Laptop for church - dedicated graphics and projector

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenlight07

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hello,

I am looking for a laptop for my church. I was told that if you're using a digital projector to present with the laptop, you should try to look into a dedicated graphics card. I wanted to know if this was true. We will be projecting PowerPoint slides, video clips, movies and possibly using a software called ProPresent.

I am debating my budget on getting something inexpensive (due to wear and tear of using it) vs. going with a dedicated graphics card and bumping the price up a lot.

Thanks for any feedback.

Technically there should be no issues with integrated graphics and a projector. However, there seems to enough complaints / issues doing a Google search that it is indeed better to use a laptop which has a discrete graphics card when a projector is involved.

It seems the solution is to disable the iGPU within the BIOS so that only the discrete graphics card is enabled. However, not all laptops have that option within the BIOS. For example, my Lenovo Y470 BIOS does not give me the option to disable the Intel HD 3000 graphics core.

The one laptop that I know which has that ability is the Lenovo ThinkPad W520. But that model is no longer produced. It has been replaced by the W530 and I do not know if the BIOS option still exists. Lastly, the W series is relatively expensive; starting price is almost $1,300 so you need to search around for another laptop since it is likely to be more than you are willing to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.