and even went on a short kayak run with my wife and 8 year old
daughter. Hope your day was as good as mine.

I discovered that I needed to click 'apply' in order to have the items
in startup keep from reverting back to their former state. After
backing out using the apply, then exit, all was ok (almost).

After rebooting, I found that the load startup items radio button had
become grayed out and showed a check in it. When I checked the startup
tab, I found ccApp had appeared there, and that it was checked off
(even though I didn't do it).

So, as it stands now.........all the startup items are disabled (no
check boxes), with the exception of ccApp which came from no where and
decided it needs to run in startup.

The general tab shows selective startup checked and the other radio
buttons are as follows:

NOT CHECKED-process system.ini
NOT CHECKED-process win.ini
CHECKED-load system services
CHECKED, but grayed out-load startup items
CHECKED-use original boot.ini

My guess is that ccApp has something to do with Norton, the first time
I rebooted so that the changes would take effect, Norton was missing
from the Notification Area. I opened Norton manually, and did another
restart. When the system came back up, Norton was showing in the
Notification Area and the ccApp on startup was there and the 'load
startup items' changed to grayed out on the general tab.

So, it looks like all is well..........although I don't understand the
odd behavior associated with the ccApp in startup.

Both my wife and I noticed an immediate improvement.......although the
ram usage and performance graphs look the same in the windows task
manager utility.

It looks like that startup helped, it loads faster, shuts down faster
and does not error out now while shutting down. I also takes alot less
time to switch users....both of us noticed that.

My email program (Eudora) opens much faster My wife noted that the
response when she loads multiple IE pages in fast succession (she
juggles 4 IE sessions and clicks faster than anyone could imagine) was
much quicker.....the pages come up faster when she selects them from
the taskbar and the pages download faster than she has ever seen. She
describes the response as 'much crisper'.

I will run the Spice simulation tomorrow, which is the unofficial
benchmark the Spice software group has created and uses amongst them
selves. Do you know of a general purpose benchmark?? Years ago when I
had a dual floppy dos 8088, we used the pctools benchmark. But, I have
no idea about more modern banchmarks used today.

Drop me a line when you can and thanks so much for sticking in there
all this time.

Regards,

><TRABEM> wrote in message news:c4ahg1l3qm294enaapu8hsrluflpraao2q@4ax.com...
>> OK, here's an update after the changes.
>>
>> After clicking on use selective startup, I unchecked all the items in
>> the startup tab. I also checked the selective startup tab radio
>> buttons as follows:
>>
>> NOT CHECKED- process system.ini
>> NOT CHECKED-process win.ini
>> CHECKED-load system services
>> CHECKED-load startup items
>> CHECKED-use original boot.ini
>>
>> I have to restart to have the changes take effect.
>>
>> When I restarted however, I went back an looked at the startup tab and
>> found every single item there now was enabled again. Shouldn't these
>> items be disabled after I reboot? Did I do something wrong?
>>
>> I still have just as many services running and the synaptics touchpad
>> utility program still shown in the Notification Area......I had
>> expected to see this one disappear after the selective startup was
>> instituted.

ccApp is Norton and should not be disabled.
The grayed out radio button with a check mark is normal, as it is indicating
that of all the possible startup options, only some of them have been
selected.

I know absolutely nothing about benchmark tools, but doing a Google came up
with one article, and lots of hits for software vendors. Then I went to The
Major Geeks to see what they had listed in the Memory and System sections
which was quite a lot.

Here is a link to the article,

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx?pf=true#benchmark1.gif

Next link has some more Freeware, second one down is BenchMem.
http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_memory.html

Link to Major Geeks System tools,

http://majorgeeks.com/downloads9.html

Major Geeks Memory tools
http://majorgeeks.com/downloads26.html

Then, you might want to install those applications to keep your system free
of malware/spyware, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad you stuck with it, and I'm glad I could help. I'll keep
this message flagged for a while to see if you have anymore questions or if
other issues pop up.

<TRABEM> wrote in message news:sggig1h8d0veo8tebo7a48dhkiq113jqvq@4ax.com...
> [...]
>>> OK, here's an update after the changes.
>>>
>>> After clicking on use selective startup, I unchecked all the items in
>>> the startup tab. I also checked the selective startup tab radio
>>> buttons as follows:
>>>
>>> NOT CHECKED- process system.ini
>>> NOT CHECKED-process win.ini
>>> CHECKED-load system services
>>> CHECKED-load startup items
>>> CHECKED-use original boot.ini
>>>
>>> I have to restart to have the changes take effect.
>>>
>>> When I restarted however, I went back an looked at the startup tab and
>>> found every single item there now was enabled again. Shouldn't these
>>> items be disabled after I reboot? Did I do something wrong?
>>>
>>> I still have just as many services running and the synaptics touchpad
>>> utility program still shown in the Notification Area......I had
>>> expected to see this one disappear after the selective startup was

For a complete list of services that can be disabled in a home computer,
check out http://www.blackviper.com/