Why the 8500 vs GF3 debate doesnt matter

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
You all KNOW that it doesnt matter right now. You might need a new card to be ready for the upcoming game-release season (Wolfy!!!!!!!!!!) but regardless of which one you buy today you can throw it in the trash this time next year.

That's right, we are ALL going to be buying a flippin $600 card just before the new DOOM comes out...so save your $250-$350.

That aside, I'm glad to see the 8500 going neck and neck with the GF3. I got a bit worried when 3dfx fell out of the biz. Competition is alive and well. But remember you ATI fans that the 8500 is competing with the "ultra" version of nVidia's product. This means they have about 5 months to get those drivers together before nVidia's Spring lineup gets released. The 8500 might hang with a GF3 but how will it fare against a GF4?

G

you need to realize one thing Smilin....we dont need a new card for every new game that comes out.

mawfia

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
I beg to differ my computer enthusiast friend. Since when did overlocking ever beat added instructions, more pipelines, more memory...etc...you see where im going with this, RIGHT?

Otherwise why do ATI and NVIDIA design cards with new technology why not just make the gf4 a gf3 o'clocked:)

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Eh? Where did that come from? He didn't say overclocking is better than a improvements to the gpu etc... he just said "There's always overclocking."

And overclocking a card is a valid way of eeking out just enough performance to make a new game playable.

As far as Nvidia and ATI, you'll notice they've been releasing higher clocked versions of their old products for a while now. TNT2 vs. TNT2 Ultra. Geforce2 to Pro and Ultra versions. ATI Radeon's quietly getting their core and memory clock bumped up.

And if ATI and Nvidia do it, it's good enough for me ;p

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

G

I don't think anyone is gonna be needing to tweak an ATi 8500 or a GF3 to make next years games work.....

well, unless they still refuse to give up those Sears & Roebuck CPUs (just a joke, no golden bricks please)

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
But if they don't only use their GPU for games.....Also, it's simply fun to overclock. You should see people's reactions when you say you have a water cooling system to cool down your computer because it's so powerful and are considerinf Freon (not that I am actually:)).

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Oh, and about the Gf4- I don't think radeon 8500 will be able to compete, since accroding to some released specs Gf4 will be nFinite FX2 at 300 (imagine- a Gf3 at 300MHz, but even better), 667MHz RAM, 128Mb DDR, and a whole lotta other stuff that will probably make Wusy jack off;)

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Personaly, I'd recomend a liquid nitrogen coolant system. Works well for me. Only way I can run my old 486 at 2.2 GHZ

(Just kidding, in case you were wondering)

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
It starts up Windows 98 in under 10 minutes. That a good benchmark?

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

G

You rule MAN, you just rule :) :) :)

<font color=red>Apple</font color=red> <font color=blue>inside</font color=blue>, <font color=green>idiot</font color=green> <font color=purple>outside</font color=purple>...

<weird> I buying the ATI AIW radeon 8500DV cos of firewire ports, remote control and cos of the remote control. Did i mention about the remote control? oh ya also cos of the firewire ports. *sigh* firewire ports... did i ever tell you the time about firewire ports.. woo those were some crazy times i tells ya. *falls asleep like grandpa simpson and dreams about firewire scanners and firewire harddrives and firewire mice and firewire video cameras* *wakes up* ahhh firewire ports ya firewire ports.. those were the days... and the remote control... that was something ... </weird>

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
ROFLMFAO Grampa simpson cracks me up. "Craaaaaap."

That's all well and good, but you better hope your next vid card has firewire as well. I just kinda find it an odd place to put a firewire port... it's like having a mouse port on your sound card or something.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
hey, that would be so cool, a mouse port on your sound card :smile: , how about a USB plug on your headphones too. Actually the firewire does serve a very useful purpose especially if you are into doing video's using Digital video camer'a and or Digital Camera's. So yes it does make alot of sense for a Video Card designed around doing video's to have a built in FireWire to work with the hardware onboard.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Every new game? no. Doom 3? yep. A GF3 is proably going to swing some 20 fps with the settings cranked up on that engine.

(Yoda voice) "You will, you will."

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Its a pretty educated guess. I can't remember if I read it in one of his forum postings on slashdot or in his plan file but the Carmack has already said a GF3 is going to be the bare minumum video card to run Doom. The Doom engine is not designed to pull 60+ frames per second. It will some day I'm sure, but not when it's released.

G

Smilin means it will receive that frame rate at 12x9 :p

btw, give us a link to that Doom game you talk of... we will be the judge of this :)

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
(Ren voice) Where have you beeen man?

id software's upcoming sequel to Doom!?!? Cnet has some video footage of the engine in action. It was shown off at the macworld expo or something. I'm at work so I can't go surfing all over the place for it, sorry.

It looks real. When you compare the graphics to todays best stuff like wolfenstein (q3) or the unreal engines it's like listening to a telephone speaker and then switching to full dolby surround.

Have you seen the in-game avi footage in diablo II for instance? It's like that only in real time! ALL lighting is dynamic...no more lightmaps for maps and dynamic lights for objects.

The technological jump is similar to the difference between full 32bit OpenGL Quake III versus the original 8bit non-opengl quake I.