AGP (PCI mode)

Triptonizer

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Okay I admit, i'm a total newbie where graphics is concerned. Since i use my pc almost exclusively for professional digital audio, it's important to have the graphics card set up in a way that it least taxes pci. I thaught an AGP card would do just that. But now i find in the 'advanced settings' of my NVidia GeForce, the card is in 'AGP PCI-mode'; i've searched the net for information what this is, whether it can be changed and how this would affect performance for someone who needs little or no 3D (only glitch free audio :)

Can anyone help me out here? Thx very much.
Jan

Sys specs:
P4 1.5 GHz 128 RDRAM, Asus P4T ATX S423 Intel 850
NVidia GeForce2 MX 400 (latest Detonator drivers, running 16 bit colors, 1024 by 768, @ 75 Hz)
Maxtor DiamondMax UIDE 100 ATA 30GB
M Audio Delta 44 audio card (audio & video on different IRQ)
W2k (did i forget anything? :)

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
AGP is a pumped up PCI slot at the core. So you should be fine with the way you're set up.

Other tips on not taxing the PC:

Dont use Active Desk Top
Dont have a background, or at least anything over 5K
Suspend or shut down thigns like Virus Scanners and programs that search for thigns to activate them, like Real Player Start Center.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

G

it sounds to me like there has been an OOPS in your install of the drivers for the card. try this:

use display properties window and navigate to the adapter tab and click 'change' then click 'next'

then select 'display list in a specific location...' then click 'next'

then select 'show all hardware'

then select 'standard adapter types' under manufacturer, and select 'standard PCI adapter (vga)'

ignore it if windows tells you it is the wrong driver, install it anyway. then boot when told

now, go to control panel 'add/remove programs' and uninstall any video drivers and/or video card utilities.

boot (just to be sure they are cleared)

now unzip the downloaded detonatorXP drivers into any directory.

use the display properties window and navigate to where you are selecting 'change' for your video adapter.

this time tell it to display drivers in a specific location but point to the directory with your detonatorXP drivers in it.

I'm guessing this will solve your problem.

PS: don't forget to enable 4X in bios. Also, disable video bios and/or ram shadowing in bios while you're in there.

Good Luck!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Did you load the Intel 850 chipset driver?

Get it <A HREF="http://developer.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/inf.htm" target="_new">here</A>.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

TRENDING THREADS